Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 52 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 36 34.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They brought in the 4th cos their panel of umps are getting too old to get around like they used to (this is from an source within the umpiring industry)
if they are too old then too bad...f off and get a desk job or something. imo rfc needs a complete clean out of afl house umpiring department starting with the biased oldies if we are ever going to get a fair deal with frees and the judiciary. it would also make sense to train umps from other codes as they would not have any subvonscious bias towards favourite clubs etc...

Or maybe remove the holding free altogether as it's a rule that appears to be more and more perception based. If the holding rule was removed when both players have their arms around each other it would simply become a matter of strength and body positioning rather than umpire guesswork or subjective perceptions. Not saying it would be an ideal scenario but perhaps it would safe a few frees against us every week.
the holding free HAS been removed for rfc. cannot remember when we were last paid one despite Jack getting held and scragged at least 10 times a game....

this. Razor talking himself up and building a media personality and profile around himself is a prime example of how the umps now think the game is about them. sickening.
I actually think Razor umpires pretty well, the problem with him is he likes to make it too much about himself.
Will pay a 50 for dissent like that because he can’t be questioned, but I think actually umpires as he sees it without any real bias.
At least not the sort of bias show by other umps.

I posted this in the observation thread and added an extra important comment:

You would think with four umpires and a goal review system the majority of poor decisions by umpires and dubious goals would be minimised, but they’ve actually multiplied. Commentators and all media turn an eye to it as they’re interested only in keeping their jobs.
I admire umpires back in the day like Robin Sawers, Bill Deller, Glen James etc etc as there was only one of them running around. The Four umpire system now is over officiating the game with all of a hidden agenda to support certain teams.
Had to switch to three radio stations bc the commentary was all about Collingwood and ended up on the ABC and sadly it was no better.
Give me the commentators like Louie the lip and Peter Landy anytime as they were unbiased and called the game as it was. They even bagged the umpires. I remember them calling a South Melbourne v Footscray game and Robin Sawers was having a howler. Louie said ,”by golly he’s had a dirty day today and should’ve taken the day off”. Good old Peter replied with ,”he already has Louie”. The next day on WofS some umpiring chief came on and looked at Sawers three worst howlers and agreed all three were poor.
Although Sawers had a dirty day that Saturday it wasn't of any influence on the game as his decisions were 60-40 in favour of one team. Over the past few years it's been up and over 80% which makes me believe it's corruption more than human error and incompetence as it's repeatedly happening. Now I don't care if your profession is a cleaner or a Psychiatrist they must all be held accountable otherwise you will turn the place to shit with Lunatics running the asylum.
Umpires are not being held accountable anymore by their leaders / AFL nor the media and the only reasons are in protecting them which means the standard can’t improve or the other is they’re instructed to blatantly favour a certain team on the day.

I posted this in the observation thread and added an extra important comment:

You would think with four umpires and a goal review system the majority of poor decisions by umpires and dubious goals would be minimised, but they’ve actually multiplied. Commentators and all media turn an eye to it as they’re interested only in keeping their jobs.
I admire umpires back in the day like Robin Sawers, Bill Deller, Glen James etc etc as there was only one of them running around. The Four umpire system now is over officiating the game with all of a hidden agenda to support certain teams.
Had to switch to three radio stations bc the commentary was all about Collingwood and ended up on the ABC and sadly it was no better.
Give me the commentators like Louie the lip and Peter Landy anytime as they were unbiased and called the game as it was. They even bagged the umpires. I remember them calling a South Melbourne v Footscray game and Robin Sawers was having a howler. Louie said ,”by golly he’s had a dirty day today and should’ve taken the day off”. Good old Peter replied with ,”he already has Louie”. The next day on WofS some umpiring chief came on and looked at Sawers three worst howlers and agreed all three were poor.
Although Sawers had a dirty day that Saturday it wasn't of any influence on the game as his decisions were 60-40 in favour of one team. Over the past few years it's been up and over 80% which makes me believe it's corruption more than human error and incompetence as it's repeatedly happening. Now I don't care if your profession is a cleaner or a Psychiatrist they must all be held accountable otherwise you will turn the place to s**t with Lunatics running the asylum.
Umpires are not being held accountable anymore by their leaders / AFL nor the media and the only reasons are in protecting them which means the standard can’t improve or the other is they’re instructed to blatantly favour a certain team on the day.

What punters need to understand is that adding an extra field umpire wont make decision making better, it'll just make it less consistent - which is exactly what is happening. One umpire has a higher bar for infringements compared to the other.

Ideally we'd have only 2 on the field at one time but the game is so fast that no normal human can physically cover the ground needed to get from contest to contest for 120 mins.

IMO the boundary umpires should be assisting in decision making (through their communication system), as well as the goal umpires, like they do in other sports, soccer being the main example. This would cover the angles that field umpires cant see and mean that the field umpires dont have to burn themselves to get close to the boundaries. They can take the communication from the boundary umpires or leave it - they would be only there to assist - the final decision would be the field umpires at the end of the day.

What punters need to understand is that adding an extra field umpire wont make decision making better, it'll just make it less consistent - which is exactly what is happening. One umpire has a higher bar for infringements compared to the other.

Ideally we'd have only 2 on the field at one time but the game is so fast that no normal human can physically cover the ground needed to get from contest to contest for 120 mins.

