Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

I love it how Adelaide r complaining about the umpires.

How about the gift goal they got when Dawson didnt even touch Tippet in the back and then go down the other ground and Schenider got oushed in the back when he was kicking at goal and it didnt get called.

Suck it up princesses, cant rag on Collingwood fans blaming the umps one week and then the next do the same thing.

How about the gift goal they got when Dawson didnt even touch Tippet in the back and then go down the other ground and Schenider got oushed in the back when he was kicking at goal and it didnt get called.

Suck it up princesses, cant rag on Collingwood fans blaming the umps one week and then the next do the same thing.

Well done for not reading most of the posts in this thread. As I said, St Kilda were far too good, the umpiring didn't affect the result, but I'm finding it hard to watch the game now. Very disillusioned.

Well done for not reading most of the posts in this thread. As I said, St Kilda were far too good, the umpiring didn't affect the result, but I'm finding it hard to watch the game now. Very disillusioned.
ok most Adelaide fans, not yourself.
Saints were excellent. Kosi looks a different player, Luke Ball is fit, Gardiner is moving freely. All good signs for Saints fans.

This has been an interpretation of HTB for as long as ive been alive. If you decide to jump on the ball, its up to you to get it out. If not then youre pinged. Been that way for decades.

Well last night numerous times players dived onto the ball and nothing was called,then 2 seconds later the same thing would be HTB. Last nights umpiring was inconsistent but did not cost the Crows the match,the Saints looked better for most the night.
The problem with last nights match was that there were a good dozen free kicks for both sides that nobody,not even the players knew who or where they were going. This does happen in everygame but last night it occurred alot more than before. However good game to Saints,goodluck next week.

Princesses? Please :rolleyes:

When the replay was shown on the screen I can guarantee you the majority of the crowd thought there wasn't much in it!

This has been an interpretation of HTB for as long as ive been alive. If you decide to jump on the ball, its up to you to get it out. If not then youre pinged. Been that way for decades.

At least they give you some leeway in the SANFL. I know its a different league, but they're spot on when it comes to the HTB decision.

You might as well not go for the ball any more, its ridiculous.

Last night's game was incredibly painful to watch.

Free kicks were frequently turned into 50s for the most trivial of reasons and the inconsistency over the HTB decisions was appalling. At one point a player was given a 50m after marking the ball from about 10m and getting tackled right away. At another moment in the game that mark probabkly wouldn't have been paid and it would have been a free kick the other way for HTB. It was just impossible to know what the umpire would do.

What was most disturbing was that the umps were basically punishing players left right and centre for contesting the ball. When two players contested a mark, the player in front was in a better position because he'd likely get a free kick for a "in the back". It's almost as if the best strategy in that game was setting yourself up for soft free kicks at every opportunity.

BUT, In the end St Kilda would have won either way as they were too effective at suffocating Adelaide's play, but the umpires were more like a third team on the field - an unpredictable force to be reckoned with.

I am just about at breaking point with the umpiring. The game I have grown with and loved for nearly 30 years is being turned into a circus by over-officious school teachers. It makes me sick to my guts!!!

Why can they simply not revert to basics?? Simply pay a free kick if a player is significantly impeded from the contest. Give away all the showboating bull$hit they carry on with, and the ridiculous hands in the back rule... which (surprise surprise) was a knee-jerk reaction to James Clement.

Umpiring really is not that difficult... go back to basics and pay a free if it's absolutely obvious, otherwise just let the game flow.

You are always on the money mate. The hands in the back rule is fine IMO. Going back to basics I agree with. A free kick is a free kick, regardless of where it is. Stop the showboating and overtalking on the mics and just let the game go.
40+ free kicks in a game of Professional AFL football is a lot of free kicks to give away. If I were a coach of a team that gave away so many frees, I'd seriously be asking the umpires to come in and watch the DVD with the players to help them.
Just go back to basics, do the job and stay out of the game and let the players do what they have to do.

I love it that you've missed the point of most of the posts in this thread. No sensible Adelaide fan is going to say that the umpires cost us the game. Saints were far too good and Adelaide very poor in a number of ways. Doesn't change the fact the umpiring was atrocious, it's something fans of all teams should be concerned about.

I can barely stand to watch a game involving my own team, let alone one not involving them. The umpiring is pathetic, pedantic schoolteacher mentality stuff. Has only gone downhill since Gieschen took over. Sam Newman is spot on re the maggots, just pay the obvious ones, turn your mics off and stop thinking the game is about you.

The 50m penalty Bryce Gibbs received when MacDonald (?) from Brisbane encroached on the mark by no more than a foot and laid a hand on Gibbs' back, is a prime example of the game being ruined by idiots who don't understand the game. An incident that had absolutely no effect on the game in any way, shape or form, and he pays for it with 50m. Ridiculous. Zero feel for the game.

I can barely stand to watch a game involving my own team, let alone one not involving them. The umpiring is pathetic, pedantic schoolteacher mentality stuff. Has only gone downhill since Gieschen took over. Sam Newman is spot on re the maggots, just pay the obvious ones, turn your mics off and stop thinking the game is about you.

:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 50m penalty Bryce Gibbs received when MacDonald (?) from Brisbane encroached on the mark by no more than a foot and laid a hand on Gibbs' back, is a prime example of the game being ruined by idiots who don't understand the game. An incident that had absolutely no effect on the game in any way, shape or form, and he pays for it with 50m. Ridiculous. Zero feel for the game.

Essendon and Carlton have always been the umpires love children since the game began.

I have been an avid Hawk, and AFL follower for more than 60 years, and have had my complaints about umpires. However, this is the first time I have turned a game off because of the dreadful decisions, and 50 metre penalties given. And no, it wasn't our game against Sydney, which I watched until the sad end. I just can't understand why some umpires continue talking to players, which entice players to chat back. The 50 against Brad Johnston was laughable, as were many others over the weekend. The game is now over-umpired!
Where are the umpires taking our game. Having said that, I must admit the rules committee aren't making their job any easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back