Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Or like the Crows did?

Actions speak louder than words and Freo’s record is great but yes, I have no idea what happens behind closed doors. I don’t see the need to throw shade, just in case.

I think you’ve misinterpreted my intention with that post.

My point was not to criticise Freo in particular, more that racism is embedded in our culture in lots of different ways and we all need to be holding up a mirror and looking at where we need to change our behaviour.

My point is that every club has likely got elements of racism they either need to acknowledge, or be working to eradicate, simply because of our history as a nation. Finger pointing about which club is worse simply based on there being a significant controversy does not help us move forward.

I think you’ve misinterpreted my intention with that post.

My point was not to criticise Freo in particular, more that racism is embedded in our culture in lots of different ways and we all need to be holding up a mirror and looking at where we need to change our behaviour.

My point is that every club has likely got elements of racism they either need to acknowledge, or be working to eradicate, simply because of our history as a nation. Finger pointing about which club is worse simply based on there being a significant controversy does not help us move forward.
Nor does labelling everyone the same when some clubs are significantly better on every public metric. Celebrate the success stories otherwise we have no winners, even if we can all do better.

Nor does labelling everyone the same when some clubs are significantly better on every public metric. Celebrate the success stories otherwise we have no winners, even if we can all do better.

I never said we shouldn’t.

You’re the one suggesting certain clubs shouldn’t participate in indigenous round because they have had incidents of racism, while other clubs can. You’re turning what should be an opportunity for self reflection and improvement into a point scoring contest about who the least racist is.

I never said we shouldn’t.

You’re the one suggesting certain clubs shouldn’t participate in indigenous round because they have had incidents of racism, while other clubs can. You’re turning what should be an opportunity for self reflection and improvement into a point scoring contest about who the least racist is.
I never said what you are claiming.

Or like the Crows did?

Actions speak louder than words and Freo’s record is great but yes, I have no idea what happens behind closed doors. I don’t see the need to throw shade, just in case.
Not that you wouldn't know this but the two Fremantle teams and the WAFL in general have a long and mostly proud history of indigenous players.
The reason why the racial insults were able to work so well in the VFL/early AFL was because it wasn't something they were used to coming from the WAFL.

AFLW should use a round ball (like Gaelic), the skills currently aren't good enough with the oval ball (too much variation)
Aerodynamically, a round ball is harder to make go straight (IN THE AIR) than an oval ball, it is far more prone to spin quickly and induce bias.

The oval ball is more stable, but more difficult to achieve the correct point of contact -

My suggestion would be a 4/5ths size footy - for generally smaller feet , smaller hands and less strong legs.

My suggestion would be a 4/5ths size footy - for generally smaller feet , smaller hands and less strong legs.
They already use a smaller ball.

Aerodynamically, a round ball is harder to make go straight (IN THE AIR) than an oval ball, it is far more prone to spin quickly and induce bias.

The oval ball is more stable, but more difficult to achieve the correct point of contact -

true, its not just kicking though, its also about gathering the ball, and the use of handball

When they started this 'Fight MND' stuff I guess they expected Daniher to pop his clogs after a couple of years.

Year ten & the stubborn old fella refuses to give in. Are they going to go on with this forever ? Enough of the water slide. It's turned into a weird dad joke that never ends.Dying from MND probably isn't that humourous.

I speak as someone who has never bought a beanie or given a red cent to the cause. MND' is too niche for me, I give my coin to the 'big picture' illnesses like cancer. Cancer treatment has improved heaps in ten years , I'm sure the scientists aren't sitting on their hands but MND is still a mystery that kills very few.

When they started this 'Fight MND' stuff I guess they expected Daniher to pop his clogs after a couple of years.

Year ten & the stubborn old fella refuses to give in. Are they going to go on with this forever ? Enough of the water slide. It's turned into a weird dad joke that never ends.Dying from MND probably isn't that humourous.

I speak as someone who has never bought a beanie or given a red cent to the cause. MND' is too niche for me, I give my coin to the 'big picture' illnesses like cancer. Cancer treatment has improved heaps in ten years , I'm sure the scientists aren't sitting on their hands but MND is still a mystery that kills very few.
A brave comment.

