Umpiring [vs Eagles Mega Thread]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His other interesting observation was that over the past 5 seasons, the top 6 recipients of high contact frees are:
1. J. Selwood
2. A. Selwood
3. A. Swallow
4. B. McGlynn (played juniors with the Selwoods)
5. S. Selwood
6. L. Shuey
Out of interest, given Luke Shuey and Scooter are called duckers by you guys for the number of head high kicks they get. Do you all also think Swallow is a ducker too?

Out of interest, given Luke Shuey and Scooter are called duckers by you guys for the number of head high kicks they get. Do you all also think Swallow is a ducker too?

The only time Swallow goes weak at the knees is when he is concussed.

He would have got those kicks when burrowing in head first earned a free kick.

There's no chance of him displacing a Shuey or a Sellwood these days.

No one comes close to dropping their knees or leaning into the tackle looking to draw the high contact as much your two boys. They approach the contest looking to draw free kicks. Andrew looks to get the ball and dish it off the vast majority of the time.

What the Eagles players do may be within the laws of the game as they are currently interpreted but it is certainly not within the spirit of the game.

Reverse the situation. Majak Daw marks and goals after the siren to win the game for the Roos. An epic come from behind win at Subiaco where North never do well. I imagine you'd be pretty annoyed if the following week was spent discussing a free kick to Andrew Swallow a minute earlier.
This is not an isolated incident in one match.

It is something that has been going on for years.

No one comes close to dropping their knees or leaning into the tackle looking to draw the high contact as much your two boys. They approach the contest looking to draw free kicks. Andrew looks to get the ball and dish it off the vast majority of the time.

What the Eagles players do may be within the laws of the game as they are currently interpreted but it is certainly not within the spirit of the game.
I don't think their goal is to get a head high free kick in every contest. Otherwise you would think they would at least have more free kicks than Swallow.

A lot of people think it is a "blight on the game" the way the alleged duckers try and get out of a tackle. So, it is interesting that Swallow has as many head high free kicks supposedly putting his head over the ball. Maybe they will ban that too when they follow through with whatever it is you want them to ban. After all, the argument goes shrugging the shoulders is dangerous, designed to get a free kick, etc, so I guess those issues still apply.

See post #451, particularly the part about f***ing off back to your own board. You flogs should be embarrassed by what happened on Friday night.

Chocked on my dinner due to hysterical laughter when Gieschens 'explanation' was shown on the news. I don't know how anyone can just sit there, sound all sincere and talk shit like he does week after week.
What I'd really like to see happen this week is what the Indians and Pakistani's angry with extreme rage do when they lose at cricket, burn an effigy of Gieschen outside gate 7 b4 next Sundays game.
Everyone single footy fan I've spoken to the past few days all agree North got dudded big time. This includes a few ex AFL players I work with. Are we all stupid morons Gieschan?

What an absolute joke of an explanation (a bigger joke than his appointment in the first place).
Not only was it shocking working with West Coast supporters who had no F'n idea ("you'll find umpiring decisions even themselves out in games and the umps missed a few for us too"), then you come home and read that the umpires were correct. Now every w***er msgs saying "told you it was a free"
What about the other ridiculous calls you shithead!!!

Anyone got Dexter's phone number because he needs to pay Giesh a visit.

I don't think their goal is to get a head high free kick in every contest. Otherwise you would think they would at least have more free kicks than Swallow.

A lot of people think it is a "blight on the game" the way the alleged duckers try and get out of a tackle. So, it is interesting that Swallow has as many head high free kicks supposedly putting his head over the ball. Maybe they will ban that too when they follow through with whatever it is you want them to ban. After all, the argument goes shrugging the shoulders is dangerous, designed to get a free kick, etc, so I guess those issues still apply.
Dropping the knees to get an in-the-back free kick is the most frustrating one for me as it bails out someone who is tackled perfectly like the Shuey one on the weekend. Every player does it now.

The Scott Selwood attempt to get a high free kick when being tackled across the boundary was amusing.

Any mention of the Adams in the back, in our goalsquare with 3 mins to go?

That would have sealed it. Glass is riding him like a horse, no free.

Up the other end, Shuey sprawls out, whistle straight away.

The Adams non-call arguably worse than the Duckwood free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously, wasn't ducking at the right time on Friday night.......

As an Eagle hating Docker, I could not believe what I saw in the last quarter.

Does the AFL have a policy of home team umpiring decisions to improve the crowds?

Anyone got Dexter's phone number because he needs to pay Giesh a visit.

7255366MID1.jpg

See post #451, particularly the part about f***ing off back to your own board. You flogs should be embarrassed by what happened on Friday night.
I am terribly embarrassed at our poor kicking. Hopefully we can fix that up in the next few weeks.

Still, pretty happy with the result on Friday though. As you would be too if the roles were reversed.

I am terribly embarrassed at our poor kicking. Hopefully we can fix that up in the next few weeks.

Still, pretty happy with the result on Friday though. As you would be too if the roles were reversed.
If the roles were reversed you'd be a better person.

The delay in blowing the whistle still has me confused. Either...

1) The umpire has blown the whistle and paid a free against Swallow in the scrum 3-4 seconds after Adams laid his tackle (how he could pick any high contact in that scrum is another question)
and the Giesch has covered up the umpire's "second one" explanation by saying the umpire meant the high contact with Adams' left arm

2) He's guessed 3 seconds later that Adams made high contact with the initial tackle

Do you honestly believe Swallow drops his knees or ducks into a tackle to win a free kick in the manner that Shuey and the Selwoods do?

Anyone who actually watches games, North supporter or not, will tell you that it is absolute rubbish. If you think he is in the same category you either don't watch him play or you're just a moron.

Now go away.

Just after Wright missed that snap late in the last, he was pushed fair square in the middle of the back and cannoned into a WC - about 35m out. Gave the pause rewind a fair workout for the last 2.5 quarters, some fair dinkum stinkers. The Black mark so annoying, pure guess work.

Gieschen says the umpire was right to gve that free kick - he was wrong to say it was for "the second one on the ground" at the time because it was for the first one. Even though it took such a long time to pay it. You couldn't make this up.

And, as predicted, nothing else got mentioned. Not the terrible advantage, not the "touched" mark.

Time to move on. Everyone knows what they saw, no-one will change their mind now. The players know they are getting good enough to beat anyone, anywhere, and they know what they can do better to hold their line. That one is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back