Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

What they need to do is look after the fans.
As an example if a WA team makes GF as highest qualified then the AFL should do everything in their power to get 50k WA fans to the game.
I agree, with more members of competing clubs getting access.

They should abolish AFL members and give that back to competing clubs.

AFL members is basically a Victorian membership, that actually competes with the Victorian clubs.

Ie some Pies fans choose to become an AFL member (with Pie club support) because it is better value than a Pies membership, and they are still counted as a Pie member.

If no AFL members, that would enable more members of the actual competing clubs to get access to a cost price GF ticket instead of Victorian fans who support other teams but are "gold AFL" members.

Na, Port aren't forcing other clubs to play them in Bali yet.

Pies are doing our bit to even up "travel", adding in the impost of an international flight and many nights sleeping in hotels during the season.

You are welcome.
Ok so nothing to affect their recovery after a game then?

Got it.

It's not me who's being thick here, I've already acknowledged that Vic teams are always going to get more coverage because there's simply more of them.

You're either intentionally ignoring my point, or lack the intelligence to comprehend it.

You've also used a terrible example, because my point it that Fox is a national broadcaster, and WCE have at least as many supporters as Collingwood do.

Most don't bother to turn into their shows though, because they know any coverage won't be favourable, or they'll just spend an entire segment on WCE discussing which Vic club Harley should end up at.

Imagine how many more would tune in if the 5 minutes of airtime they gave them per week was actually interesting to watch?

It's not just about supporters of the individual clubs; it's the interest of non-supporters of that club as well. THe reality is that the biggest rivals are your neighbours. So Carlton supporters, Essendone supporters, etc are more interested in a Pies story than a WCE story. Pies and Carlton basically engage more interest in the biggest market therefore the media gives them more time. It's a positive and a negative, as the negative stories about the Pies also go gangbusters and get a heap of hits.

Personally, I don't watch any of the shows except the crap in the middle or straight after a game.

Ok so nothing to affect their recovery after a game then?

Got it.
LOL. You do get that the away disadvantage is for the actual away game!

WC still enjoy a home ground advantage the week after being away, that is when compromised recovery would potentially come into play....but it doesn't show up in numbers.

And importantly, there is no recovery after a grand final, so you must be fine with the GF being in Melbourne as no impact to recovery.

I agree, with more members of competing clubs getting access.

They should abolish AFL members and give that back to competing clubs.

AFL members is basically a Victorian membership, that actually competes with the Victorian clubs.

Ie some Pies fans choose to become an AFL member (with Pie club support) because it is better value than a Pies membership, and they are still counted as a Pie member.

If no AFL members, that would enable more members of the actual competing clubs to get access to a cost price GF ticket instead of Victorian fans who support other teams but are "gold AFL" members.

Maybe only AFL members if the competing clubs get GF tickets? Could that work? If as you say you nominate your club you support then that would not be difficult to do.
I also don’t think the other 16 non competing clubs should get anymore than 100 tickets per club. These clubs are national clubs and don’t need 1000 tickets each to make into corporate tickets do their club makes money. That should be removed .
With that and only AFL member participating clubs allowed titters opens up possibly 40k tickets to go to competing clubs.

How about we start with the media taking some accountability for their contribution to the bias by ceasing the use of the word 'interstate' to describe any team that's not based in Victoria. This is supposed to be a national league; not Victoria and the rest. It's been the AUSTRALIAN Football League for more than three decades now - the Victorian Football League died in 1990. Stop romanticising the past so much and show a little professionalism in the way you report.

That's step one in removing the Vic bias and a very easy one to implement.
How did the media respond to your request?

I think most of us are less concerned with what the AFL does and more sick of the constant bias from the Vic media, who masquerade as 'national'.

I mean, the midweek tackle just had a segment on how Melbourne were 'hard done' by because they 'should' have Harley Reid but were unable to offer picks 2 years in advance.

Newsflash, they could've offered up a player instead.

Then Reid was on Talking Footy the other week and they spent half the time telling him he was homesick(despite him saying he never has been) and how great he'd look playing for Geelong.

