VFL - Premiers v Werribee Sat Jun 24 - 2.00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Half time
Footscray 5-10-40
Werribee 3-7-25

Goals: Bruhn 3, Hamilton 1, Lipinski 1

We struggled that quarter; Werribee running it out of defence far too easily. Thank goodness for Fletch saving us on a couple of occasions after they'd got the break and had space in their forward line.

Matthew Boyd having an impact, probably our best. Roberts outstanding. Collins has been solid alongside Fletch. Lipinski quieter that quarter. Webb not having as much impact as previous home games I've watched. Tim English has a touch of class which makes up for the bigger-bodied Werribee ruck's dominance. Clay been okay without starring. Bailey Williams playing with intensity (expect he'll not appear after half-time given all three senior emergencies lined up here).
I'm off to warm up with a coffee. Saturday afternoon Whitten Oval - the perfect prelude to our resurgence tonight.

Love your work Vinny

Bees pinch two goals since my last update. Gowers nails a steadier but we are being outplayed this quarter. Clay receives a heavy knock to the shoulder at the following centre square stoppage but seems okay.
Dogs 59 Werribee 50

Three-quarter time
Footscray 11-12-78
Werribee 7-8-50
Matthew Boyd leading a Dogs surge from about the ten minute mark of that quarter. Loving Bruhn's game - slotted four and gave off our last of the quarter. Williams, Smith, Roberts all clearly above VFL standard and showing it. Collins, Young continue to play steady supporting roles down back. English is a winner. I'll talk through the negatives in my post-game summary.

Three-quarter time
Footscray 11-12-78
Werribee 7-8-50
Matthew Boyd leading a Dogs surge from about the ten minute mark of that quarter. Loving Bruhn's game - slotted four and gave off our last of the quarter. Williams, Smith, Roberts all clearly above VFL standard and showing it. Collins, Young continue to play steady supporting roles down back. English is a winner. I'll talk through the negatives in my post-game summary.
Thanks Vinegar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nash a quick snap for some reward after a plenty of overdue Dogs effort. We're home now - too strong all over the ground.
Dogs 85 Werribee 63

NMM on the end of some rigour from Tristan Tweedie (two handball intercepts to keep the ball deep in our forward line.
Dogs 95 Werribee 69

66. ANTHONY BRUHN
AnthonyBruhn_VFL_TeamPhotos_20170406__DSC5377.jpg

Height:
186cm
Weight: 80kg
D.O.B.: 09/03/80
Previous Club: Frankston YCW

Recruited from Frankston YCW after a successful period down on the Mornington Peninsula, Bruhn will provide a goal scoring outlet inside 50. Good overhead, the 186cm mid-sized forward is a renown goal kicker.

With this DOB - is he 37?

Maybe oldest rookie in history?

Like the look of tweedie young Fletcher Collins
Smith did a bit - in and out
Webb involved
But no stand outs
Moyd good but plenty of errors

Fletcher in the end only one too look AFL standard - and I don't normally commend fletch - looked imperial
In that case, Moyd stays in the VFL

Post-game appraisal of Senior Listed Players:

Matthew Boyd: Best on ground; was a controlling influence down back and got better as the game went on [yebiga, we obviously saw his game differently but that's okay I guess.]
Clay Smith: Gave his all today and will have a part to play in our AFL fortunes; played a more central role and made an impact when needed.
Fletcher Roberts: Way above this level; he's the defence general for the Dogs VFL and had plenty of influence.
Lukas Webb: Much quieter than other games I've seen this season; had a purple patch during the third but was otherwise just okay.
Declan Hamilton: Could have kicked five goals but was terrible in front of the sticks.
Patrick Lipinski: Started with a terrific first quarter but faded out; will make it.
Kieran Collins: One of our best; his last quarter was dominant and he snuffed out any vague hope Werribee might have had for an unlikely comeback.
Lewis Young: Good in patches; saved plenty of goal opportunities and will be better when he knows when a spoil could have been a mark.
Bailey Williams: Great until subbed out at three quarter time; made an exhilarating dash through heavy traffic to spot up a teammate in front of goal.
Brad Lynch: Didn't have a huge impact and made a couple of elementary mistakes; I'm far from convinced.
Nathan Mullenger-McHugh: Had his moments; not helped but a lack of continuity in where he plays - was mainly forward today but also spent time in defence.
Tristan Tweedie: Apart from a one-minute passage during the last when he made two great handball intercepts that resulted in a goal, was largely unsighted.

Special mention:
Anthony Bruhn: At 37, rangy, hairline-receding, he was fantastic and inspiring to watch. Legend.

Post-game appraisal of Senior Listed Players:

Matthew Boyd: Best on ground; was a controlling influence down back and got better as the game went on [yebiga, we obviously saw his game differently but that's okay I guess.]
Clay Smith: Gave his all today and will have a part to play in our AFL fortunes; played a more central role and made an impact when needed.
Fletcher Roberts: Way above this level; he's the defence general for the Dogs VFL and had plenty of influence.
Lukas Webb: Much quieter than other games I've seen this season; had a purple patch during the third but was otherwise just okay.
Declan Hamilton: Could have kicked five goals but was terrible in front of the sticks.
Patrick Lipinski: Started with a terrific first quarter but faded out; will make it.
Kieran Collins: One of our best; his last quarter was dominant and he snuffed out any vague hope Werribee might have had for an unlikely comeback.
Lewis Young: Good in patches; saved plenty of goal opportunities and will be better when he knows when a spoil could have been a mark.
Bailey Williams: Great until subbed out at three quarter time; made an exhilarating dash through heavy traffic to spot up a teammate in front of goal.
Brad Lynch: Didn't have a huge impact and made a couple of elementary mistakes; I'm far from convinced.
Nathan Mullenger-McHugh: Had his moments; not helped but a lack of continuity in where he plays - was mainly forward today but also spent time in defence.
Tristan Tweedie: Apart from a one-minute passage during the last when he made two great handball intercepts that resulted in a goal, was largely unsighted.

Special mention:
Anthony Bruhn: At 37, rangy, hairline-receding, he was fantastic and inspiring to watch. Legend.

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-01-20/young-returns-as-scray-reload-for-17

Anthony Bruhn (
(Frankston YCW)

ā€œAnthony is from Frankston YCW which is where (2016 VFL premiership player) Anthony Barry is from.

ā€œAnthony has been a successful player down on the Mornington Peninsula for a number of years.

ā€œA school teacher by trade, 25 years old, around about 188cm forward, he kicked almost 70 goals in the Mornington Peninsula league in Frankston YCWā€™s successful season.

ā€œHeā€™s an exciting, experienced player to have on board.ā€

Is the earlier DOB on here a typo?

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL - Premiers v Werribee Sat Jun 24 - 2.00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back