I have Renal Cell Carcanoma (Kidney Cancer) and I don’t donate a cent - personally I reckon I’ve paid my way in taxes.

My prognosis is good - but the money is coming from the big Pharma trials…not the hospitals.

Pharmas access facilities, run trials - If a drug works, the Govt invests millions - people live. Everyone wins - it’s called Social Welfare.

The charities do help, but I figure our tax dollar could be better directed.

Don’t ‘hate’ on the footy ‘lobbies’ - it all goes to the right place - but your main donation is paying tax - a lot of knuckleheads would do well to think about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think as a rule the AFL community vastly overrates players who played in the 80's and 90's. The way people often talk about how supposedly some of the greatest ever players come from that era and somehow produced not only the best forwards but also the best defenders too (so the forwards kick a lot of goals, and the defenders don't really stop them but are also still somehow great) and how with the proper training any premiership team from the late 80's or early to mid 90's could wipe the floor with premiership teams of this era.

I just don't think it is the case. Back in the 80's especially the pool of AFL players were smaller, even more of them coming from Victoria, so the more talented players looked even better because the players they were around were more crappy.

Even with the proper training, you bringing them forward in time somehow, I think the premiers of the last few years would easily beat any of the premiers from the 80's and 90's, and that that era was not as great as a lot of people seem to think it is.

You are probably correct, 4-5 years ago they showed him giving a very emotional talk to the players during the week, most players were tearing up.

The impression I got from that was maybe they thought he wasn't going to be alive for the next one.

I'm glad he is still alive and it's continued because my beanie arrived this week and it is keeping me nice and warm from this current cold weather.

I think as a rule the AFL community vastly overrates players who played in the 80's and 90's. The way people often talk about how supposedly some of the greatest ever players come from that era and somehow produced not only the best forwards but also the best defenders too (so the forwards kick a lot of goals, and the defenders don't really stop them but are also still somehow great) and how with the proper training any premiership team from the late 80's or early to mid 90's could wipe the floor with premiership teams of this era.

I just don't think it is the case. Back in the 80's especially the pool of AFL players were smaller, even more of them coming from Victoria, so the more talented players looked even better because the players they were around were more crappy.

Even with the proper training, you bringing them forward in time somehow, I think the premiers of the last few years would easily beat any of the premiers from the 80's and 90's, and that that era was not as great as a lot of people seem to think it is.

I think a few factors play into this.

TV coverage became much more widespread and the games spread out (rather than all being at the same time) so the players were more visible.

Players also became increasingly professional and in particular the best players could be fully professional while the worst still had day jobs. Some players were working out and physically improving out of sight, while others were doing 9-5 on a building site and smoking a pack of cigggies a day.

Add in the influx of non-victorian stars, with the early 90s really being the point where you had all the best players in the country in the one comp (even as late as 1985 Kernahan was playing in SA and refusing to come until Glenelg won a flag)

And at this stage coaching and tactics were incredibly basic and focused on moving players around, not positioning or structure.

Put it all together and you have star players who are stronger, faster and better than ever before, all in the one comp, beating up on 'regular' players like never before and a bunch of coaches who had no idea how to respond other than 'tell our wingman to finish his sausage roll because when quarter time finishes he is going to full back on Plugger'. And all more visible and televised than ever.

I think a few factors play into this.

TV coverage became much more widespread and the games spread out (rather than all being at the same time) so the players were more visible.

Players also became increasingly professional and in particular the best players could be fully professional while the worst still had day jobs. Some players were working out and physically improving out of sight, while others were doing 9-5 on a building site and smoking a pack of cigggies a day.

Add in the influx of non-victorian stars, with the early 90s really being the point where you had all the best players in the country in the one comp (even as late as 1985 Kernahan was playing in SA and refusing to come until Glenelg won a flag)

And at this stage coaching and tactics were incredibly basic and focused on moving players around, not positioning or structure.

Put it all together and you have star players who are stronger, faster and better than ever before, all in the one comp, beating up on 'regular' players like never before and a bunch of coaches who had no idea how to respond other than 'tell our wingman to finish his sausage roll because when quarter time finishes he is going to full back on Plugger'. And all more visible and televised than ever.

Gary McIntosh finished his career in 1998 and refused to leave Norwood and the SANFL the whole time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back