IMO the boundary umpires should be assisting in decision making (through their communication system), as well as the goal umpires, like they do in other sports, soccer being the main example. This would cover the angles that field umpires cant see and mean that the field umpires dont have to burn themselves to get close to the boundaries. They can take the communication from the boundary umpires or leave it - they would be only there to assist - the final decision would be the field umpires at the end of the day.
Yes and no. I think goal umpires have a huge responsibility as it is and they’re struggling even with the support of the review system. I agree with the boundary umpires having more input, but it could also get uglier as there maybe too many cooks spoiling the broth with the game being held up by constant whistles or communication with field umpires. The game could end up a stop start festival and poor spectating bc of more confusion.
The answer to me is simple and they get it right on GF days. Just call only the obvious ones and anything contentious just let it roll on.

So now the definition of dissent pointing at the screen?

As far as I'm aware, it always has been. There was even a massive media and supporter furor when Gunston and Mitchell were penalised for this exact same thing last season, and everyone was made aware that pointing at the screen will be 50m regardless of context or mannerism. I believe Wilkie or Howard for the Saints was also penalised for this earlier this season/late last season.

Don't blame your inability to know the rules on umpire bias or conspiracy. Regardless of what you think the rule should by, Bolton should know better, regardless of what kind of dissent we've seen not paid.

Give it a spell mate. It’s becoming clear who you’re barracking for.

Just because I'm in the minority for 1 decision? Please. And you say I'm the one who should give it a spell. Pot, please meet kettle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think Razor umpires pretty well, the problem with him is he likes to make it too much about himself.
Will pay a 50 for dissent like that because he can’t be questioned, but I think actually umpires as he sees it without any real bias.
At least not the sort of bias show by other umps.
He's garbage like the rest of them

As far as I'm aware, it always has been. There was even a massive media and supporter furor when Gunston and Mitchell were penalised for this exact same thing last season, and everyone was made aware that pointing at the screen will be 50m regardless of context or mannerism. I believe Wilkie or Howard for the Saints was also penalised for this earlier this season/late last season.

Don't blame your inability to know the rules on umpire bias or conspiracy. Regardless of what you think the rule should by, Bolton should know better, regardless of what kind of dissent we've seen not paid.

Just because I'm in the minority for 1 decision? Please. And you say I'm the one who should give it a spell. Pot, please meet kettle.

Once again you miss the point or deliberately deflect.
Dissent was always about a demonstrative display at the umpire. Now I can live with Bolton copping 50 because that’s what he did.
But I can’t cop the 20 other identical displays, some much worse (I.e. Porkins) that get totally overlooked.
And with you it’s not just the 1 decision. The dropping the ball one also is an inconsistent farce. Some without prior are allowed to drop or throw it others are not.
You came riding in to argue for the maggots on that one too.
It’s inconsistency that’s wrecking it and you can’t see that.

Once again you miss the point or deliberately deflect.
Dissent was always about a demonstrative display at the umpire. Now I can live with Bolton copping 50 because that’s what he did.
But I can’t cop the 20 other identical displays, some much worse (I.e. Porkins) that get totally overlooked.

Again, pot meet kettle.

What you're describing is a subjective decision that we always knew that the umpires were going to f*ck up. Am I talking about this kind of decision? No. In terms of dissent, a player pointing at the screen while arguing with an umpire is as objective as this rule is ever going to be.

We're not debating or arguing over a subjective decision here. If you want to talk about Hawkins or any other player shouting at the umpire, be my guest. But that is a completely different situation to what Bolton did, and belongs in a completely different thread/argument/conversation.

And with you it’s not just the 1 decision. The dropping the ball one also is an inconsistent farce. Some without prior are allowed to drop or throw it others are not.
You came riding in to argue for the maggots on that one too.

Oh wow. 2 decisions then. My bad. Jeez, that really paints me as an ump supporter.

Again, it's not my fault you don't understand the rules. You can disagree with the rules as much as you want, but in a conversation as to whether umpires are being biased or not, there's no point giving your opinion on how sh*t the rules are.

I merely pointed out that Crouch was tackled immediately when he got possession of the ball, and therefore had no prior. Is this me agreeing with every HTB the umpires have made? If it is, please point out how or why. I will be waiting.

It’s inconsistency that’s wrecking it and you can’t see that.

Again, please tell me where I've been inconsistent with my posts. Have I claimed that umpires are consistent? Have I made posts that have contradicted other posts? Please, I'm waiting for the receipts on this one.

LOL

The League's head of umpiring, Dan Richardson, said in a statement on Monday afternoon that the call had been missed by the field umpires, who had a "restricted view of the contest".

They should allocate the extra funds they get at the next AFL Broadcast deal to professionalising the umpiring department and rules committee. single biggest thing they could do to improve the game. today being run by the equivalent of a 3rd world banana republic bureaucracy.

4th umpire was just a gimmick solution. They need a deep review of the rules committee, tribunal, umpire training and professional standards. Time to clean out the possum poo

I think we don’t do enough complaining,it’s been ages since we got an apology lord knows we deserve a few

I think we don’t do enough complaining,it’s been ages since we got an apology lord knows we deserve a few
Starting with the video review in the final vs Brisbane lol

LOL

The League's head of umpiring, Dan Richardson, said in a statement on Monday afternoon that the call had been missed by the field umpires, who had a "restricted view of the contest".
What a poorly worded title to that article. It’s like media are still covering for Collingwood making like they lost.
ps youre not going to be happy as MRJ is another victim of Loo.

To be honest, they just need to make them full time...

Video review sessions like players during the week
Go out and train with clubs during the week
Move the U18s comp to Wednesday nights and get them to umpire that (extra umpiring but also showcase the U18s on TV through Foxtel/kayo)

Whilst it's part time, they don't focus their skills on footy during the week, they do that with their normal jobs, and rightly so, it would also then create a career for people to aspire to, and help build participation numbers in the lower leagues and community football with people thinking they can make a living out of umpiring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring

Back