VFL Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Love reading the reports.:thumbsu:

I didn't realise Robbie was only 19. He seems to have been injured for years.

If he's playing well in defence, play him in defence. Like with Hansen history may repeat.

The article says that he is 19 and then 2 paragraphs down says he is 21 years old. He was born on the 25/4/89 according to the club website making him 21.

What a load of rubbish.

How often does Jack Reiwoldt get out of the 50 metre arc?

How about Barry Hall?

Surprised he roused you BR.

Fair while since you pulled the boots on year of the roo?

Regardless, the Full Forward may be a dying breed to some extent, I'll give you that one, but only on output. Suggesting that the Full Forward is extinct is a load of ****.

Bradshaw? Hall? Anthony? McKinley? Podsiadly? Riewoldt?

Franklin recently booted over 100 goals, arguably closer to goal.

In-fact _ Since Lockett retired, Lloyd still existed, winning the Coleman in '00 and '01 (94-96 goals).

Fraser Gehrig, Full Forward? Booted 90 and 74 in '04 and '05.

Fevola? Well, arguably the biggest stay at home FF in the game. Won 2 Coleman's and booted 99 in 2008.

Believe me it still exists, the only difference compared to years gone by, is their output and role to an extent.

I never said FF's didn't exist anymore, I just said that they are no longer allowed to just sit in the goalsquare. All those players you mentioned do plenty of work up around the 50m arc and up into half forward. Exactly the role that Edwards has had a crack at dozens of times before. "Playing him deep" isn't the revolutionary idea that you think it is. 3 coaches have tried that with him (Worsfold, Laidley and Scott).

Stay at home FF's have been extinct since Lockett retired (the first time). Those saying 'leave Edwards in the goalsquare' don't understand the modern game.

I never said FF's didn't exist anymore, I just said that they are no longer allowed to just sit in the goalsquare. All those players you mentioned do plenty of work up around the 50m arc and up into half forward. Exactly the role that Edwards has had a crack at dozens of times before. "Playing him deep" isn't the revolutionary idea that you think it is. 3 coaches have tried that with him (Worsfold, Laidley and Scott).

I just assumed that extinct meant that they do not exist. :confused:

Lockett or Dunstall when playing Full Forward also played up the ground on occasions, but like I said due to role changes, perhaps not as much as our FF's nowadays. I get what you're saying, because due to modern game styles, Full Forwards aren't being utilised by teams as they once were.

Doesn't change the fact that Full Forwards are valuable commodities, I mean look at Riewoldt currently leading the Coleman in what was a wooden spoon certainty and with regards to Edwards, if we bring him into the side, he should be played closer to goal for 'longer' periods of time. It is where he is best suited.

70% of Edwards marks are taken outside the forward 50.

Edwards marking ratio is a serviceable 35% when he is targeted inside 50, whilst Hale's ratio of marks to inside 50 targets are virtually half that of Edwards, at a lowly 18%. Another important facet is that Edwards is still in the contest on the 65% of occasions that he does not get the mark, whilst the 88% of the time Hale does not mark virtually leaves us one man down in the forward line.

Hale has also received 40% more Inside 50 targeted ball than Edwards.

The statistics do not lie, Edwards is a far superior option to play out of the goal square when compared to Hale who has been given about 40 games in that role to establish himself.

Edwards also outperforms Warren in all the aforementioned categories.

Put Edwards in the goal square and leave him there for the rest of the year and I guarantee he delivers a better result than Hale. I have complete confidence that he can average 5 shots on goal a game if he plays from the square.

Lachie as the forward that can run up the ground and double back is the perfect foil. Add a resting ruckman or Petrie from time to time and we have a potentially potent mix.

Edwards marking ratio is a serviceable 35% when he is targeted inside 50, whilst Hale's ratio of marks to inside 50 targets are virtually half that of Edwards, at a lowly 18%. Another important facet is that Edwards is still in the contest on the 65% of occasions that he does not get the mark, whilst the 88% of the time Hale does not mark virtually leaves us one man down in the forward line.

