Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are Collingwood fans getting on their high horse? It's not the crows fault that they beat you lot on your turf because of incompetent umpiring. I haven't heard one Crows supporter stick it to a St Kilda fan all night. Bunch of ferals you lot are. :thumbsdown:

I've said this a number of times. McBurney and McLaren are cheats plain and simple.

The umpiring in this game was disgusting but see how it feels when you cop that and more against you in a freaking Grand Final against Geelong (who is hard enough to beat as it is).

I have also said this half a dozen times or more. There are four teams (FOUR!!!!!!!!!) that cop it royally on most occasions.

Hawthorn
Adelaide
St Kilda
Collingwood

I have watched and analysed this for a number of years and almost every week one of these sides gets brutalised by the short people. Tonight St Kilda got an absolute ride, but you can bet that next week they will be gaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

And to the Crows I feel sorry for you. This is madness. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

We get a terrible terrible terrible run from the umpires and st kilda do not.

I thought the game was over umpired tonight. I thought at times there were a few frees that the umps got wrong and maybe more of those went against the crows than the saints but I don't think the umpiring tonight affected the result. Complaining about umpiring decisions is pointless as it is not going to change the decisions. A couple of points I always like to keep in mind in regards to the umpiring are:

1) The number of frees given does not have to be even for both teams.
2) No matter what supporters think, the umpires do their utmost to be fair.
3) You are kidding yourself if you believe that you can blame a single umpiring decision for a result in a game.
4) If you are good enough, you will win anyway. All teams receive good and bad runs with the umps. Take the good with the bad and win anyway.

Why are Collingwood fans getting on their high horse? It's not the crows fault that they beat you lot on your turf because of incompetent umpiring. I haven't heard one Crows supporter stick it to a St Kilda fan all night. Bunch of ferals you lot are. :thumbsdown:

have a ****ing cry

Does anyone know if broadcaster partners are expected to refrain from criticizing umpires?

In the last quarter Lethal and Buckley seemed to be mincing words. And for most of the game the tone was "oh those goofy umpires" with a few giggles thrown in for good measure.

In the past I've heard Huddo and Quarters pull up those doing special comments. I recall on particular time, where SOS (possibly the only time he said anything worthwhile) went spare and Huddo told him to cool down.

They must be. Buckley would be biting his tongue something chronic. I reckon I heard him half laugh under his breath at one stage when a hands in the back decision was made. Buckley is a real football bloke... if he was able to say what he really thought, they wouldn't let him anywhere near a broadcast. Sam Newman was given the arse from MMM for bagging the game... he was dead right, yet to give an honest and correct opinion, it ended up costing him his job.

These commentators are the key guys who can change the game for the better, yet they are gagged. The current AFL regime is almost communist.

I thought the game was over umpired tonight. I thought at times there were a few frees that the umps got wrong and maybe more of those went against the crows than the saints but I don't think the umpiring tonight affected the result. Complaining about umpiring decisions is pointless as it is not going to change the decisions. A couple of points I always like to keep in mind in regards to the umpiring are:

3) You are kidding yourself if you believe that you can blame a single umpiring decision for a result in a game.
4) If you are good enough, you will win anyway. All teams receive good and bad runs with the umps. Take the good with the bad and win anyway.

I think most people agree that this wouldn't have changed the result of the game. The umpires certainly tried their best to ruin the spectacle of the game tonight.

Although I agree 100% with what you're saying I think peoples criticisms are validated. Umpires can interpret a free on a technicality in almost every piece of play but they should just call the obvious ones where a player has been impeded. Often, these days when they blow their whistle, players and fans are scratching their heads until the umpire explains the free.

crows fans, stop complaining about the umps. Ur shit, face it

I was just waiting for some Port fan to say something like this. Typical :p Hope you lose to WCE ;D

Anyway, I went to the game tonight. I was very disappointed in the Crows. Even without all the free kicks to St. Kilda, I think the Saints still would have won. As others have pointed out, they really shut us down - we could get the ball inside 50, sure, but the Saints defence was very good. Plus, our midfield was quite shocking. Too many "hospital balls", handballs and stupid errors (my mum compared our game to Richmond's against Carlton last week... Harsh, but maybe true in some accounts). Half the time the crowd was yelling, "KICK THE BALL!" lol...

But the umpiring? I am sorry, but 30-11 is blasphemous. It seems like a ball-up just doesn't cut it anymore and the umpires are resorting to giving out free-kicks just 'cause they felt like it. I admit, those 50's we got were a bit "wtf". But again, like others have said, Petrenko got holding the ball when he didn't even have a chance in hell of getting rid of it, and stuff like that. Ridiculous. I don't actually know the umpires very well so I didn't know who was who, but this McBurney person? Sounds like he needs to go back and read the rules. The crowd was really riled up, and I don't blame them. It makes the game far less enjoyable when the umpires appear to be extremely biased.

