Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

While I'm at it, "Debuting as the sub" has to be the stupidest controversy since the annual (or triannual this year) "What to do about the draw??" controversy.

Players effectively debuted as the sub in terms of their TOG for decades. If that's the best role for them to play in the AFL team that week, they should take it with thanks (as I'm sure they all do). Or they can play mega minutes in the reserves if they'd prefer.

Dredging this one up from a couple of months ago, reminded me of an incident in the Collingwood v Geelong game last week, Jeremy Cameron took a strong mark on the lead on the 50m line, right on the boundary. Can't remember the Collingwood player who was defending the lead sorry, maybe Frampton? Anyway he went down and looked in a bit of discomfort, Cameron is pointing to him and waving for the trainers to get over to his opponent. The medical staff gets there, all seems okay, so Cameron starts his approach... BOOOOO!!!!!!

Sometimes you just have to chuckle at the dills who make up the match day attendance at an AFL game.
Plenty of Dills at Geelong this week, just booing for the sake of it attempting their best West Coast Eagle supporter impersonation while the team gets flogged.

Plenty of Dills at Geelong this week, just booing for the sake of it attempting their best West Coast Eagle supporter impersonation while the team gets flogged.

I know, right? After the 2009 qualifying final, I was walking around outside and some Bulldogs guy was yelling that Geelong should be kicked out of Australia. Routley's and everything... weird, man.

Yeah listen once I saw Rory Lobb playing in defence against North, I knew how this would play out.
Crucified forward switches back, plays well, and everyone will praise it. That's exactly what happened and it happens all the time.

It's not that impressive to, well, impress as a defender which every team and their supporters can name defenders who are underrated or don't get noticed. Meanwhile forwards get criticised all the time for playing the hardest position in the modern game basically being tagged by these 'underrated' defenders.

Love the fact that in the Fox Footy All-Australian consideration list, I counted 22 defenders and 17 forwards. Using that can argue it's easier to look impressive in the back half.

Getting that off my chest and honestly sick of listening to it. Wonder if others think the same.

Yeah listen once I saw Rory Lobb playing in defence against North, I knew how this would play out.
Crucified forward switches back, plays well, and everyone will praise it. That's exactly what happened and it happens all the time.

It's not that impressive to, well, impress as a defender which every team and their supporters can name defenders who are underrated or don't get noticed. Meanwhile forwards get criticised all the time for playing the hardest position in the modern game basically being tagged by these 'underrated' defenders.

Love the fact that in the Fox Footy All-Australian consideration list, I counted 22 defenders and 17 forwards. Using that can argue it's easier to look impressive in the back half.

Getting that off my chest and honestly sick of listening to it. Wonder if others think the same.

Its 100% easier to play in the back line

Whoever it is now of Daniher or Hipwood playing back apparently, can't wait for that move to be lauded as well.
This league and its fans hate forwards so much.
Daniher/Hipwood aren’t playing in the backline by choice. We have one tall defender available this week. Injuries to Andrews, Payne, Gardiner, Doedee and Joyce mean we have no choice but to send one of those guys back. Doubt it gets lauded at all.

Daniher/Hipwood aren’t playing in the backline by choice. We have one tall defender available this week. Injuries to Andrews, Payne, Gardiner, Doedee and Joyce mean we have no choice but to send one of those guys back. Doubt it gets lauded at all.
I know it's not choice, but am predicting like we've seen countless times when forwards go back that they'll say they played well as a defender taking intercept marks and spoils with countless help whereas to 'play well' forward you need to not only take the marks, beat your man but also kick the goals which is such harsh standards comparing them.

Mate, count yourself lucky. Would have been paid at the MCG.

Say the campaigner whose coached 7 of his last 8 games at the MCG.
?

Our last 5 games have been at the MCG, before that was R16 at Gold Coast.

R17 home v Essendon
R18 home v Geelong
R19 away v Hawthorn (MCG is their home ground)
R20 home v Richmond
R21 home v Carlton

Collingwood doesn't get a genuine home ground advantage most weeks like you Booers get.

Where do you suggest Collingwood plays?

?

Our last 5 games have been at the MCG, before that was R16 at Gold Coast.

R17 home v Essendon
R18 home v Geelong
R19 away v Hawthorn (MCG is their home ground)
R20 home v Richmond
R21 home v Carlton

Collingwood doesn't get a genuine home ground advantage most weeks like you Booers get.

Where do you suggest Collingwood plays?

Hah, wow, I guess you can’t trust the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL should expand the senior list to 48 players. After the primary list there should be another 6 spots on the supplementary list (aka Rookie list), which is made up of players from the home state the club is from, such that SA clubs can only take SA players to add to the Rookie list, and so on.
I would also add 5 players to the bench, without the need for a substitution.

Reason being.
1. It allows more players to get on to an AFL list, and to see if they can make it.
2. Adding another player to the game day team gives clubs an additional opportunity to get games into a younger player, and should give some ability for younger players to get that 50 games under their belt.
3. By only taking players from your state league, it prevents players from having to move interstate, change jobs etc, to only be on a list for 12 months.
4. Does away for the need for a mid season draft. The hubris the AFL has to think half way through the season their clubs should be allowed to take players from the State league when they are also playing for their own premierships and supporters.

More opportunities for more player will absolutely guarantee that there will be players who get a spot who wouldn't have normally, and they become 150-200 game players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back