Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they have done the right thing by making it a woman, heading off comparisons with Brent and Scott, I think the post-COVID return to work gives it a current story point, add the Australianisms and it could be good. I'll be checking it out at least.

It's still that character though, whether it's a man or a woman the idiot boss is crucial to the show being good. I'd have my doubts about Felicity Ward but I'll give it a go.

I think they have done the right thing by making it a woman, heading off comparisons with Brent and Scott, I think the post-COVID return to work gives it a current story point, add the Australianisms and it could be good. I'll be checking it out at least.
Yeah I will watch the first. See if it's been streamified to death.

It's still that character though, whether it's a man or a woman the idiot boss is crucial to the show being good. I'd have my doubts about Felicity Ward but I'll give it a go.
I think she might be able to take that nasty edge off the original Brent character.

Yeah, if there's a criticism of Utopia (and I definitely feel as though it's gone on a season or even two too long), it's that it's probably run out of ideas on satire of mega infrastructure projects and probably focuses 80% of its screen time to office life. And when you frame it like that and stop worrying about its quality dropping off from the first 2-3 seasons, you realise it's probably the perfect Australian answer to The Office.

I saw a preview of the Australian version of The Office and it didn't look good but I didn't like the US version either.

I would rather just watch repeats of the original UK version of The Office than watch other less funny versions of it.

Australian Office could definitely work with the right cast

Like Mick Molloy, Sam Pang and Andy Maher?

I don't think Brent was nasty at all, Finchy was but not Brent.

You could see it with the comparisons to Michael Scott (Steve Carrill's David Brent equivalent in the US version). As an aside, speaking as one of those insufferable purists who wouldn't even give the US Office a chance for many years, because it could never stand up to the UK version, I'm so glad I gave it a chance. It isn't Ricky Gervais/Martin Freeman/Mackenzie Crook, but it's bloody great nonetheless.

Anyway, I think I recall it being described thusly: Michael Scott wants his staff to love him, because he thinks they're amazing; David Brent wants his staff to love him, because, he thinks he's amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back