Autopsy v the rubber head bands

Remove this Banner Ad

Chom injured
Corr injured
Wardlaw trip suspension
LDU dangerous tackle suspension
Darcy Tucker dangerous tackle suspension

You don’t actually think LDU will be suspended for that?

You really notice the way Geelong see an open, unstructured field ahead of them and they don't wait, they move it quickly and exploit the lack of setup. Professional strategic footy. Too often we do the opposite, players take a mark and play David Noble footy, waiting way too long for the opposition to set up behind them, blast it long to a contest, absolutely no advantage to us unless X or Chom can pull out a miracle contested mark. We die by the sword all the time, we should try living by it for a change.
Why bring David Nobel into it? Clarko has coached them for 2 seasons now

I hope you're right, but how can you be certain of that? As it stands we can barely beat anyone?
Sheezel is a gun, Wardlaw is promising. McKercher is promising.
LDU would be elite if he could use it better.
Xerri has really stepped up. Comben been pretty good.
Larkey is solid. Archer has showed some signs.
Curtis has talent but not yet a reliable factor. Logue should be solid for coming years.
After that, it's generally plodders.
There are still a lot of holes to fill before we start beating teams IMO.

We’ve got a year or two to fill those holes. Otherwise some of the better players on our list will be too old.

We can’t just plod along being this absolute failure organisation allowing 5 year blocks to disappear as if they’re nothing. We’ve got players like LDU in their prime. We need to expect more from the group that we have. So much is unacceptable.

I’d cut him loose and spend the cash elsewhere in a second. He ain’t worth it.
It's a tough one. He really hasn't improved in 3-4 years and still does the same dumb things he did early career.

There's also the side to it that he'll look good when we can start moving the ball more efficiently as we become a better side.
Genuinely torn, but think we should keep as we aren't exactly flush with impact players forward of centre.

Get Toby back in there. He works with the other talls way better than Teakle.
Teaks has the height over him, but he's essentially non-competitive in ruck. You could even give Charlie 5 minutes in the ruck and park him a kick behind the ball.
Definitely a smarter footballer. Just lacks a few tools. Amazing how much better our fwd structures look with him in the team.

It's a tough one. He really hasn't improved in 3-4 years and still does the same dumb things he did early career.

There's also the side to it that he'll look good when we can start moving the ball more efficiently as we become a better side.
Genuinely torn, but think we should keep as we aren't exactly flush with impact players forward of centre.
Iam happy to keep him and get rid of the obvious spuds.

Serious regression this week. It was rightly noted by a fair few posters on here that our improved form after the bye confirmed how much of our dismal pre-bye form was above the shoulders, and it's clear from today's game that the mental side is still a real problem for us. Decision-making was abysmal throughout the match - skill errors will happen (nowhere near as often as we manage to have them, though...) but all three tall forwards running into the same space, defenders in tandem unable to co-ordinate rushing straightforward behinds, routinely selecting the wrong option going inside 50... just a team-wide failure to play consistent accountable football.

I don't think the small patches of successful fast ball movement (early on, and the brief 3rd quarter revival) should really be cause for much positivity either - we obviously figured that was a vulnerability we could exploit, we did for a bit then weren't able to much more, that's not the makings of a truly improved footy side any more than Powell's torpedo over the back against GC was. I don't think coaching was the real problem today either, although failing to do much to negate/counter Stewart's influence was a failure, and whilst I don't think we had many great personnel options there, maybe Pink rather than Teakle gives us more flexibility with stopping him. It looked mostly to me like the issue was limited and inconsistent output from pretty much everyone bar Sheezel and maybe one or two others - LDU very busy early but very quiet once we lost the link-up running game a bit, Shiels and Scott very anonymous, etc.

In the last 8 games, despite the hype generated by not being complete witches hats at last, we've won the two games you'd have pencilled in at the start of the year only, and at some point improvement has to mean more than bare minimum competitiveness. That doesn't negate the relatively difficult run we were fixtured over the last three matches, but for a side supposedly on the up, we've missed the opportunity for a serious statement win to certify the turnaround isn't only transitory. The next two are games we should be winning, so what may be more telling is how those matches play out, whether we can actually manage something a little more convincing and comprehensive - narrow margins in both suggests we haven't really come that far, and choking either would confirm we're basically just spinning our wheels.

Chom injured
Corr injured
Wardlaw trip suspension
LDU dangerous tackle suspension
Darcy Tucker dangerous tackle suspension

Every trip this year has been a fine and there’s been ones worse then todays. George will be fine.

LDU might get 3 from the mro but easy appeal and overturn as the cats player spun so all momentum was going that way

Tucker is a blatant suspension and there’s no arguing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are playing patches of better football. Unquestionably. But what has it meant? Narrow wins over a floundering WC and a GC team that can't win away.
We also showed good signs under Noble in his first year, best wooden spooner ever IIRC, and where did that go?
Until we start getting results flashes of good footy are just a tease.
It's not "flashes" of good footy. It's quarters and halves of good footy. We're showing a lot of promise. Only caring about wins and losses is either being intentionally reductive to have a reason to sulk, or it's just plain ignorance.

The irony is that I copped shit from the emo whingers at the bye for saying that we had 4 more winnable games left. You guys said I was unrealistic and we'd struggle to win 1 game. Now those same whingers are crying because we only look like we'll win 4 games and they are all easy wins against bad sides.

I don’t think I can ever put myself through another David King Geelong game …

I reckon he watches Cats training videos in bed, with a Tom Stewart moulded Fleshlight !
Very noticeable.

Over the top for a team that's running out of steam I would have thought.

Can't help think that pumping up a Chris Scott led team is a backhander at Brad Scott.

-That scoreline was not an accurate reflection of the game.
We were comfortably in that game and had a costly final 3 mins of the 3rd quarter which took the wind out of our sails.

-Our 3 outs today cost us dearly because it exposed some real Potatoes who should not be playing AFL footy. Our depth is diabolical and hopefully improves with some good recruiting.

-Geelong are a nothing more than decent football team with a very mediocre midfield. In a year or two we should fly past them.
Thats the last time we lose to them for the next 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy v the rubber head bands

Remove this Banner Ad

Back