Remove this Banner Ad

big #32

Rookie
Mar 19, 2007
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Just over a month until rd 1.
Its said most years, but i think 2008 will be a cracking year for 19 Premier.
Would love to hear some thoughts.

De La - Back to Back premiers. No doubt the ones to beat. Have an awesome under19s group. Can they do 3?

Xavs - I think had a younger group than usual last year. Always field a strong side with a million players to pick from. Interesting to hear about how there shaping up.

Bernards - Should be strong again. Seniors gone to B grade. Close under 19 group (similier to dela) You would think they would be hungry to go that one better this year.

Scotch - I dont know why but scotch have under achieved last couple of years. No point thinking about the past - Can they surprise this year?

Uni Blues - Have a new team every year. Seem to improve later in the season. Can they get it together and be a serious danger in the finals?

SKOBS - were lucky to stay in Premier. havnt really been a danger last couple of years. New players might change this.

Marcillon - Came home strong last year. Will many of there 19s play seniors? have they picked up any new players and how are there younger group? really dont know much about them.

St. Bedes Mentone - Should have played premier last year. Word is they are still strong. Step to premier will be bigger than they think (as shown by the 2 teams last yr). Early prediction but i think they will play finals.

Uni Blacks - Just didnt have the depth that is needed in premier last year (couple of very strong players, then fell apart). Only positives coming from their seniors. Maybe it has attracted some talent to the 19s.

Rupo - Were unlucky last year i think. There seniors is made up of under 19 players. and will prob be the same this year. Can be very dangerous though when they get running.

Just my thoughts. Certainly will be closer than last 3 years.

Great to see there is finally a thread all about the only important U19 division. I was under the impression that uni blacks got relegated after last yr? does anyone know why they didn't? I personally think this season will be a very close one, but won't be contested by the usual suspects.
De La will be very hard to beat as they retain some very quality top age players and a solid batch of new bottom age, mixed in with the fact there best school players can still play for them. I think Xavier will loose a number of key players through age and higher committments and going on there school team last yr which was dominated by yr 11's I don't they will be as strong as other yrs. With bernards moving to B grade in the senior team I think they will loose a number of quality U19 players to seniors. Uni blues have being stong the last few yrs and you never know what you'll get. Going on last yr's results and there school team i think scotch may also struggle this season. Rupo I think were lucky last yr, there team wasn't the most skillful but they played reali well together and got away with a few lucky wins. Marcellin looked a much stronger team last yr when it had leading goal kicker delahunty in the team and I think he will be lucky to play a game in U19's this yr as I believe the seniors hav big plans for him even if he's not already too old. I think Skob will go better this yr as the majority of there team last yr was bottom age and they hav a good crop of new school players coming through, may struggle for depth if they loose players to seniors though. From all reports of last yr the bogans had a great team but were mostly top age, it will be interesting to see how they've recruited and how they cope with the step up to the big boys. lets hope they can talk the talk after all of there posting on this thread last yr.

Just over a month until rd 1.
Its said most years, but i think 2008 will be a cracking year for 19 Premier.
Would love to hear some thoughts.

De La - Back to Back premiers. No doubt the ones to beat. Have an awesome under19s group. Can they do 3?

Xavs - I think had a younger group than usual last year. Always field a strong side with a million players to pick from. Interesting to hear about how there shaping up.

Bernards - Should be strong again. Seniors gone to B grade. Close under 19 group (similier to dela) You would think they would be hungry to go that one better this year.

Scotch - I dont know why but scotch have under achieved last couple of years. No point thinking about the past - Can they surprise this year?

Uni Blues - Have a new team every year. Seem to improve later in the season. Can they get it together and be a serious danger in the finals?

SKOBS - were lucky to stay in Premier. havnt really been a danger last couple of years. New players might change this.

Marcillon - Came home strong last year. Will many of there 19s play seniors? have they picked up any new players and how are there younger group? really dont know much about them.

St. Bedes Mentone - Should have played premier last year. Word is they are still strong. Step to premier will be bigger than they think (as shown by the 2 teams last yr). Early prediction but i think they will play finals.

Uni Blacks - Just didnt have the depth that is needed in premier last year (couple of very strong players, then fell apart). Only positives coming from their seniors. Maybe it has attracted some talent to the 19s.

Rupo - Were unlucky last year i think. There seniors is made up of under 19 players. and will prob be the same this year. Can be very dangerous though when they get running.

Just my thoughts. Certainly will be closer than last 3 years.

Rupo also fields 3 x U/16 teams locally. Last season returned a premiership in the premier division and a prelimnary final for one of the remaining teams. Many of these lads are heading to the U/19 ranks. Should be interesting.

Great to see there is finally a thread all about the only important U19 division.....

That's right, I forgot the rest of the young blokes who run around in the other Under 19s divisions were completely hopeless and a blight on junior football in the VAFA.

Way to buck that stuck-up, private school stereotype Uncle :thumbsu:

Rupo also fields 3 x U/16 teams locally. Last season returned a premiership in the premier division and a prelimnary final for one of the remaining teams. Many of these lads are heading to the U/19 ranks. Should be interesting.
Wouldn't expect many of the kids coming up from U16s to have a huge impact. You will see the difference when a 17 year old from rupo lines up on a 20 yr old from Dela, Xavs, Bernards or St. Bedes.

That's right, I forgot the rest of the young blokes who run around in the other Under 19s divisions were completely hopeless and a blight on junior football in the VAFA.

