Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 52 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 36 34.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

"the call had been missed by the field umpires, who had a "restricted view of the contest".

So what we need now is even more umpires if the four we have are missing things?
I'm sure they wouldve seen it if he was wearing a yellow sash

To be honest, they just need to make them full time...

Video review sessions like players during the week
Go out and train with clubs during the week
Move the U18s comp to Wednesday nights and get them to umpire that (extra umpiring but also showcase the U18s on TV through Foxtel/kayo)

Whilst it's part time, they don't focus their skills on footy during the week, they do that with their normal jobs, and rightly so, it would also then create a career for people to aspire to, and help build participation numbers in the lower leagues and community football with people thinking they can make a living out of umpiring.

They used to be FT, it didn't work. It cant work for a sport like AFL.

It works for match officials in big European leagues where they are forced to travel mid week, or have international appointments that see them on the road regularly.

AFL runs for 9 months of the year, and they only play once a week (if that). Its not a full time job.

Add to that the mental demons you go through analysing every one of your mistakes over and over without having something else (another job) to take your focus away.

Add to that, you're selling your future career away (some of these guys are top tier barristers, etc) by only doing football for 10+ years of your life.

FT model doesn't work.

To be honest, they just need to make them full time...

Video review sessions like players during the week
Go out and train with clubs during the week
Move the U18s comp to Wednesday nights and get them to umpire that (extra umpiring but also showcase the U18s on TV through Foxtel/kayo)

Whilst it's part time, they don't focus their skills on footy during the week, they do that with their normal jobs, and rightly so, it would also then create a career for people to aspire to, and help build participation numbers in the lower leagues and community football with people thinking they can make a living out of umpiring.
Agree and also given some independence so they are not seen to being influenced by the AFL's Old Boys Club!
Come back to TV and explain their decisions...right and wrong...
Admit to Umpiring mistakes, howlers and good 'uns!
More Umpire interviews on TV Footy Shows...
More Umpire reminiscence's of the game published...
(Yeah I know...never...ever going to happen!)

U
Agree and also given some independence so they are not seen to being influenced by the AFL's Old Boys Club!
Come back to TV and explain their decisions...right and wrong...
Admit to Umpiring mistakes, howlers and good 'uns!
More Umpire interviews on TV Footy Shows...
More Umpire reminiscence's of the game published...
(Yeah I know...never...ever going to happen!)
Umpire of the Week,
Decision of the Week, and where are the umpiring stats ...

Spent my Saturday afternoons as a kid going to watch my Dad umpire Amateurs.

He was really good, had played 200 games of country football, so knew the game.

Crazy back then ... it was just him - clubs supplied the boundary umpire. Can remember after one game when we climbed out the bathroom window because the losing team where pounding on the umpires door looking for a Lynching lol

It works for match officials in big European leagues where they are forced to travel mid week, or have international appointments that see them on the road regularly.

AFL runs for 9 months of the year, and they only play once a week (if that). Its not a full time job.

Add to that the mental demons you go through analysing every one of your mistakes over and over without having something else (another job) to take your focus away.

Add to that, you're selling your future career away (some of these guys are top tier barristers, etc) by only doing football for 10+ years of your life.

FT model doesn't work.
I appreciate it hasn't worked in the past... and I appreciate it will need a major remodeling for it work, but the game is far more professional now than it has ever been, for people who have so much impact on the game to remain part time is not acceptable for a business this size.

Having them umpire the NAB league on Wednesday nights, umpire AFLW after the season, getting an off season (just like players), there are multiple ways to be able to create a credible workload for it to be full time.

Infact their careers can mirror those of players. They would have sufficient time to study on the side, just like players, and then have a career to go into once their umpiring career is over. If they are getting $300k per season, it would certainly make it a profession for people to aim for.

I appreciate it hasn't worked in the past... and I appreciate it will need a major remodeling for it work, but the game is far more professional now than it has ever been, for people who have so much impact on the game to remain part time is not acceptable for a business this size.

Having them umpire the NAB league on Wednesday nights, umpire AFLW after the season, getting an off season (just like players), there are multiple ways to be able to create a credible workload for it to be full time.