The statistics do not lie, Edwards is a far superior option to play out of the goal square when compared to Hale who has been given about 40 games in that role to establish himself.

Put Edwards in the goal square and leave him there for the rest of the year and I guarantee he delivers a better result than Hale. I have complete confidence that he can average 5 shots on goal a game if he plays from the square.

Lachie as the forward that can run up the ground and double back is the perfect foil. Add a resting ruckman or Petrie from time to time and we have a potentially potent mix.
When you see the stats put like that its hard to fathom why they persisted with Hale for so long.

The only thing in favor of that tactic is that Hale took the number one defender most weeks.

However, Azzas marking is that good that I believe that there is not a defender in the comp that could budge the ball out of his hands if he gets first grab at it.

Azza has a vice like grip, and he marks out in front of his face, whereas Hale uses the telescopes, and this technique gives the defender a much better look at the ball and is easier to spoil.

The only thing in favor of that tactic is that Hale took the number one defender most weeks.

However, Azzas marking is that good that I believe that there is not a defender in the comp that could budge the ball out of his hands if he gets first grab at it.

Azza has a vice like grip, and he marks out in front of his face, whereas Hale uses the telescopes, and this technique gives the defender a much better look at the ball and is easier to spoil.

Hale don't use telescopes... he uses bin lids, like the cymbal bashing monkey in toy story 3

Hale don't use telescopes... he uses bin lids, like the cymbal bashing monkey in toy story 3

You may find this hard to believe but last Saturday Haley was taking marks as if he was 200cms. No wrestling, no hands in the back, just jumping for the ball.

Let's hope he can keep it up.

You may find this hard to believe but last Saturday Haley was taking marks as if he was 200cms. No wrestling, no hands in the back, just jumping for the ball.

Let's hope he can keep it up.

I noticed this too Mr R, and it was bloody good to see. I suspect his free reign around the ground meant he was on the move alot more, getting the pill without a gorilla hanging off him, and able to have an uninhibited run at the marking contest so he can take a decent leap. He looked MUCH better as a mobile roaming ruckman who dropped forward, than he does as a hat rack at FF without confidence.

Some nice points there BR. I personally would love to see Edwards in the square, Hanson at CHF.

Some say he is to small for a key forward, I personally do not believe height is critical for a leading FF. John Coleman anyone? Short and light on weight as well. One of the greatest of all time, famous for high marking. Height is not critical to Azza's game, marking the ball within close range to goal is.

As pointed out by BR, we have not played Azza as a FF. He has had to play other roles because we have persisted with Hale as a FF for years now. I would love to see Edwards given the nod, I also believe he would generate consistent shots on goal and offer good value.

I'm not sure which aspect of the Edwards comparison to John Coleman to start with, so I'll probably just leave it alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some say he is to small for a key forward, I personally do not believe height is critical for a leading FF. John Coleman anyone? Short and light on weight as well. One of the greatest of all time, famous for high marking. Height is not critical to Azza's game, marking the ball within close range to goal is.

The population in general was significantly shorter back then so Coleman was probably average for a FF. Even so I would like to see what he has got at AFL level in the FF role. Clear space in the 50 and let him lead. Is strong for his size, big leap, strong hands and he has increased his fitness base to now apply really good defensive pressure. At worst if played deep he requires some serious defending when the ball gets pumped in long. Not too many defenders would be playing in front of him and going third man up at other contests if there is a high ball coming in for fear of being in a Hungry Jacks or a Toyota commercial for all the wrong reasons.

I'm not sure which aspect of the Edwards comparison to John Coleman to start with, so I'll probably just leave it alone.

Coleman was mentioned to prove that you don't have to be 6 foot 4 and weigh 95kg to be good at playing FF.

There wasn't any comparison between Edwards and Coleman made except in terms of height, so yeah........ probably a good idea to just leave it alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back