I jokingly said, "maybe the umpires are Collingwood fans :p". To be honest I don't think Collingwood had much to complain about last week. I think the better team DID win. Just like the better team won here, regardless of the umpiring.

I said that on the Crows board - it's normally the worst in Ruck contests, where neither of them has a clue whose free it is half the time, but the amount of time it happened in general play tonight was mind-numbing.

There was one late in the game where Otten thought he had a free, the Saints guy thought Otten had a free - and the look on both of their faces when the Umpire told the Saints guy it was his free was classic.

Yes.

The two biggest blokes on the field going toe-to-toe in a heated contest, and the umpire pulls out a free because a hand brushes the others shoulder... infuriating!!! The decisions are so trivial that most of the time both ruckmen have no idea that they have infringed, or that they have been infringed upon. Makes a mockery of the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you morons put your club parochialism aside... the game is being ruined by the umpiring fraternity. A much bigger problem than your tit for tat rubbish. No wonder the AFL thumb their nose at your criticism... it's driven by self interest.

I think there were a few decisions that were baffling tonight, It did not lose us the game we were beaten by a better side, they had better disposal, their foward line beat our defence, their pressure caused us to handball so much that even when we weren't under pressure we handballed and went sideways.

Bad umpiring and bad calls are a part of football these days its easy to scapegoat them and blame them for the loss but they no way contribute you have to work around their bad decisions tought but thats the AFL these days.

As i said there were bad decisions tonight the holding the ball ones were fustrating, The worst one was the Kurt tippet hands in the back rule oin the 2nd quarter? I dont think the defender touched him at all if he did it was a fingernail that did worst decision of the night imo.

What bothers me is that when the game suddenly gets close and during times where the quarter is almost over, the umpires put the whistle away. Why don't they just umpire consitently throughout the whole game.

And generally speaking, the umpiring is always good on grand final day because they don't pay the tiggy touchwood free kicks. Why can't they do this during the season?

The AFL umpires should go watch the SANFL. Thats real football with real rules.

Poor Douglas ran lengths of the ground to get to a lose ball, of course he was going to jump onto it, how else was he going to get it without the Saints player behind him getting it, but noooo, pinged for holding the ball.

The worst thing out of all of this is that the players from both teams don't often know who has won a free. Now thats just ridiculous.

Even since he [Giesch] became a part of the umpiring department, its gone downhill very very fast imo.

I agree - it's got me mystified why the AFL headhunt the worst former coaches they can find to head up their umpiring dept.

Tonight's game was pathetically over-umpired. What's the record for 50m penalties in a game because tonight couldn't have been far off.

And to make it worse a lot of the over-umpiring was distinctly one-sided - I hope the umps at least had the decency to buy Adelaide dinner before they r*ped them.

The umpires did a good job tonight. Of totally ruining the game as a spectacle. Saints too good. Adelaide very ordinary. Umpires simply atrocious.

Why is it that the d!ckheads that whinge the loudest always get heard and the people that don't make a fuss always get overlooked?

Collingwood whinge like little girls last week = umpires think they gave the crows an easy ride = umpires hard on crows tonight.

Maybe we (officials at the club) should just whinge more. It will be interesting to see the pies free kick count this week!

Is that some delicious whinging I hear?

Nom, nom, nom

Of course not. But Collingwood screamed bloody murder last week at the "lopsided" 14-18 free kick count. By all reports, tonight was atrocious in general, umpires pulling frees and 50's from literally nowhere.

See this is where you are wrong pj just like the rest of you morons.

The lopsided count they cried about was for all the games this year so far the lopsided count has been 66 FF and 115 FA. That is what we call lopsided.

So get it right.

Hope you weren't bagging pies supporters last week for the umps.

Poor Douglas ran lengths of the ground to get to a lose ball, of course he was going to jump onto it, how else was he going to get it without the Saints player behind him getting it, but noooo, pinged for holding the ball.

This has been an interpretation of HTB for as long as ive been alive. If you decide to jump on the ball, its up to you to get it out. If not then youre pinged. Been that way for decades.

Must admit I've been a little stunned at the arm-chair ride we've received the first two weeks of this season.

Unfortunately we still seem to get most charities in the back half and the opposition get their gifts in their forward half . . . but I'm sure most supporters see the game that way.

Overall though I'd say the officiating is following the trend set in recent years - more rules, less consistency & egos running rampant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back