Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah good point.

I also think if the Rampe one was the other way around, Butters? would have got 4 weeks.

The AFL just hate Port.
take it with a grain of salt, as i can’t remember where i read it, but the swans have had the lowest number of weeks missed through suspension in the last few years, something like 12 total across all their players? they’re definitely looked at with a softer perspective than all the other clubs

I agree that article can be interpreted as meaning all NGAs are now available to be matched.

As mentioned before, there are a few news articles since that explainer referring to the old metropolitan exclusion, but hopefully they are just a mistake or using outdated information.

It wasn't a metropolitan exclusion as such - Perth and Adelaide just weren't part of the NGA zones when they were first brought in.

take it with a grain of salt, as i can’t remember where i read it, but the swans have had the lowest number of weeks missed through suspension in the last few years, something like 12 total across all their players? they’re definitely looked at with a softer perspective than all the other clubs
I seriously can't understand why people want players rubbed out all the time.

Fair enough if they commit a dog act or they are playing your team the next week, I can understand, but Danger won't be playing next week if he's rubbed out or not, it wasn't a dog act so why does it matter?

I seriously can't understand why people want players rubbed out all the time.

Fair enough if they commit a dog act or they are playing your team the next week, I can understand, but Danger won't be playing next week if he's rubbed out or not, it wasn't a dog act so why does it matter?
to some i think it’s more about retribution for the potential injury as opposed to a punishment for breaking a rule.

They've fixed that for you - The 2 WA teams now have unlimited access to all the Aboriginal kids out of WA and WCE have now been around long enough to have equal footing in terms of Father Son.
a somewhat disingenuous comment given ALL clubs have indigenous zones including EVERY Victorian club. Look up the maps available on the AFL website. I know the WCE, through its Naitanui Academy, spend a lot of time and money and travel widely to extremely remote communities to identify indigenous talent for little return, but still they do it! And it isn't limited to indigenous kids but all multicultural and ethnic groups who are under represented in the AFL system. The Naitanui Academy doesn’t just focus on footy but provides education and mentors its kids in life skills. The kids can be be anywhere from 11 - 18. The WCE have also had through the Academy a separate program that specifically prepares kids for their draft year even knowing that they had little chance of actually recruiting the kids. I'm not sure other clubs NGA academies do as much work in their remote communities as WCE and FD. For example, Ugle-Hagen was a year 10 student at Scotch College when identified by WB, ie: he was already in the regular talent pathway when they became aware of him, but because he was from their Warnambool area, he became a WB NGA Academy player. At that time, it meant WB could match for him.
My point is, if you think WCE and FD are getting something for nothing or an unfair advantage through their academies then you are wrong. As Ugle-Hagen himself said when questioned on clubs once again having full access to their academy players "it's a good thing for it to be back. It gives the opportunity to others like I got ? to go to a club that's put time and effort into the player"

a somewhat disingenuous comment given ALL clubs have indigenous zones including EVERY Victorian club. Look up the maps available on the AFL website. I know the WCE, through its Naitanui Academy, spend a lot of time and money and travel widely to extremely remote communities to identify indigenous talent for little return, but still they do it! And it isn't limited to indigenous kids but all multicultural and ethnic groups who are under represented in the AFL system. The Naitanui Academy doesn’t just focus on footy but provides education and mentors its kids in life skills. The kids can be be anywhere from 11 - 18. The WCE have also had through the Academy a separate program that specifically prepares kids for their draft year even knowing that they had little chance of actually recruiting the kids. I'm not sure other clubs NGA academies do as much work in their remote communities as WCE and FD. For example, Ugle-Hagen was a year 10 student at Scotch College when identified by WB, ie: he was already in the regular talent pathway when they became aware of him, but because he was from their Warnambool area, he became a WB NGA Academy player. At that time, it meant WB could match for him.
My point is, if you think WCE and FD are getting something for nothing or an unfair advantage through their academies then you are wrong. As Ugle-Hagen himself said when questioned on clubs once again having full access to their academy players "it's a good thing for it to be back. It gives the opportunity to others like I got ? to go to a club that's put time and effort into the player"

Disingenuous seems to be word of the year and is regularly used inaccurately.

I'm certainly not suggesting that WCE won't do some great work in terms of development, quite the opposite. They're a wealthy and usually smart club and it's to their advantage to have strong academies that effectively develop players. I'm suggesting that not all NGA zones are equal and the WA teams now have much better zones more likely to produce top footballers than the Vic clubs do and that the players from them will still come at a discount.

In a thread devoted to vicbias, with lots of claims that the AFL tilts everything to Vic, I think it's significant that Northern teams and now WA teams have been handed the recruiting advantage of much stronger academy cohorts to work with. And it's not only in terms of Aboriginal kids in the case of WA teams; it's also a much higher number of migrant families within their zones than the Vic clubs have.

I'm certainly not against the concept of NGA academies developing players from minority groups, just pointing at an area of pretty clear advantage - which will probably end up being quite a big one.

But keep choogling Choogler.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back