Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd wonder what the players think, holding the ball and prior opportunity is a mystery. All you can say is they were quick on the whistle at the start and then just appeared to go with being consistent even if it was consistently bad.

They should scrap half the rules and go back to how it was, get rid of chopping the arms, hand in the back (give defenders a chance) and bring back actual prior opportunity.

30-11. Obviously the Umps thought they were the 19th man. Having said that the umps didn't make us play shithouse.

Yeah, pretty average umpiring..agreed. However Saints could have or should have won by more with their missed shots at goal.

Congrats Sainters!

ps: didn't hear about Hentschel's knee till just then and as much as I dislike the Crows I hope it doesn't put him out for too long.

I agree with this and felt in all honesty our poor foot skills at times kept Crows in it longer.

That said - umpiring is a joke. The only solace Crow fans is it will be our turn to cop it on the neck next week or the week after....all sides get it.

BTW I also thought some Crow goal frees were suspect as well and yep..holding the ball....well who really knows.....players just dive on you, restrict you in releasing and you arfe gone....prior opp is dead.

Green maggots have gotten worse over the years IMHO.....the quality of umpiring just isnt there and the discrepancy in interpretation is enormous. A very dangerous, off putting aspect to our game.

Happy with that win interstate though - to run away in the last like that when we looked out at 3 qtr time shows something.

23 to 9 the free kicks are. thats just terrible

WTF has the count got to do with anything??

The game is being ruined by umpires being instructed to pay free kicks for trivial indescretions, such as hands in the back. The AFL have got to take the mic's off them... their constant irritating voices are really alienating to football people, having their explanations shoved down your throat on every decision.

I get that the AFL are trying to grow the game, hence the ump mic's in order to explain the game to people who don't really understand it, but in the long run it will drive traditional football people away from the game, and the game will suffer for it.

You'd wonder what the players think, holding the ball and prior opportunity is a mystery. All you can say is they were quick on the whistle at the start and then just appeared to go with being consistent even if it was consistently bad.

They should scrap half the rules and go back to how it was, get rid of chopping the arms, hand in the back (give defenders a chance) and bring back actual prior opportunity.

30-11. Obviously the Umps thought they were the 19th man. Having said that the umps didn't make us play shithouse.

I totally agree with your post.
I'm tipping most supporters feel the same way, but will the AFL listen?
Should we hold our breath?

I honestly think that's the worst Umpiring I've seen in years.

The worst thing is, it sounds like sour grapes when you blow up about it - but St Kilda did their homework extremely well and completely shut us down, we had no run from the backline and nothing through the middle, and yet somehow they still have enough players back to get in the way of our forwards.

They had a great plan for us, an executed it extremely well.

But that umpiring performance was disgusting. Triggy should be signing a blank cheque right now and instructing Craigy to unload on the Umpires.

If that's how they're going to umpire our games, we may as well not show up, and when we do, just ignore the so called rules and do whatever the **** we want. Because as it currently stands, we obviously have absolutely no idea what the rules of AFL are.

Why is it that the d!ckheads that whinge the loudest always get heard and the people that don't make a fuss always get overlooked?

Collingwood whinge like little girls last week = umpires think they gave the crows an easy ride = umpires hard on crows tonight.

Maybe we (officials at the club) should just whinge more. It will be interesting to see the pies free kick count this week!

The umpiring didn't cost us the game at all, our inability to cope with the Saints clogging up the space and pressuring the ball carrier was what cost us.

The officiating was the worst I've seen and was woeful for both sides but it certainly didn't affect who won or lost. The better team won. McBurney genuinely had me 'Lol'ing in the end because it was like he was looking for the most obscure interpretations to pay.

The free kick count was probably more a reflection of the pressure and their ability to get numbers to the ball first. The most infuriating part was the lack of consistency more than anything. One minute a kick has to go 25m to be paid, the next minute blokes are kicking it 5 metres and it's a mark.

Oh and apparently glancing at your opponent with a mean look now constitutes a 50 metre penalty (which at times will be closer to 75 metres and other times closer to 30).

