Opinion Vent - Players you wanted your club to draft but they didnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
In a thread on the Eagles board, someone wrote up a list of rookie listed players we had and taken back to 2016 when Liam Ryan was coming off a good year. Kicked 40 gials in 16 games and just showed he was ready for next step. Instead of selecting him, Eagles decided to pick up a treasure chest of boob players who did nothing. Meanwhile Liam Ryan dominates 2017 and we use pick 26 on him instead 12 months later.

I also have nightmarea bout Darcy Cameron. He just showed a absolute ton in his draft year, We have pick 37 coming up and Cameron is still on the board. Surely we pick up a guy whose capable of playing both tall forward and ruck, a spot we desperately wanted to fill at the time. Nope, Josh Rotham it is. Then end up trading for Nathan Vardy whose similar and was damn important in 2018 but in that time frame, we simply had to take Cameron, didnt and in 2024 are desperate for a player like Cameron in our squad

One that isnt from me but from Peter Sumich. After draft day, he went absolutely ape that neither Eagles or Fremantle got active to get a 2nd rounder to pick up Chad Warner. If only one of us listened to him :(

Whose your golden goose that got away

I really wanted us to draft Ethan Phillips. Looking back, if an established young player who plays in a position of need for many clubs doesn't get picked up for minimum chips, there's probably a reason why.

Curtis Taylor, Ed Allen, Josh Weddle.

And the one that hurt as he was under our nose for a few years - James Podsiadly

Just you wait until a Carlton supporter with time on their hands finds this thread.

The depths of our suffering can be likened to the Mariana Trench.

Once you hear the name Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (taken one pick ahead of Touk and Maynard), you’ll begin to understand.

apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

Carlton's 20 years of being ignorant/second rate at drafting results in so many names for this:
2000 Pick 4: Luke Livingston over Shaun Burgoyne, Daniel Kerr and Daniel Cross.
2004 Pick 9: Jordan Russell over Mark Lecras, Matt Rosa and Nathan van Berlo.
2009 Pick 12: Kane Lucas over Mitch Duncan, Jack Gunston and Max Gawn.
2010 Pick 18: Matthew Watson over Cam Guthrie, Luke Parker and Isaac Smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are 3 that stand out for me.

2015 - Pick 11. I was completely enamoured with Charlie Curnow. I don’t think I’d ever wanted a player so badly on our list that I knew we had a genuine shot at drafting - I just remember watching so much footage of Curnow in his under 18 days and knowing how well he would fit our list. By the time the draft rolled around it was painfully obvious we weren’t going near Curnow, partially due to the flight risk, and partially due to him getting done drink driving in the lead up to the draft which doesn’t fit in with our choir boy selection policy (which clearly leads to a huge amount of success). We selected the local lad Wayne Milera. Curnow went at the next pick. Sigh*

2015 - Pick 17. 6 picks later, I’m still recovering from us not selecting future hall of famer Curnow, and local product Ryan Burton just made all sorts of sense for us here. Was coming off a serious injury, but there’s no other standouts on the board, and surely we’re taking him. We pull the biggest surprise of the 2015 draft and select 188cm lockdown defender Tom Doedee from the clouds. “Who the fk is that” rang out across Crows households - Doedee had been mentioned in zero phantom drafts inside the top 30, and honestly, a 188cm defender with virtually no offensive game made little to no sense to anyone as a first round pick. Doedee has since been cruelled by injury and left as a FA, but ultimately he turned into a great interceptor and turned out to be a better pick than Burton IMO, as Burton has been a disappointment for the majority of his career even when fit, and is barely holding on to an AFL list spot. Burton was taken 2 picks later.

2019 - we had pick 4 and traded it down to pick 6. I was completely enamoured with Hayden Young and thought it was a blatantly obvious list fit, in addition to him looking like a great player with attributes that any club would love on their list. I hated the idea of taking a key defender that early, but come draft day, we all knew what was going to happen. We took key defender Fischer McAsey, who lasted 10 games in the AFL before retiring due to mental health issues. Young was taken at the very next pick. Note to recruiters: if it’s a poor draft for key forwards (it was), maybe tread carefully with how highly you rate the key defenders in said draft. Sigh*

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Vent - Players you wanted your club to draft but they didnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back