VFL - Premiers v Werribee Sat Jun 24 - 2.00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Webb did get injured (maybe in the second half of the third quarter from memory). Was fairly quiet up to then though.

Correct, got crunched in a tackle and took forever to get up; went straight to the bench. Prior to that he was having the least impact of any game I've seen him play.

Unpopular opinion but I still think M.Boyd would be a better option in finals football than Bailey Williams this year - if we even make finals.

The way Matthew Boyd played on Saturday suggests he means to be there in September. I'd also prefer him to Bailey Williams at this stage.

I didn't attend the game out at Casey so can't comment on his first game in the VFL, but Boydy was very good against Werribee (as you'd expect). Got heaps of the footy and used it well, pushing up the ground as far as half-forward; nullified and won disputed possessions. Provided plenty of direction.

Yes, he's slowed right down but when he's in the groove his poise makes up for it. Hopefully this stint for Footscray will restore some confidence for one last crack in the AFL.

The way Matthew Boyd played on Saturday suggests he means to be there in September. I'd also prefer him to Bailey Williams at this stage.

I didn't attend the game out at Casey so can't comment on his first game in the VFL, but Boydy was very good against Werribee (as you'd expect). Got heaps of the footy and used it well, pushing up the ground as far as half-forward; nullified and won disputed possessions. Provided plenty of direction.

Yes, he's slowed right down but when he's in the groove his poise makes up for it. Hopefully this stint for Footscray will restore some confidence for one last crack in the AFL.

He also hasn't been alone in looking completely out of form at AFL level this year. That has been consistent for a lot of our older and younger guys alike.

Boyd went at 100% kicking efficiency on Saturday. Does anyone know if Boyd has gone at 100% kicking efficiency in a VFL or AFL game ever before? I can't say I'd be surprised if he hadn't, given he is someone whose kicking is admittedly one of his career weaknesses.

Correct, he was subbed out at 3QT presumably to join the senior squad at Etihad as a 'just in case'. In my opinion was a solid contributor during the minutes he played (regardless of what the stats say).

This is the worry for me. I expect Williams to be doing better than this with the time he has been on the list and the talent he has. I just think he should be among the better players at this level but too often the reports are he is "ok". I still have high hopes for him (and Webb but he seems the same)

This is the worry for me. I expect Williams to be doing better than this with the time he has been on the list and the talent he has. I just think he should be among the better players at this level but too often the reports are he is "ok". I still have high hopes for him (and Webb but he seems the same)
He has been on the list for a season and a half. He is playing to expectations compared to where he was drafted (pick 48) and compared to a lot of the players taken around him, many who haven't even played a game.
Think some a lot of people are way to impatient with our younger players. Nothing wrong with developing in the reserves for a year or two or three until they are ready.

Williams is on track - he is very close to being a permanent AFL 22 for us. Has done nothing wrong but just needs to not forget his offensive side In the AFL. That may still happen this year but if not definitely next year.

I reckon Webbs not far off either. Needs a little more hint of the animal than he shows. A players desire and comfort in giving and receiving physical contact is far far more important than we are comfortable conceding.

It may well be the most important trait of all.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL - Premiers v Werribee Sat Jun 24 - 2.00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back