Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 52 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 36 34.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

can't even watch a replay with enjoyment these days without the maggots crucifying us over and over and over with bloody 50m penalties.
View attachment 1702280
Was all part of the bigger plan. If they hadn't paid that ridiculous 50m penalty, a butterfly would flapped it's wings somewhere and we would not have become a triple flag winning dynasty a decade or so later.

Someone please explain to me, once and for all so that I can park it forever, why are you allowed to shepherd the ball through on the goal line, but cannot shepherd for a teammate to take a mark?

you're not allowed to if you're jack riewoldt

Someone please explain to me, once and for all so that I can park it forever, why are you allowed to shepherd the ball through on the goal line, but cannot shepherd for a teammate to take a mark?
And, why is there an insufficient intent to keep the ball in rule but you can get a clear uncontested punch at the ball in a marking contest and knock it straight into the 15th row?

you're not allowed to if you're jack riewoldt
Or Richo. Remember he did it once (against Sydney I think) when the ball went through almost goalpost high and got penalised?

It just seems incongruous compared to the sensitivity umps have when such blocks result in a mark to a teammate.

Last edited:
When we had 3 umpires the AFL stated that you could not critique their performance due to umpiring shortage?

Can someone explain why AFLHQ thought 4 umpires would be better and where did we find the umpires?

When we had 3 umpires the AFL stated that you could not critique their performance due to umpiring shortage?

Can someone explain why AFLHQ thought 4 umpires would be better and where did we find the umpires?

campaigners are impossible to get rid of Thin Man, so there is always a massive surplus of umpires during a shortage. :)

AFL have moved to 4 umps due to an aging list (fitness/injuries), that's the only reason.

I think it's pretty obvious that the level of officiating this year has been well below previous years across the board but that comes with inexperienced umps joining the senior ones on games and 4 views vs 3 views causing inconsistencies.

Imo they should go back to 3 and use the boundary umps and goal umps to assist any in obvious decisions in their area. They can then change positioning so that they have to run less and not get into as deep areas close to the boundaries.

This is what does my head in. The media drool over how important a contested possession and a clearance is but yet promote how umpiring calls really don’t matter.

Yet a free kick is exactly that . Winning a contested possession with a long clearance and on some occasions a direct shot on goal.

The AFL and the media shovel out more crap than a cult.

AFL have moved to 4 umps due to an aging list (fitness/injuries), that's the only reason.

I think it's pretty obvious that the level of officiating this year has been well below previous years across the board but that comes with inexperienced umps joining the senior ones on games and 4 views vs 3 views causing inconsistencies.

Imo they should go back to 3 and use the boundary umps and goal umps to assist any in obvious decisions in their area. They can then change positioning so that they have to run less and not get into as deep areas close to the boundaries.
Yep, not sure why boundary umps aren’t used like linesman in soccer and pay obvious free kicks. All they should be told to pay is holding the ball and high tackles that field umps might not be able to see.

Yep, not sure why boundary umps aren’t used like linesman in soccer and pay obvious free kicks. All they should be told to pay is holding the ball and high tackles that field umps might not be able to see.
And maybe a throw or two...and possibly call out 10 meter kick/mark...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazed at some of the frees that weren't given to us today, at least 5 holding the ball tackles missed.
The one that wrecked my head was the advantage awarded to the Giants in the last quarter, that led to a goal.

What the umpy decided to overlook was the incorrect disposal by the Giants player immediately after the awarded free kick. You can't have it both ways - if the advantage was to be awarded, then that Giants player should've either been pinged for throwing the footy, or the ball brought back to the original player.

And of course the commentary team did not think it worthy of a mention, yet Brad Johnson was busting for a 50 metre penalty to be paid earlier on when a Tiger player took his position on the mark perhaps half a metre at most past where the Giants player marked it.

easy.....afl corruption..... a goal that goes thru with a blatant shepherd = 60 second pointsbet ad break....

a marking tussle on the wing = NO time to squeeze in a 45 second sportsbet ad

The one that wrecked my head was the advantage awarded to the Giants in the last quarter, that led to a goal.

What the umpy decided to overlook was the incorrect disposal by the Giants player immediately after the awarded free kick. You can't have it both ways - if the advantage was to be awarded, then that Giants player should've either been pinged for throwing the footy, or the ball brought back to the original player.

And of course the commentary team did not think it worthy of a mention, yet Brad Johnson was busting for a 50 metre penalty to be paid earlier on when a Tiger player took his position on the mark perhaps half a metre at most past where the Giants player marked it.

don't forget the opposite in the last when Dusty kicked 2 goals, the 1st clearly an advantage, only for both to be brought back

This is how i look at it when comparing how teams get umpired. Swap Richmond with Collingwood and the free kick count is not 15-10 GWS' way with everything exactly the same in the game.

Remember umpires go into games with pre conceived ideas of how a team might play, who might scrag and what not.

Example: they say " watch for pendes being held " so they look for that and miss the pies holding onto their opponent at the same contest
and the same with us, they are looking for us committing offences and in watching out for that they miss us being held, blocked, arms chopped etc
or when our forwards are held it's play on because the umpires in their pre match discussion have decided that we add mayo to the hold.

I saw a doco with Razor where he explained this is what the umpires discuss pre game so before the game even starts the umpires have made up their minds how they are going to umpire the game instead of just going out there and umpiring without pre conceived ideas.

