Opinion Unpopular opinion about your own club

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of Freo's identity is built around us still chasing our first flag, Most Freo fans wont know what to do when/if we win one.

Also, it was a tragedy that South and East Fremantle couldn't put aside their ego's when we were formed because we should be called the Sharks which would have stopped all those silly anchor jokes i got constantly at school.
Fremantle Sharks would be a way better name. If you believe in feng shui an anchor is a terrible symbol (but also kind of different/cool too).

They changes our song lyrics from "We're the mighty Adelaide Crows" to "and we're known as the Adelaide Crows" for no good reason, and it stinks, and I hate it, and the club has been on a downward spiral since this insipid change and NO ONE SEEMS TO SEE THE CORRELATION!
Oh yeah I didn't even notice until you mentioned. Why? Such a daft line too.

I don't think I have any opinions most (clued in) supporters would disagree with. Our current song is terrible, but we barely hear it anyway, but I don't know a single person who likes it. It should be a decision members vote on.

Fremantle Sharks would be a way better name. If you believe in feng shui an anchor is a terrible symbol (but also kind of different/cool too).
Would've alienated South Freo supporters if they'd adopted East Freo's name. That's why they went with purple (red + blue) and white as their main colours too, isn't it? The 3 chevrons are even kind of a combination of South Freo's V and East Freo's (now historical) hoops.

Would've alienated South Freo supporters if they'd adopted East Freo's name. That's why they went with purple (red + blue) and white as their main colours too, isn't it? The 3 chevrons are even kind of a combination of South Freo's V and East Freo's (now historical) hoops.
I don't know the specifics of the formation of the Dockers...but that's interesting, never thought of that.

Agreed, would have been a tough sell. They could have moved to Fremantle oval as a concession to try and smooth it over, eventually people would have moved on.

To avoid alienating both easts or souths we ended up having no meaningful connection to either

No.

Kelly said that Fremantle were directed by the AFL to utilise more than two colours in their jumper, settling on purple, green and white before red was later added.

The design by Neil Turner, the creator of the Boxing Kangaroo, initially featured royal blue before Turner re-jigged the design.

“The (royal blue) jumper looked ok but it was only just ok,” Kelly said.

Then Neil surprised us all by effectively saying ‘I know how to fix it but you probably won’t agree.’”

“He then showed us what would become the original home jumper with the purple, and it lifted the whole jumper completely and we were hooked on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back