Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw a post in the Saffas vs Windies thread and it made a good point.

Scrap the Windies as a test nation and have them as a limited overs team only (they're a great one day/T20 team). It opens up more space for blockbuster tours and hopefully opens the door for Ireland as a test nation.

Scrap the Windies as a test nation and have them as a limited overs team only (they're a great one day/T20 team). It opens up more space for blockbuster tours and hopefully opens the door for Ireland as a test nation.
It would be a shame to permanently lose the West Indies, hopefully one day they can get back to the same heights as the 80s/90s.

Dean Jones reckons drinks breaks should be scrapped in tests (unless it's "really hot"), coz the players get a million drinks brought out to them during play anyway

They either need to do that or stop the people running out with drinks etc. at the end of overs (I'm sure I saw Smith eating a banana during the change of overs the other day <----cue Peter Siddle jokes). The players would probably prefer to get a drink when they want it rather than at a set time so maybe it would be better to scrap the drinks breaks. Would be sad though; not quite cricket without lunch, tea and drinks :D

They either need to do that or stop the people running out with drinks etc. at the end of overs (I'm sure I saw Smith eating a banana during the change of overs the other day <----cue Peter Siddle jokes). The players would probably prefer to get a drink when they want it rather than at a set time so maybe it would be better to scrap the drinks breaks. Would be sad though; not quite cricket without lunch, tea and drinks :D
If we at community level can bowl our overs within 3.5 minutes per over and drag our drinks onto the ground and still bowl our overs within the allotted time, surely the elite players can do the same.

If we at community level can bowl our overs within 3.5 minutes per over and drag our drinks onto the ground and still bowl our overs within the allotted time, surely the elite players can do the same.

I agree, but I can see it going in the other direction unfortunately. We can't continue with the farcical situation we have now though.

Completely agree. It is getting a little rediculous they cannot bowl their allotted overs in time and think they should get rid of the warning and just start banning people.

its like the WI players are bred for the short version of the game, not test matches.
great athletes, talented cricketers born to play T20's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joel Paris will be better than Behrendorff or Starc
He looked real good in the one day domestic games. Can't wait to see him start cracking into shield cricket. Think he might have a tough time of doing that this season with the depth of bowling WA have at their disposal.

That's what the big three want you to think. It's already been phased with all these ashes tours and will only get worse. Need to throw support behind those struggling nations, not abandon them. Especially when the nation has produced probably the best and most exciting cricket team that ever has been.

That's what the big three want you to think. It's already been phased with all these ashes tours and will only get worse. Need to throw support behind those struggling nations, not abandon them. Especially when the nation has produced probably the best and most exciting cricket team that ever has been.

New Zealand are a team we should see a lot more of over the next 5-10 years. They are building a strong team.

I'd like to see the West Indies retained as a Test nation, but things are certainly looking bleak. They need to re-vamp/re-assess their First Class system, and weed out the "problem" arseh*le types in the Cricket Board, who seem to get the shits with certain players at the drop of a hat, a la the Pakistani Cricket Board.

Not sure how unpopular this would be, but I'd have a four-tiered Test/Associate set-up

Test Tier 1 (Test status, playing 5 Test series against each other, and 3-Test series against Tier 2 nations)
Australia
England
India
South Africa

Test Tier 2 (Test Status, playing 3-Test series against each other and Test Tier 1 nations)
New Zealand
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
West Indies or Bangladesh

Associate Tier 1 (Associate Status, playing 3-Test series against each other, and 2-Test series against Assoc. Tier 2 nations)
Bangladesh or West Indies
Ireland
The Netherlands
Zimbabwe

Associate Tier 2 (Associate Status, playing 2-Test series against each other and Assoc. Tier 2 nations)
Afghanistan
Canada
Kenya
Scotland

Re-assess every 4 years based on results. Culminate each 4 year period with a World Cup, involving all 16 teams.

I'd like to see the West Indies retained as a Test nation, but things are certainly looking bleak. They need to re-vamp/re-assess their First Class system, and weed out the "problem" arseh*le types in the Cricket Board, who seem to get the shits with certain players at the drop of a hat, a la the Pakistani Cricket Board.

Not sure how unpopular this would be, but I'd have a four-tiered Test/Associate set-up

Test Tier 1 (Test status, playing 5 Test series against each other, and 3-Test series against Tier 2 nations)
Australia
England
India
South Africa

Test Tier 2 (Test Status, playing 3-Test series against each other and Test Tier 1 nations)
New Zealand
Pakistan
Sri Lanka

Associate Tier 1 (Associate Status, playing 3-Test series against each other, and 2-Test series against Assoc. Tier 2 nations)
Ireland
The Netherlands
Zimbabwe

Associate Tier 2 (Associate Status, playing 2-Test series against each other and Assoc. Tier 2 nations)
Afghanistan
Canada
Kenya
Scotland

Re-assess every 4 years based on results. Culminate each 4 year period with a World Cup, involving all 16 teams.
The West Indies aren't a nation, they are combination of counties in the Carribean Sea, who each year get further and further away from being a unit due to changes in social and economic conditions in each country. The Allan Stamford debacle in all seriousness signalled the end of them as a serious test nation.

I hope I am wrong, but I can't see any way back for them.

Australia
England
India
South Africa

New Zealand
Pakistan
Sri Lanka

Ireland
The Netherlands
Zimbabwe

Afghanistan
Canada
Kenya
Scotland

Afghanistan would be in Associate Tier 1.

Much better team than the Netherlands who are shit and worse than Namibia and the like

The West Indies aren't a nation, they are combination of counties in the Carribean Sea

I understand that. I was using the term "nation" loosely in their situation.

who each year get further and further away from being a unit due to changes in social and economic conditions in each country. The Allan Stamford debacle in all seriousness signalled the end of them as a serious test nation.

I hope I am wrong, but I can't see any way back for them.

Is it maybe time for them to "break up" as a collective entity, and spend some time as individual nations (Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados, etc.) at Associate level, and see who emerges as a Test-standard nation? Or would that just doom the sport (financially, participation, etc.) in the region even further?

Afghanistan would be in Associate Tier 1.

Much better team than the Netherlands who are shit and worse than Namibia and the like

Fair enough, switch them around then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back