VFL - Premiers v Werribee Sat Jun 24 - 2.00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I recall when he played on a televised game earlier this year the commentators discussed his advanced age. Of course they might have obtained their dodgy info from the same place as me.

Post-game appraisal of Senior Listed Players:

Matthew Boyd: Best on ground; was a controlling influence down back and got better as the game went on [yebiga, we obviously saw his game differently but that's okay I guess.]
Clay Smith: Gave his all today and will have a part to play in our AFL fortunes; played a more central role and made an impact when needed.
Fletcher Roberts: Way above this level; he's the defence general for the Dogs VFL and had plenty of influence.
Lukas Webb: Much quieter than other games I've seen this season; had a purple patch during the third but was otherwise just okay.
Declan Hamilton: Could have kicked five goals but was terrible in front of the sticks.
Patrick Lipinski: Started with a terrific first quarter but faded out; will make it.
Kieran Collins: One of our best; his last quarter was dominant and he snuffed out any vague hope Werribee might have had for an unlikely comeback.
Lewis Young: Good in patches; saved plenty of goal opportunities and will be better when he knows when a spoil could have been a mark.
Bailey Williams: Great until subbed out at three quarter time; made an exhilarating dash through heavy traffic to spot up a teammate in front of goal.
Brad Lynch: Didn't have a huge impact and made a couple of elementary mistakes; I'm far from convinced.
Nathan Mullenger-McHugh: Had his moments; not helped but a lack of continuity in where he plays - was mainly forward today but also spent time in defence.
Tristan Tweedie: Apart from a one-minute passage during the last when he made two great handball intercepts that resulted in a goal, was largely unsighted.

Special mention:
Anthony Bruhn: At 37, rangy, hairline-receding, he was fantastic and inspiring to watch. Legend.

VM - really appreciate your efforts mate! Brilliant real time commentary.

Lets hope this gets the 1's going tonight.

Went down to the ground this arvo and BOY have things changed since the 90's when I used to go sit on the old hill and drink cans. The staff and service were first class, and the new facilities are a-one in a non pretentious way.. They even gave me a discount for my north membership. The stands provided great views.

Well done, I'll be going to Whitten Oval again.

Post-game appraisal of Senior Listed Players:

Matthew Boyd: Best on ground; was a controlling influence down back and got better as the game went on [yebiga, we obviously saw his game differently but that's okay I guess.]
Clay Smith: Gave his all today and will have a part to play in our AFL fortunes; played a more central role and made an impact when needed.
Fletcher Roberts: Way above this level; he's the defence general for the Dogs VFL and had plenty of influence.
Lukas Webb: Much quieter than other games I've seen this season; had a purple patch during the third but was otherwise just okay.
Declan Hamilton: Could have kicked five goals but was terrible in front of the sticks.
Patrick Lipinski: Started with a terrific first quarter but faded out; will make it.
Kieran Collins: One of our best; his last quarter was dominant and he snuffed out any vague hope Werribee might have had for an unlikely comeback.
Lewis Young: Good in patches; saved plenty of goal opportunities and will be better when he knows when a spoil could have been a mark.
Bailey Williams: Great until subbed out at three quarter time; made an exhilarating dash through heavy traffic to spot up a teammate in front of goal.
Brad Lynch: Didn't have a huge impact and made a couple of elementary mistakes; I'm far from convinced.
Nathan Mullenger-McHugh: Had his moments; not helped but a lack of continuity in where he plays - was mainly forward today but also spent time in defence.
Tristan Tweedie: Apart from a one-minute passage during the last when he made two great handball intercepts that resulted in a goal, was largely unsighted.

Special mention:
Anthony Bruhn: At 37, rangy, hairline-receding, he was fantastic and inspiring to watch. Legend.

Thanks a mill VM

Went down to the ground this arvo and BOY have things changed since the 90's when I used to go sit on the old hill and drink cans. The staff and service were first class, and the new facilities are a-one in a non pretentious way.. They even gave me a discount for my north membership. The stands provided great views.

Well done, I'll be going to Whitten Oval again.
Good name! I was just saying watching Baker in the 77 finals was magic, the way he was taking those hangers at full foward :thumbsu:

Goal kicking very poor in this game too but I can give some leeway given it's outdoors.

Lipinski, M.Boyd, Collins, Roberts, Hamilton and whoever that bloke with balding hair was in the forward 50 - inpressive player that lad - were our best.

Liked Lipinski in the midfield, great handballer, rushes his kicks sometimes though but need to give him a couple more games in VFL playing a similar style. Hopefully by last round or two we know whether the AFL team is making the 8 or not, so we can at least give him a run in the seniors.

