VFL Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
"Robbie Tarrant was rock-solid in defence for Werribee on Saturday but his best on ground performance wasn’t enough to..."

Read more @ http://bit.ly/aheiEb

"North Melbourne’s Aaron Edwards has spearheaded a potent North Ballarat forward line to give the reigning VFL premier its ninth win of the season..."

Read more @ http://bit.ly/bcGQk0

Who do we think should come in (if any) and who should they replace and why?

Well I don't like to name names as to who should be dropped, but obviously if fit Nathan Grima must come back to replace Jack.

I think Azza deserves to be recalled. I think he was most unlucky to be dropped in the first place as he had been pretty close to our best forward up until he was dropped. Not sure who should make way for him though.

Agree with those Horace.

Great to see Tarrant named in the bests. Would like to see him get a run in the 1's but would want a few solid performances at Werribee before promotion.

Getting on to last chances for Azza....

We could do with another midfielder but no one is jumping out at the moment.

Why did you throw up Tazzas name, is Grima not available?

Azza is worth a spot if he is played deep.

Grima for Ziebell
Petrie or Azza for Warren

Play Wright up forward.

I've been impressed with what I have seen from Robbie when he has played for us at Werribee in defence.

I think it could be the making of him as a player and he could develop into a really solid defender like his brother has at Fremantle.

I don't know why we don't play Robbie as a third tall forward.

He at least gives us another option, we are playing 2 big men short in defence and 1 big man short up forward.

People bag the shit out of our talls who aren't super effective but I could go through our team against Geelong and find a number of small/mediums who didn't really do a whole lot either yet they get game after game.

Our lack of structure hurts is big time against the better sides, we can beat crap sides with 1 key position forward and 1 key position defender, it isn't going to cut the mustard against decent sides.

Would rather give Tarrant a go in defense, he plays it better so why put him in the forward line? If this kid makes the step up in class he could be anything, exciting times indeed.

Would rather give Tarrant a go in defense, he plays it better so why put him in the forward line? If this kid makes the step up in class he could be anything, exciting times indeed.

Couldn't agree with you more, if playing in defence seems like look more confident and play well there's absolutely no reasn why he shouldn't. :thumbsu:

I don't know why we don't play Robbie as a third tall forward.

For starters, we'd need a second tall forward in the team before Robbie could be considered a third tall forward. But other than that, Robbie hasn't produced results at VFL level as a forward, hence his move to defence. He will hopefully make the transition to the forward line eventually just as Big Gus has done.

For starters, we'd need a second tall forward in the team before Robbie could be considered a third tall forward. But other than that, Robbie hasn't produced results at VFL level as a forward, hence his move to defence. He will hopefully make the transition to the forward line eventually just as Big Gus has done.

I'm just as happy to see him develop in to an AFL quality defender.

We need a second banana for Grima and Pratt isn't getting any younger.

Good to Hear Robbie got in the bests. I dont really care where he is playing as long as his development is coming along. Its his first season back, and times needs to be taken so that he has the confidence in his body again. I have no doubt he will eventually make it as a forward. Another pre-season and he will be in our side.

We all know Azza tore it up, how about the others?

Leigh Harding’s (31 possessions, 10 tackles, 10 marks, 9 inside 50’s) intent was also undeniable and he would have been best on ground had Edwards not been on song. Harding provided an extreme amount of run for the visiting team across half back and around the stoppages. His tackling was fierce and attack on the ball was superb. He also troubled the scorers with two goals and continued his stellar form in the VFL and again looked a class above the rest.

That is pretty hard to ignore, but why does he go missing this season when he steps up?

Jesus, I'd be happy if he could give us half of that in an AFL match.

In his first game back from a broken wrist, Luke Delaney (9 possessions, 5 spoils) was very solid in defence and had plenty of tall opponents in Cameron Wood and Josh Fraser to contend with.

This kid looks solid. Goes hard. Still probably 12 months away.

He was joined by Josh Smith (26 possessions, 15 marks, 3 spoils) who has shown a lot since being asked to play a role down back.

That is a phenomenal effort from a CHB.

How much longer can we ignore this bloke?

Surely, he should get a crack in the ones?

David Hale (19 possessions, 9 marks, 15 hit-outs) spent time forward and also in the ruck also facing Wood and Fraser at times. He had several opportunities to score but inaccurate kicking let him down. He was eventually thrown down back to fill a hole and played an important role as Collingwood attempted to make a late charge.

Good. He's growing with confidence now that he's moving around the ground.

Corey Jones (24 possessions, 6 tackles, 5 goals) was lively early up forward and moved onto the ball late in the game. But that didn’t stop the veteran from hitting the scoreboard after he roved a pack in the final term and booted his fourth goal. His fifth came several minutes later after consecutive fifty metre penalties which saw him advance to the goal square.

This must be his 4th such game on the trot. He has kicked the door to splinters.

Marcus White (15 possessions) toiled hard and Brayden Norris (17 possessions, 5 tackles) also fought out a good game on the ball and the wing.

Solid.

Gavin Urquhart (15 possessions) was relatively quiet after being dropped from the North Melbourne side during the week

Average, but he showed a little bit. Still well off the pace.

while Warren Benjamin (10 possessions) only managed to collect a handful of possessions.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to have my doubts about this kid. A hard worker and a good club person by all reports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That game by Smith is very interesting.

Perhaps there is a spot for him at CHB/FB.

Turtle tore that game to shreds by the look of it, I would not be upset if he was promoted this week depending on how a few players pull up.

Bring back Jones. He is 100x the player edwards will ever be. What does the bloke have to do, kick 20 in a game and have 50 disposals?

I think Azza deserves to be recalled. I think he was most unlucky to be dropped in the first place as he had been pretty close to our best forward up until he was dropped. Not sure who should make way for him though.

I agree, and like Brad Roo said, I would also like to see him played deep.

I agree, and like Brad Roo said, I would also like to see him played deep.

Yeah Horace is spot on, and Brad clearly understands that he is best suited in that thing we call the 'goal square'.

He was more than serviceable IMO when playing up the ground this year as well. He is in our best 22.

If they decide to give Edwards another go, then I agree he should be played deep.

His possesions are tied into his marking (which we all know is very strong). If he can pluck 5-8+ marks a game then hes going to get 5-8+ shots on goal.

Yep hes a one trick pony, but if hes on song then I can definitely see him kicking a bag some weeks. He also has that ability to make something out of nothing which very few of our forwards can lay claim to.

Love reading the reports.:thumbsu:

I didn't realise Robbie was only 19. He seems to have been injured for years.

If he's playing well in defence, play him in defence. Like with Hansen history may repeat.

In regard to Azza, I'm sure I heard the commentators mention that he was a great FF at VFL level, but is too small to take it to the next level without other strings to his bow, (or am I dreaming)?

PS I thought he played a great game.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back