Way to buck that stuck-up, private school stereotype Uncle :thumbsu:

I fail to see why you’re posting on this thread if you’re not affiliated with a side in the premier division, and if you are then why you’re not in agreement. My opinion is not of a typical stuck up private school boy, but simply of someone who appreciates the standard of football in premier division year in year out. Over the years other divisions have proven to be very lob sided and unpredictable, i.e. with St Bede’s last year. Although there is an abundant amount of talent throughout all U19 divisions, in terms of divisions as a whole the premier division is clearly superior. It is only natural to want to have a defined thread on the one division as I’m sure over time threads will be created for the other U19 divisions. The fact that private schools make up the majority of teams in the premier division has nothing to do with being stuck up but is simply built on numbers and reputation, if you look at any club affiliated with a private school you will notice the number of recruits from different schools and usually public schools.

I fail to see why you’re posting on this thread if you’re not affiliated with a side in the premier division, and if you are then why you’re not in agreement. My opinion is not of a typical stuck up private school boy, but simply of someone who appreciates the standard of football in premier division year in year out. Over the years other divisions have proven to be very lob sided and unpredictable, i.e. with St Bede’s last year. Although there is an abundant amount of talent throughout all U19 divisions, in terms of divisions as a whole the premier division is clearly superior. It is only natural to want to have a defined thread on the one division as I’m sure over time threads will be created for the other U19 divisions. The fact that private schools make up the majority of teams in the premier division has nothing to do with being stuck up but is simply built on numbers and reputation, if you look at any club affiliated with a private school you will notice the number of recruits from different schools and usually public schools.

Making sure we read the fine print? :D

All U19 divisions are important - and I trust saying this is the 'only important U19 division' is merely a throwaway line. Frankly, without the U19 competition fielding so many sides (up to 48 now) our senior competition would be dropping back in standard rapidly.

NB - 4 x A grade (OT, Coll, OI and OB), 6 x B grade (Caulfield, OE, OH, OCarey, OCamb, Beauy) and 9 x C grade clubs field U19 sides outside premier division.

oh shit!!! st bedes back in the game there 1st team being much younger but looks like they have just as much talent as last years..

i believe they can go all the way!

Have strong doubts about st. bedes. anyone care to disagree? would love to hear their top 10 and why they are so good. Cant really argue depth bc the top sides in premier have that aswell.

Have strong doubts about st. bedes. anyone care to disagree? would love to hear their top 10 and why they are so good. Cant really argue depth bc the top sides in premier have that aswell.
cos they managed to pump a bunch of rubbish sides last year in b grade

So its finally footy season again which means we better start our usual banter.

The way i see the ladder to be at the end of round 18

Xavs
StBedes
Bernards
Dela
Blues
Marcelin
Scotch
Rupo
Skevs
Blacks

I think that this year the gap between the top 4 and the rest wont be as great as previous years which means the season will be wide open.

The teams to beat will be those teams that i have placed in the top 4.

The teams that have something to prove this year are StBedes who were supposedly the greatest B grade team ever last year and were supposedly better then those in A grade according to some sources. Marcelin who finished off strong last year and also Scotch who have been struggling the last couple of years and should be better then they have been.

Will deffinately be interesting to see how StBM go this year as most of the guys from last years all conquering U/19's are too old now. That being said they have picked up plenty of good young kids and should do OK.

Xavs
StBedes
Bernards
Dela
Blues
Marcelin
Scotch
Rupo
Skevs
Blacks

I think that this year the gap between the top 4 and the rest wont be as great as previous years which means the season will be wide open.

The teams that have something to prove this year are StBedes who were supposedly the greatest B grade team ever last year and were supposedly better then those in A grade according to some sources. Marcelin who finished off strong last year and also Scotch who have been struggling the last couple of years and should be better then they have been.

Any reason why youve bumped dela from 1st (where they have been for 2 years) to 4th?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any reason why youve bumped dela from 1st (where they have been for 2 years) to 4th?

For the exact reason that they have been premiers for the last 2 years. It is very hard to stay on top for three years in a row as premiership players are bound to disappear from the team as the become to old to qualify for 19's.

Xavs
StBedes
Bernards
Dela
Blues
Marcelin
Scotch
Rupo
Skevs
Blacks

De La finishing 4th???? big call!!! my sources tell me they have kept 10 of last years grand final players including the full forward, centre half forward a ruckmen and some midfielders.. last year they had so many players it trickled down into the 2's who made the prelim in their division, most of that team is still playing ready to make a jump into the 1's. should be interesting to see their strength.. i personally don't see them finishing 4th....

De La finishing 4th???? big call!!! my sources tell me they have kept 10 of last years grand final players including the full forward, centre half forward a ruckmen and some midfielders.. last year they had so many players it trickled down into the 2's who made the prelim in their division, most of that team is still playing ready to make a jump into the 1's. should be interesting to see their strength.. i personally don't see them finishing 4th....
i dont think you can use the 2s in a prelim as a reason. but fair enough with 10 players staying down

the way I see it is

De La
St Bernards
Xavier
Uni Blues
Marcellin
St Bedes
Scotch
Rupo
St Kevins
Uni Blacks

but the competition will be a lot closer with de la not dominating so much

cos they managed to pump a bunch of rubbish sides last year in b grade

Or the fact that they had the most state representatives of any u/19 team last year, including the captain? Fair effort by a supposedly "B" grade team.

Would have won division one last year by quite a bit.

Or the fact that they had the most state representatives of any u/19 team last year, including the captain? Fair effort by a supposedly "B" grade team.

get real buddy...the top 3 in A grade last year were very good teams and in fact dela were a level above both bernards and xavs...there is no way that u can go and compare stbedes to these teams when they were competing against below average teams in B grade.

dont go by how many state reps they had, i think any one on this thread would agree they are f*cked. i doubt they would have beaten any of the top three sides from last year

Remove this Banner Ad

U19 Under 19 Premier

Remove this Banner Ad

Back