Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

It is freaking crazy!!!

I did not think this game was that hard... the more "professional" they have tried to get over the past couple of years, the worse they have got.

Frees should only be paid if the incident has an impact on play or is dangerous...ie holding a man away from the ball or clear push in the back which results in the player being forced out of position or dangerous contact off the ball.

They are too busy trying to justify their existence...imagine if it was that simple we did not need a director of umpiring? Geish would be out of a job...oh, better continue to confuse things so all umpires are crap and I remain employed!!
Exactly. :thumbsu: Giesh and the afl have a lot to answer for. They are making this game an appauling spectacle.

Of course not. But Collingwood screamed bloody murder last week at the "lopsided" 14-18 free kick count. By all reports, tonight was atrocious in general, umpires pulling frees and 50's from literally nowhere.

Yeah, pretty average umpiring..agreed. However Saints could have or should have won by more with their missed shots at goal.

Congrats Sainters!

ps: didn't hear about Hentschel's knee till just then and as much as I dislike the Crows I hope it doesn't put him out for too long.

adelaide were poor tonight and St Kilda really pressured them out of it.

having said that St Kilda probably had the best of it. but strangely the most baffling ones i saw tonight led directly to an Adelaide goal. in the 2nd qtr the 50M for backing into the man on the mark and then a push in the back decision that was hardly more like a light touch on the bum.

holding the ball is now a lottery. the umpire seems to consult some sort of spirit guide and then makes a ruling based on some sort of astrological reading. (i know that doesn't make sense but neither did most of the holding the ball decisions tonight on both sides)

McBurney is Mr Tiggy-Touch-Wood. Ruining the game. His interpretations seem wildly different from the others'.

Look at his ****ing head for christs sake. No-one with that head can not be a ****.

St Kilda pressured and pressured and forced Adelaide into a) a lot of mistakes and b) into 'corners' allowing them to lay tackles and recieve HTB calls. St Kilda were first to the ball most of the night. Most of the frees were there although there were a few dodgy ones here and there.

The frustrating thing is the HTB calls. They seem to have completely revamped the rule.
1) They are now paying dropping the ball for the first time almost since the 80s. I agree with this interpretation, but its definitely a massive change from previous years

2) It seems that prior opportunity has gone completely out the window. As soon as you touch the ball it seems to be considered prior op even if both arms are pinned and no chance of getting rid of the ball

3) They are taking twice as long to blow the whistle in tackles.

Its frustrating as its so different.

An Adelaide fan complaining about umpires, that's hilarious.

Get a tape of last week, what goes around comes around.

Ignoring the count, the umpiring was woeful tonight.

the count could have been 20 each, and it was still woeful. How can they consistently get it so wrong?

So many times obvious frees were missed, then they find one out of nowhere!?

Fair and reasonable.

These things always sort themselves out.

Suck it Crows you reamed us last week.

Top night, GO SAINTS.

WOW WEE BANG BOOM TIME

Absolutely shocking umpiring all night against the Crows.

I have no reason to defend the Crows because I had money on the saints, but that was probably the most one-sided umpiring display I have seen.

If I was a Crows supporter I'd be pretty pissed off(I didn't see the umpiring last week so cannot comment)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An Adelaide fan complaining about umpires, that's hilarious.

Get a tape of last week, what goes around comes around.

Yeah this week it was 32-10 - You really think any side would ****ing win a game with that count. Absolute tripe. Over=umpired bullshit and no wonder Sam Newman doesn't watch footy any more. Last week was 14-18 btw and Collingwood went nuts. The HTB rule is a joke. No one is willing to go in hard for the ball now as you're going to get pinged. The HTB rule is basically promoting outside soft receiving shit- uncontested footy.

You gotta be kidding ..only one team is getting the iffy frees ..the Crows can't buy a free kick at the moment .

it was a two way street, adelaide got a few puzzing 50's, and no free kicks paid to the saints, where there should have been.
its about time umpires havent been totally sucked in by the feral supporters

Of course not. But Collingwood screamed bloody murder last week at the "lopsided" 14-18 free kick count. By all reports, tonight was atrocious in general, umpires pulling frees and 50's from literally nowhere.

I don't think the count matters that much. I was at the game last week and was surprised when I saw that the count was so close. It seemed like we were geeting screwed all day. Its probably a result of the ones you think you should get not counting in the actual tally. I thought the Crows got well and truly stictched up tonight by both the Saints and the umpires though. You know its bad when you watch as a neutral and notice them as much as tonight.

Maybe it was payback at AAMI for the Saints. I seem to remember a game there a couple years back where they got absolutely torched by the scumps against Port. Might have even been a final from memory.

Why the hell are Collingwood fans getting all high-and-mighty, it's merely a coincidence that bad umpiring has occured in both of Adelaides games. They didn't construct the way the umpires umpired the first round and surely as hell didn't do it tonight. This is not an eye for an eye, this is umpires being too hasty to the whistle.

adelaide were poor tonight and St Kilda really pressured them out of it.

having said that St Kilda probably had the best of it. but strangely the most baffling ones i saw tonight led directly to an Adelaide goal. in the 2nd qtr the 50M for backing into the man on the mark and then a push in the back decision that was hardly more like a light touch on the bum.

holding the ball is now a lottery. the umpire seems to consult some sort of spirit guide and then makes a ruling based on some sort of astrological reading. (i know that doesn't make sense but neither did most of the holding the ball decisions tonight on both sides)
Good post, the highlighted blew me away aswell.
The Umpires once again did everything in their powers to stuff up a good game, the game is going downhill because of the terrible umpiring we saw tonight.
Imagine trying to explain the game to a noob??? after watching tonights rulings?
Having said that , well done Saints , as bad as the umpiring was the Saints would have won anyway.:thumbsu:

Typical start to the season for umpires. Go hard on certain rules, make a lot off bullsh1t decisions until about round 3 or 4 then they will start to get more lenient again. Terrible umpiring against the Crows tonight, terrible umpiring all round.

Any game that has McBurney officiating is bound to be a shitfight. That bald-headed pencil neck is bloody hopeless, and the worst is his 'interpretation' of Holding the Ball, which was woeful in the Hawthorn/Geelong game last week. Prior opportunity seems to be a bygone relic for some misbegotten reason.

The bloke should be umpiring in the Hampden League.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back