Infact their careers can mirror those of players. They would have sufficient time to study on the side, just like players, and then have a career to go into once their umpiring career is over. If they are getting $300k per season, it would certainly make it a profession for people to aim for.

On the AFLW and NAB league stuff, there needs to be a pathway for developing umpires to go through the system too. If the top dogs are doing all those games, it'll be impossible to breed the next generation. I also think the top umps would loathe doing those games and it would burn them out/take away any enjoyment.

U

Umpire of the Week,
Decision of the Week, and where are the umpiring stats ...

Spent my Saturday afternoons as a kid going to watch my Dad umpire Amateurs.

He was really good, had played 200 games of country football, so knew the game.

Crazy back then ... it was just him - clubs supplied the boundary umpire. Can remember after one game when we climbed out the bathroom window because the losing team where pounding on the umpires door looking for a Lynching lol
WOW...that would have been great! Whereabouts?!?

On the AFLW and NAB league stuff, there needs to be a pathway for developing umpires to go through the system too. If the top dogs are doing all those games, it'll be impossible to breed the next generation. I also think the top umps would loathe doing those games and it would burn them out/take away any enjoyment.
I agree 100% that there needs to be good pathways.

But look at the afl now, blokes well past it still umpiring because there's nothing coming through the existing pathways, because they are not that attractive.

I was involved with one of those umpiring programs in the last 12 months and I tell you, creating better pathways, will strengthen the talent pool, not weaken in (through perceived lack of opportunity). And the top umpires might only do an 18's game every second week, in conjunction with an umpire coming up through the ranks...

I know for a fact, current AFL umpire were either encouraged to not retire or encourage to come back from retirement due to nothing below .

If we had umpires admitting wrong decisions* then we would have lynchings.

Do we fully expect Collingwood supporters to behave themselves, for example, if they're not favoured?

* I avoided writing 'mistakes'. I'm not so sure they're all mistakes. And that puts the idea of professional umpires into perspective. While it makes sense it may not fix the problem at all. Not every wrong decision is down to incompetence. No one could be that incompetent.

"the call had been missed by the field umpires, who had a "restricted view of the contest".

So what we need now is even more umpires if the four we have are missing things?
Lmao CFL cmon ya tools,4 umpies on the ground and all of em had a restricted view?
What a load of bullshit.

And Nick Daicos whinging for a 50 and getting it lmfao.
Imagine if a Tiger did that? The free would be overturned.

I’m sick to death of the blatant cheating of the umpires.

Get your act together CFL,a bloody laughing stock.

So ah...

This is the free kick ladder after Round 15, as presented by SEN.

1687841089175.png

If you go back and look at the ladders SEN did for previous years, you'll see that every year from and including 2017, we're 18th in most and 17th in one or two.

I've been harping on to mates about this at work and they're at the point of telling me to shut up.

But isn't that frustrating? Like, if it isn't happening to your team so, so often, of course you'll say "don't blame the umps..." Very easy to brush it off as nothing. But 7 years running? FMD...

I asked them, Have you ever been annoyed at the umps during a game? I got a Yes of course. Then I asked, during that game, did you feel annoyed and/or like you were being stuffed-over by the umps? Yes, they said, but that they got over it quickly post-game.

There's my point, of course you get over it quickly. But imagine you could answer Yes to those above questions EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK? Would you not start to hyper focus on it? Would you get over it so quickly then?

Blows my mind how people can't acknowledge that Richmond are consistently last on the free kick ladder and just tell us to stop sooking. If you had to feel annoyed at umpiring every week rather than once in a while, you'd understand... No wonder we can't get over it, literally 7 years in a row we're at the bottom. It was already a trend 5 years ago, now it's just corrupt.

Anyway..anyway...

EDIT: I get that this is ranty, obsessive, potentially even annoying. But if I don't harp on about it, who is going to? Someone has to if we're ever gonna see change. It's mind-boggling that this consistent trend year after year hasn't already been pointed out in the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if Collingwood were last on the free kick count every year, the media wouldn't be shutting up about it and also if Richmond was top of the pops, could you imagine if we were winning counts by 10 every second or third week.
Nothing truer said.