Seriously, I might be missing something but the game isn't that hard to officiate. If the thing most umpires are struggling with is interpretation then simplify the rules and bring this great game back to what it once was. No paying of the 'in the back' (second worst rule in the game), chopping of the arms, or my personal favourite, penalising a bloke for having .075 of a second to release the ball after diving into a pack in an attempt to make the play (even though if the ruckman taps it down his throat he's allowed to run with 4 blokes hanging off him for 5 seconds before a ballup is called).

Anyway well done Saints.

I agree with this and felt in all honesty our poor foot skills at times kept Crows in it longer.

That said - umpiring is a joke. The only solace Crow fans is it will be our turn to cop it on the neck next week or the week after....all sides get it.

BTW I also thought some Crow goal frees were suspect as well and yep..holding the ball....well who really knows.....players just dive on you, restrict you in releasing and you arfe gone....prior opp is dead.

Green maggots have gotten worse over the years IMHO.....the quality of umpiring just isnt there and the discrepancy in interpretation is enormous. A very dangerous, off putting aspect to our game.

Happy with that win interstate though - to run away in the last like that when we looked out at 3 qtr time shows something.

I am just about at breaking point with the umpiring. The game I have grown with and loved for nearly 30 years is being turned into a circus by over-officious school teachers. It makes me sick to my guts!!!

Why can they simply not revert to basics?? Simply pay a free kick if a player is significantly impeded from the contest. Give away all the showboating bull$hit they carry on with, and the ridiculous hands in the back rule... which (surprise surprise) was a knee-jerk reaction to James Clement.

Umpiring really is not that difficult... go back to basics and pay a free if it's absolutely obvious, otherwise just let the game flow.

Why is it that the d!ckheads that whinge the loudest always get heard and the people that don't make a fuss always get overlooked?

Collingwood whinge like little girls last week = umpires think they gave the crows an easy ride = umpires hard on crows tonight.

Maybe we (officials at the club) should just whinge more. It will be interesting to see the pies free kick count this week!

Hmmm what about the whingeing going on here?

Over-umpired.

Beat me to it !!

Watching the delayed replay here in Sydney and the first quarter was just riddled with the umpires blowing their whistles & barking instructions. And some of the 50m penalties were quite overzealous.

If this is the way footy is going, the game is going to die off in the not too distant future.

Over-umpired, over-coached & over-done !!!

Yeah St Kilda completely outplayed us tonight. Shut us down in all areas. Way too much pressure on our midfield.

In saying that the holding the ball decison has got me pulling my hair out. On two ocasions Petrenko and Edwards got the ball and straight away they were tackled without prior opportunity and it was holding the ball.

Umpires are shit and not just for our game tonight. They made some horrible decisions against Collingwood last round. And in the Hawks Geelong game.

I only caught the first half and the umpiriing was fairly average.

Would be interesting to see what the breakdown was for frees given in the forward 50 and the number or resulting goals...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just about at breaking point with the umpiring. The game I have grown with and loved for nearly 30 years is being turned into a circus by over-officious school teachers. It makes me sick to my guts!!!

Why can they simply not revert to basics?? Simply pay a free kick if a player is significantly impeded from the contest. Give away all the showboating bull$hit they carry on with, and the ridiculous hands in the back rule... which (surprise surprise) was a knee-jerk reaction to James Clement.

Umpiring really is not that difficult... go back to basics and pay a free if it's absolutely obvious, otherwise just let the game flow.
Couldnt agree more. I've been annoying the crap out of my fellow footy followers with this basic notion in recent times.
So what if a hand touches a shoulder etc etc. The rules are there to protect players that are impeded from the contest or getting to the next one.
As has been mentioned it is pretty simple.

Problem is because so many of them are 'technically' correct they get away with it.

Mcburney did my head in last week, and again tonight as a neutral.

That's what I said, maybe we should whinge more!
I wouldn't joke about it... something seriously needs to be done or the game is rooted. The real football people of this world MUST make a stand against the current regime and where this aspect of the game has gone... or people will walk away in their droves.