They'd lose their shit if a 'National' show broadcast from Perth spent 10 minutes trying to convince Patrick Cripps to move back to WA, for instance.
So media bias then not vic bias.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's because the 'National' media is incredibly biased towards Vic teams/players.

That's absolutely fine if it's local media but when it's broadcast nationally, for a national audience, it's very much an issue.

Go and look at how contentious free kicks and potential reportable offences are discussed during games, for instance.

You won't hear much if a Vic club/player is the beneficiary of it but it'll be major news all week if it's the opposite.

They will literally campaign to get big name Vic players off reportable offences(unless blatant) during games but endlessly dissect non-Vic team's players and talk about how they should be getting multiple weeks for the same offence.

They do the same for free kicks. Will laugh it off it a Vic team's player gets away with something and froth at the mouth and spend half the HT break complaining about it if it's the non-Vic team.

It's nauseating.
Use your remote then.

National AFL media bias towards Vics, yes.
Probably coz it's the biggest market, which is stupid, coz most in that market aren't dumb enough to fall for it. Maybe call up the media and put in a request.

So if the national media would shut, you'd be happy then and accept the league for all its faults and inequities?

Probably coz it's the biggest market, which is stupid, coz most in that market aren't dumb enough to fall for it. Maybe call up the media and put in a request.

So if the national media would shut, you'd be happy then and accept the league for all its faults and inequities?
All those faults and inequities would disappear pretty quickly if there weren't media and gambling companies to try and appease.

So the NATIONAL AFL site and NATIONAL media are discussing state if origin again,

Even came up with who would be in the teams.

The Vics I must say do have a very strong outfit. Very impressive.

Now the other state teams in comparison? Um. Oh? Well......

Oh wait........they didnt bother? Just lumped every other state into an Allies team.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Ken Jeong GIF by The Masked Singer
Not sure if you know or not, but I'm pretty sure no one on this thread works for the afl media.

Maybe only AFL members if the competing clubs get GF tickets?
That wouldn't fix equality, as hardly any non-vic fans choose to become AFL members over their own club.

Collingwood have the most AFL members, something like 12-15k. WC would have under 1k.

Just blow it up, tis a relic from the old Waverley/VFL park.

Give all membership money directly to the clubs, less to go to the AFL distribution pool (Pies will be strengthed, so yes a vested interest!).

If that's what you believe, then I'm afraid you don't understand what's being discussed at all.
No I am very aware, as I actually get what makes up home ground advantage and the away ground disadvantage.

Teams that have a home ground advantage are advantaged.

WC wowsers try to sook about their "travel burden" but it isn't as important as actual home ground advantage.

And when pointed out that other clubs travel by choice, you then flounder as it isn't really that much of an impost.

No I am very aware, as I actually get what makes up home ground advantage and the away ground disadvantage.

WC wowsers try to sook about their "travel burden" but it isn't as important as actual home ground advantage.

And when pointed out that other clubs travel by choice, you then flounder as it isn't really that much of an impost.
Stop being a sook about the HG thing, that's not what I've even been talking about.

Now you're just being a complete wowser.

All those faults and inequities would disappear pretty quickly if there weren't media and gambling companies to try and appease.
:confusedv1: The inequities and faults aren't because gambling companies have a gun to HQ's head, they're because the largest market, like more than half of it is centred in Victoria.

So I ask again, if the media shut up, would you be happy with the league the way it is?

Hey, but he has told us before about how bad travel is, so and so told him, so there is your proof.

I think cancer is proof too, but that's only if you fly high.
Lack of 300 game players is proof also.

There's lot's of proof there.

:confusedv1: The inequities and faults aren't because gambling companies have a gun to HQ's head, they're because the largest market, like more than half of it is centred in Victoria.

So I ask again, if the media shut up, would you be happy with the league the way it is?

No, of course not.

Also, if Victorian supporters are going to unsub from Fox, simply because a 2 minute segment about WCE didn't include the hosts fellating themselves over Reid going to Geelong, then you people are way bigger bandwagoners than I thought.

Hey, but he has told us before about how bad travel is, so and so told him, so there is your proof.

I think cancer is proof too, but that's only if you fly high.
Lack of 300 game players is proof also.

There's lot's of proof there.
Every time I read something you post, I feel myself becoming dumber.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back