Roberts & Collins knocking on the door if Kennedy plays vs us - I don't think he will though and if he doesn't we probably won't need either yet.

Went to the game with my old man again. Got a hot chocolate in one of those sippy cups. Not being a coffee drinker, it's probably my first sippy cup in about 25 years. The hot chocolate felt like a warm hug on a notoriously chilly Whitten Oval day.

My thoughts on our boys.

Collins- his defensive work is improving, stringing some good games together now but his disposal is heart in your mouth stuff at times. Needs some work.

Fletch was pretty good, provides great experience and a sure head at this level. A calming influence for our young group. Was a non Fletch fan for a while but think he's been good this year and unlucky to be out of the AFL team IMO.

Boyd was solid, by the sounds of things others more impressed than I was but certainly didn't play a bad game.

Tweedie - other than two very impressive spoils late in the game that kinda did the opposite of what the Redpath free kick in the seniors last night in providing a sense of calm late in the game, was very disappointed in his game. Directly gave Werribee a goal, didn't have much of an impact and work rate isn't great. Can't get over the size or lack there of, of his legs. Either got dragged or took himself off after he gave away that goal.

Smith - said it last week ill say it again. He's like an erratic bull. He's messy, he's hard at it, but you wouldn't want him any other way. Actually spear tackled a Werribee player. After the hot chocolate, my moment of the day. Did some good crumbling for a goal too.

English - tried hard in the ruck against the monster that is Preuss. Outleapt him a few times but obviously struggled against the big boy in one on ones. Beautiful tap over his head to I think Greeneood who passed to Williams helped set up a goal. At the moment just providing little gold speckles. Soon they'll turn into little nuggets and hopefully in a few years he'll be giving us gold bullions at AFL level.

Williams. Must have to work on something at VFL level because I can't work out why he's there. Class above. Love him.

Lewis Young had some really good moments yesterday around the ground. Club obviously very impressed with him as well.

Hamilton was better than last week which wasn't a high bar to jump over but at his stage of development I'm expecting more and he's not providing it. I'll be stunned if he's retained. Have no idea how he racked up the 30 disposals that was in the report but other than bobbing up for a goal I didn't feel that many of his disposals had an impact.

NMM - didn't really notice much of him.

Webb was solid and doing a lot of the midfield work. Would love to see him in the back half again and let him do what I think he does best and that's use his great foot skills to help set up the play. Got crunched later on in the day and came limping off, not sure whether he returned or not.

Lipinski was good. Handy player but would have liked to have seen one of his early games when he dominated. I haven't seen it yet live. Hopefully produces it again soon.

Lynchy likes to take opponents on with his pace and launch the ball long off the back flank. Just wanna see him get more of the ball.

Keen to see how we go at Victoria Park next week. I'll be there so I'll hopefully have a little write up for you guys again.

How's Matty Boyd's attitude on the ground. Is he playing like his life depends on it, doing a fair bit of on ground coaching ect..? I suspect he is just wouldn't mind some feedback from those who watch.

How's Matty Boyd's attitude on the ground. Is he playing like his life depends on it, doing a fair bit of on ground coaching ect..? I suspect he is just wouldn't mind some feedback from those who watch.
His attitude is fine. Work rate is ok without being exceptional, he is an old man after all.

On ground coaching, coaching on the bench/sidelines and in huddles has been first class. Definitely doing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone tell me why we drafted Tweedie? From all the VFL games I've seen, he looks no better than an average suburban plodder.

Body's held together with sticky tape at the moment. Has some Stringer like tricks when firing

0Fh1ttk.png

dRyPW0h.png

Smith will be back in the side soon with 16 tackles.

63 hitouts to Pruess haha
How in the hell didn't that Gribble bloke for Werribee get in their best?

36 possies, 6 marks, 8 tackles and 2 goals, clear dominant ball winner on the ground :huh::huh::huh::drunk::drunk::drunk::oops:

Bailey Williams only 10 touches, not exactly screaming pick me. Contradicts a few of the reports.

Lol at Norf paying first rounder for Jed Anderson.
I thought one of the reports said Williams was taken out of the game at 3QT. Anyone know?
Still not great stats but maybe was playing very "managed" minutes in this game in case of any injuries during the seniors' warm-up.

I thought one of the reports said Williams was taken out of the game at 3QT. Anyone know?
Still not great stats but maybe was playing very "managed" minutes in this game in case of any injuries during the seniors' warm-up.

Correct, he was subbed out at 3QT presumably to join the senior squad at Etihad as a 'just in case'. In my opinion was a solid contributor during the minutes he played (regardless of what the stats say).

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL - Premiers v Werribee Sat Jun 24 - 2.00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back