Couldnt agree more. I've been annoying the crap out of my fellow footy followers with this basic notion in recent times.
So what if a hand touches a shoulder etc etc. The rules are there to protect players that are impeded from the contest or getting to the next one.

Problem is because so many of them are 'technically' correct they get away with it.

Absolutely!!! The technicality behind the rule should be there as a guide, the most important aspect should be whether or not the player was impeded...

So simple yet so true.

The umpiring at the swans and saints game last week was terrible also, the umpires were almost as bad as we were. I was there with a girl who was new to afl and trying to explain the rules became farcicle.

Does anyone know if broadcaster partners are expected to refrain from criticizing umpires?

In the last quarter Lethal and Buckley seemed to be mincing words. And for most of the game the tone was "oh those goofy umpires" with a few giggles thrown in for good measure.

In the past I've heard Huddo and Quarters pull up those doing special comments. I recall on particular time, where SOS (possibly the only time he said anything worthwhile) went spare and Huddo told him to cool down.

I've said this a number of times. McBurney and McLaren are cheats plain and simple.

The umpiring in this game was disgusting but see how it feels when you cop that and more against you in a freaking Grand Final against Geelong (who is hard enough to beat as it is).

I have also said this half a dozen times or more. There are four teams (FOUR!!!!!!!!!) that cop it royally on most occasions.

Hawthorn
Adelaide
St Kilda
Collingwood

I have watched and analysed this for a number of years and almost every week one of these sides gets brutalised by the short people. Tonight St Kilda got an absolute ride, but you can bet that next week they will be gaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

And to the Crows I feel sorry for you. This is madness. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Does anyone know if broadcaster partners are expected to refrain from criticizing umpires?

In the last quarter Lethal and Buckley seemed to be mincing words. And for most of the game the tone was "oh those goofy umpires" with a few giggles thrown in for good measure.

In the past I've heard Huddo and Quarters pull up those doing special comments. I recall on particular time, where SOS (possibly the only time he said anything worthwhile) went spare and Huddo told him to cool down.

I'd be almost certain that they have something in their broadcast agreement which relates to commentators criticising the Umpires.

They're probably allowed to comment on decisions (obviously), but there is no way the AFL would let them bag the crap out of their Umps.

PF - Sadly, this is not SPARTA! :(

Yep... it's really not that hard when you simplify it.

McBurney is arguably my most despised person (behind Jeff Geischen and Kevin Bartlett) in football at the moment. His nagging, finger-nail-scraping-like voice makes me want to shoot myself. He seems to be the one constantly pulling out decisions that are 'technically correct', from incidents that have zero bearing on the contest. When all players from both teams turn to the umpire when the whistle blows, shrugging their shoulders as if to ask "who's kick is it?", you know it's a bad decision. It's amazing how often this happens.

McBurney and McLaren are very frustrating umps. very over the top and heavy handed with everything. i turn off games that either are umpiring. watched tonight but my main focus was on my guitar so it wasnt that bad, but there were a lot of decisions both ways that just weren't necessary.

i have people arriving from the UK next week very keen on the game...im tempted to go to a vfl match instead...or just find a game that Wenn is officiating and the Mc's aren't

If anyone wants a great quarter of umpiring, go to last weeks last quarter of the Hawks/Cats game and find the point that Wenn took over as primary ump in the middle. beautiful flow of football.

Yep... it's really not that hard when you simplify it.

McBurney is arguably my most despised person (behind Jeff Geischen and Kevin Bartlett) in football at the moment. His nagging, finger-nail-scraping-like voice makes me want to shoot myself. He seems to be the one constantly pulling out decisions that are 'technically correct', from incidents that have zero bearing on the contest. When all players from both teams turn to the umpire when the whistle blows, shrugging their shoulders as if to ask "who's kick is it?", you know it's a bad decision. It's amazing how often this happens.

I said that on the Crows board - it's normally the worst in Ruck contests, where neither of them has a clue whose free it is half the time, but the amount of time it happened in general play tonight was mind-numbing.

There was one late in the game where Otten thought he had a free, the Saints guy thought Otten had a free - and the look on both of their faces when the Umpire told the Saints guy it was his free was classic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back