And that's not even with the AFL telling them what to go easy on or clamp down on for that particular week

don't forget the opposite in the last when Dusty kicked 2 goals, the 1st clearly an advantage, only for both to be brought back
The first one was actually rushed through by the oppo... the 2nd one, yeah, it was dodgy to call it back but he would have been paying "advantage" instead of possession change as the play was clearly not done properly etc, so the umpire wasn't in the wrong, but it wasn't an ideal application of the rules, either.

Man that non free kick to Grimes for too high pissed me off big time. Then to get called for incorrect disposal was sending my blood pressure sky high.
The cherry on the top was when the GWS player a short time later copped a slight high glancing graze across the back of the shoulder and a free kick.
That's when you know the umpire is a cheating flog.

Sunday just confirmed for me what an absolute shambles the game as a whole is in at the moment. It's borderline unwatchable. I've watched footy my entire life and I have zero understanding of why free kicks are being paid and for what reasons. I don't have that problem with any other sport and before some smart arse from the AFL media unit blames me individually, I'm a pretty informed and educated viewer.

The inconsistency of application in the holding the ball/incorrect disposal rule, over the shoulder calls, in addition to push in the back is just ridiculous. That's without getting into 'technical' rules like the stand rule and blocking in marking contests.

Using some examples from the weekend:
  1. Ryan got pinged early on for an 'in the back' free that goes unpunished contextually on every forward every week, but at the same time will be almost exclusively paid against defenders. Shocking call. Just bring back 'hands in the back' because at least then everyone was clear on what was a push versus a 'standing your ground while walking forward with your hands in opponents back' which sometimes gets paid or sometimes never gets paid if your name is Tom Hawkins.
  2. The Grimes gets taken clearly over the shoulder, then is called holding the ball, which the umpire must have called on the assumption he ducked which he didn't. The extent of the contact above the shoulder and the fact there was no prior opportunity should have meant at worst a ball up. Meanwhile brushes of the shoulder on blokes that are arching their backs get paid which is further perplexing.
Finally, someone needs to sort out holding the ball. Sometimes a player is allowed to shuffle/throw the ball forward and it is play on, sometimes they're allowed to hold it forever after having an opportunity to dispose of the ball for a ball up and sometimes they're just allowed to drop it unpunished. Then all of a sudden a different field umpire will interpret any of the three instances above as holding the ball. Don't even get me started on the 'dragging it in' ones where the player adjudged to have dragged it in does not even have possession with two opposition players deliberately keeping the ball in. It's a blight on the game and someone needs to sort it out.

Interesting the perva$ive corrosivene$$ of money re TV right$...Gambling TV ad$...entrenched Old Boy$ Club Admin upon our now once great and beautiful game! And it is happening all before our very eyes...all smoke and mirrors! And the silence is truly deafening!
The constant rule changes to Footy without seeking feedback from all the participants in the sport is disgusting...plus the absence of trialling these new rule changes in the off season and pre-season games is also mind boggling!
The very fact...astounding...that the AFL can demand a State Government to build a State of the Art Stadium before they can acquire the 19th AFL Team License is a scary fact in itself! Think a little while about that one! And that such a demand can be seen, as reasonable by all, is another reason for concern!
The cynic in me suspects big time that both the AFL and the various Politicians have stitched up the footy landscape, tightly and seamlessly, for their own vested interest$. The cynic in me says, loudly, that the AFL Comp is a huge industry and provides jobs for quite a few...ticketing, transport, food vendors, TV, newspapers, AFL Clubs, Player contracts, Managers, Physios...just...some of the list...and commands Government respect from both the Political and Business Suits! The AFL is not a sporting organization anymore it is simply a cold hearted commercial Business geared to maximize it's profit$ any which way it can, trampling all before it, in the pursuit of profit. Even to the point of now dismantling it's footy traditions...grassroot clubs/regional competitions... goal square...no goal umpire white coats...four umpires...murmurings of night GF...TV saturation of gambling ads...more Football sides in Tassy and possibly NT! And what then?!? Why stop at 20 AFL Teams go the extra for NZ South and North Islands?!?...New Guinea as well?!? A two division competition with promotion and relegation?!? An AFL First Division where their is no salary cap at all, anything goes First Division...the Second Division for the losers...
The cynic in me thinks the business tentacles of this AFL Business reach far and deep...and the interests of the smaller player...the long suffering supporter..are not of it's concern...or even the interests of the traditional smaller AFL Clubs...or even further back...our grassroots! The AFL, make no mistake, is a hungry Business...hungry for growth, influence, profit, prestige. Unlimited growth, in any organization/business, is an unsustainable concept, the current environment and its issues concerning unlimited growth ought to give it pause for thought. Heck the AFL does not even practise re-cycling...no regeneration of it's grassroots... where the game of footy originated from. It is even now, parlaying with the devil, the mighty dollar, to change the playing field of the AFL from natural grass to artificial pixilation...from football field to TV. Forget the footy crowds...the game will become televised and they can come when the Final$ are on, simples, if they can afford it! Once those natural, colourful, energetic, loud, boisterous, pulsating crowds are diminished and long gone, it will be like escaping air from a ballon...once gone never to return...deflated in sight and mind!

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring

Back