Analysis Umpiring Department vs Giants - Please explain, Laura Kane

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Data released by the Herald Sun tonight confirms that we receive the worst free kick counts in the competition by a wide margin.

In addition, we are actually worse off with respect to umpiring when playing at home than away (!!).

The onus is the AFL’s Laura Kane to explain why the Giants are an outlier.

As a club, we need to very carefully monitor this match integrity issue and shine a spotlight on integrity issues.

Our matches must now receive some serious scrutiny from Laura Kane.

For the remainder of season 2024, the Umpiring Department’s treatment of our matches merit being very carefully monitored.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com IMG_1078.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Data released by the Herald Sun tonight confirms that we receive the worst free kick counts in the competition by a wide margin.

In addition, we are actually worse off with respect to umpiring when playing at home than away (!!).

The onus is the AFL’s Laura Kane to explain why the Giants are an outlier.

As a club, we need to very carefully monitor this match integrity issue and shine a spotlight on integrity issues.

Our matches must now receive some serious scrutiny from Laura Kane.

For the remainder of season 2024, the Umpiring Department’s treatment of our matches merit being very carefully monitored.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.comView attachment 2079472
What were the figures for the Bulldogs?

Broadly speaking, I think this is what you should see in an objectively umpires comp.

1. A mid table team should have net free kicks of zero with a slight positive at home and slight negative away

2. A top 4 team should have a positive net free kicks.

3. A bottom 4 team the opposite.

4. We are an outlier as a Top 4 team with the worst net frees and skewed against us at home.

5. GC home frees would be skewed somewhat by their strong home and poor away form.

There’s probably more nuance, but that’s the rough expectation I believe.

Look at South as the sort of pattern you’d expect to see for us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Broadly speaking, I think this is what you should see in an objectively umpires comp.

1. A mid table team should have net free kicks of zero with a slight positive at home and slight negative away

4. We are an outlier as a Top 4 team with the worst net frees and skewed against us at home.

5. GC home frees would be skewed somewhat by their strong home and poor away form.

Or is their strong home form skewed by the free kicks? A couple of dodgy ones got them over the line on more than one occasion

Richmond, despite winning premierships, has consistently been in the worst for free kick differentials over the last five years or so. They have been more of an outlier than anything we've been.

The last couple of years (new coach, new style) we've been very low on the free kick differential list.

The two years before that we were middle of the table.

The year before that, when we made the GF, we were back at the bottom.

Teams who are hard at the ball playing contested ball winning football often have bad free kick differentials because they don't go hard at the ball or the player. If you go hard, you're more likely to give away free kicks.

Teams who are hard at the ball playing contested ball winning football often have bad free kick differentials because they don't go hard at the ball or the player. If you go hard, you're more likely to give away free kicks.
Except if you're the Bulldogs.

Richmond didn’t fare too well with the umpires 2017-20 while winning 3 flags and benefiting from huge, rabid home crowds. Giants have adopted a similar game style which might explain the free differential.
Some teams have more of players whose first instinct is to play for a free. It tends to work better during H&A than finals when the whistle mostly gets put away for duckers and floppers. Not much of an issue for Giants players other than Peatling and sometimes Toby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Umpiring Department vs Giants - Please explain, Laura Kane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back