VFL VFL 2023 - [Rnd11 vs * - Sunday June 4 - 1:35pm @NEC Hangar]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was solid, but didn't dominate; Thomas the most dynamic mid
Was better in the last quarter. Had a bit of the old touch in the last, but his defensive stuff and getting to contests wasn’t like the old times.

Wardlaw wouldn’t be getting a sniff at any other club. Look at Cam McKenzie, just had 30 and 1 and is in and out of the team. Wardlaw is averaging 19 and we’re talking about throwing him in. Fmd.

Any other club is way better than us. The only real reason not to bring him in is if we think he’ll get hurt. I bet if you asked him if he’d like to be selected, I know what George would say. It wouldn’t be “Nah, the team is losing by too much. It’d wreck my confidence.” If we’re worried about his tank, then we should pick him as our sub.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Any other club is way better than us. The only real reason not to bring him in is if we think he’ll get hurt. I bet if you asked him if he’d like to be selected, I know what George would say. It wouldn’t be “Nah, the team is losing by too much. It’d wreck my confidence.” If we’re worried about his tank, then we should pick him as our sub.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
But by picking him as the sub it’s completely counter productive to the direction they have started down in building up his fitness.

It probably won't be a popular opinion on here with people already having put a line through his name, but I'd give Edwards another season and tell him his endurance stats have to increase 10-15% (minimum).

He can mark, and he can kick, but he needs to get around the ground a lot more, as he won't out-body too many

I’d de-list him (rocket) and allow him to train with the club up and until the rookie draft. If he shows some improvement then give him the last rookie spot.

As I’ve posted before I haven’t seen enough of him, so this is a genuine question - at this stage if he’s unable to compete at VFL fitness level, surely he is 3-4 years off AFL standards?

To not be able to contest at VFL to then gut bust at AFL with repeat leads, chasing (because AFL key defenders will try hurt you), potentially 2nd Ruck at times or even first ruck in the event of an early injury…just screams miles off it from reports.

The best excuse given for him for the lack of contesting is fitness - this isn’t “lack of 15 disposal/4 goal games”, it’s just an inability to compete.

As I’ve posted before I haven’t seen enough of him, so this is a genuine question - at this stage if he’s unable to compete at VFL fitness level, surely he is 3-4 years off AFL standards?

To not be able to contest at VFL to then gut bust at AFL with repeat leads, chasing (because AFL key defenders will try hurt you), potentially 2nd Ruck at times or even first ruck in the event of an early injury…just screams miles off it from reports.

The best excuse given for him for the lack of contesting is fitness - this isn’t “lack of 15 disposal/4 goal games”, it’s just an inability to compete.

He has put on a fair few kg's since he started at the club. Realistically if he ran himself into the ground and was on point with every facet of his training, then he could turn it around relatively quickly, but I'm not sure he wants it that bad.

Then we need to be better at identifying these types of players.

See so many other players get the most out of themselves at other clubs, meanwhile we struggle to get the even consistent footy out of top 20 and top 40 draft picks.
It’s mostly psychological testing but you can’t underestimate what competition for spots in a performing side does for bringing out that hunger

You wonder why this VFL competition is a joke .
We have the VFL side plays 1pm then the AFL at 1:40pm go figure to bad the VFL game isn’t at 7pm or a Sunday game would have been nice to go straight after the AFL and it’s only 45 minutes from Home.

VFL Coaches votes

North Melbourne 20.11 (131) def Frankston 9.2 (58)
Callum Coleman-Jones (NM)
8 Tarryn Thomas (NM)
4 Daniel Howe (NM)
3 Will Phillips (NM)
3 George Wardlaw (NM)
2 Jack Watkins (NM)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL Coaches votes

8 Tarryn Thomas (NM)
4 Daniel Howe (NM)
3 Will Phillips (NM)
3 George Wardlaw (NM)
2 Jack Watkins (NM)

So one coach thought Will Phillips was 3rd best on ground and didn't rate George Wardlaw in the top 5, and the other coach thought George Wardlaw was 3rd best player on the ground and didn't rate Will Phillips in the top 5. Which one was our coach could be significant in terms of AFL selection this week.

So one coach thought Will Phillips was 3rd best on ground and didn't rate George Wardlaw in the top 5, and the other coach thought George Wardlaw was 3rd best player on the ground and didn't rate Will Phillips in the top 5. Which one was our coach could be significant in terms of AFL selection this week.
I guess that is one way of interpreting it.

VFL Coaches votes

8 Tarryn Thomas (NM)
4 Daniel Howe (NM)
3 Will Phillips (NM)
3 George Wardlaw (NM)
2 Jack Watkins (NM)

Coach A
5 CCJ
4 Thomas
3 Phillips
2 Howe
1 Watkins

Coach B
5 CCJ
4 Thomas
3 Wardlaw
2 Howe
1 Watkins

Saturday, May 20​

Casey v North Melbourne at Casey Fields, 1.35pm AEST

BJ. Lienert (66)K. Dawson (42)A. Bonar (16)
HBB. Davis (50)B. Stevens (54)L. Butler (49)
CC. Taylor (5)C. Downie (47)B. Cunnington (10)
HFT. Sellers (62)S. Lowson (60)C. Harvey (37)
FJ. Edwards (32)C. Lazzaro (35)K. Turner (28)
RH. Free (45)T. Thomas (26)J. Watkins (56)
INTC. Smith (53)J. Hope (54)N. Stevens (55)
J. Ellwood (79)
23rd PlayerB. Bath (58)
EMGS. Tucker (51)H. Murphy (59)T. O'Sullivan (80)
J. McCormick (84)
INSC. Taylor (5)A. Bonar (16)C. Smith (53)
J. Hope (54)N. Stevens (55)T. Sellers (62)
J. Ellwood (79)
OUTG. Wardlaw (6)D. Howe (15)C. Coleman-Jones (21)
W. Phillips (29)J. Goater (31) - kneeA. Hall (43)
N. Hodgson (64) - injured

Saturday, May 20​

J. Ellwood (79)
23rd PlayerB. Bath (58)
J. McCormick (84)
J. Ellwood (79)

Even in tough times, this is still a reasonable side - a fair yardstick is that Hamish Murphy, who has a crack in the backline, and doesn't get beaten 1:1 too often, can only get a look in as an emergency.

Time for Edwards to stand up at FF

Saturday, May 20​

J. Ellwood (79)
23rd PlayerB. Bath (58)
J. McCormick (84)
J. Ellwood (79)

Howe not named so seems hes the Sub. Cunners to drop out as the gameday emergency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back