The missed free kick to Dawson wasn't a mistake. It was at least a couple of umpires too petrified to blow the whistle in a cauldron for an incident at a critical time of the match.

There's no way they didn't see the infringement.

AFL playing us for fools again.
Yeah, there was no obstruction on view

I posted this in the observation thread and added an extra important comment:

You would think with four umpires and a goal review system the majority of poor decisions by umpires and dubious goals would be minimised, but they’ve actually multiplied. Commentators and all media turn an eye to it as they’re interested only in keeping their jobs.
I admire umpires back in the day like Robin Sawers, Bill Deller, Glen James etc etc as there was only one of them running around. The Four umpire system now is over officiating the game with all of a hidden agenda to support certain teams.
Had to switch to three radio stations bc the commentary was all about Collingwood and ended up on the ABC and sadly it was no better.
Give me the commentators like Louie the lip and Peter Landy anytime as they were unbiased and called the game as it was. They even bagged the umpires. I remember them calling a South Melbourne v Footscray game and Robin Sawers was having a howler. Louie said ,”by golly he’s had a dirty day today and should’ve taken the day off”. Good old Peter replied with ,”he already has Louie”. The next day on WofS some umpiring chief came on and looked at Sawers three worst howlers and agreed all three were poor.
Although Sawers had a dirty day that Saturday it wasn't of any influence on the game as his decisions were 60-40 in favour of one team. Over the past few years it's been up and over 80% which makes me believe it's corruption more than human error and incompetence as it's repeatedly happening. Now I don't care if your profession is a cleaner or a Psychiatrist they must all be held accountable otherwise you will turn the place to s**t with Lunatics running the asylum.
Umpires are not being held accountable anymore by their leaders / AFL nor the media and the only reasons are in protecting them which means the standard can’t improve or the other is they’re instructed to blatantly favour a certain team on the day.
Good melt. They don't question the umpires because they want umpires coming through the lower leagues they have stated that many times. Doesn't excuse shit umpiring though. Players are criticised so why can't umpires?

FT model doesn't work.
They get well paid for part time then not bad for 2 hours work a week

Good melt. They don't question the umpires because they want umpires coming through the lower leagues they have stated that many times. Doesn't excuse s**t umpiring though. Players are criticised so why can't umpires?
That's my point as then there is no accountability and by your post it starts from lower levels. That explains why it's been so terrible for years now as umpires coming through are not being corrected and trained to a high standard..

Do we fully expect Collingwood supporters to behave themselves, for example, if they're not favoured?

* I avoided writing 'mistakes'. I'm not so sure they're all mistakes. And that puts the idea of professional umpires into perspective. While it makes sense it may not fix the problem at all. Not every wrong decision is down to incompetence. No one could be that incompetent.
No bc they would be forced to get better and standard would lift. Best umpires are the ones who only call obvious ones.

The most correct word you have used is “fix”

The most correct word you have used is “fix”
As long as you are in on the fix, eh?

Seriously though, there appears an agenda or at least a bias whether it is a feeling or a spoken sentiment by some whistle blowers it needs not to matter. What do we get from whinging and moaning?

Life is not fair, even or just, it is prevailing regardless of how against the grain, the odds, or the stream you are swimming.

Success is not guaranteed, it is actually unlikely, but success any other way is not quite as sweet.

Enjoy it as it is boys, because these victories are rugged, beautiful and joyous. In fact, Premierships won this way are flat out righteous

Danny Mcbride Dancing GIF by The Righteous Gemstones
Hbo Gemstoneshbo GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

I looked at the seasons from 2010 to current day trying to pinpoint when it all fell apart for us in the free kicks department and i found it, in 2015 we had a +71 differential to sit at +18 overall for the seasons 2010-2015.

What happened after that can be just called cheating, favourable treatment, biased umpiring, harsh treatment or whatever you want to call it. To show comparisons i included Collingwood, Western Bulldogs and Geelong.

2010-2015 overall differentials.

Western Bulldogs + 63, Collingwood +57, Richmond +18, Geelong -29

For the years 2016 - current day overall differentials can only be described as....i don't know what to call it see for yourselves.

Western Bulldogs +510, Collingwood +389, Geelong -40 and Richmond.....................-506

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring

Back