Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Then one must ask what actually is the point of the National league? If it solely about market forces as you say and that market is Victoria then what’s the point of it all. The only clubs that will ever grow will be Victorian.
What a pointless exercise the whole league is.
I was talking about public holiday matches in particular which make up about 2% of all matches played.

I just had a look at all the Thursday night and Friday night matches to look at the proportion of vic teams to non-vic teams in the two marquee timeslots.

There were 33 non-vic teams scheduled on Thursday and Friday night and 39 Victorian sides from 36 matches. (72 teams total)

So 39-33 in favour of the Victorian teams.

Vic teams make up 55.55% of teams in the AFL and they make up 54.16% of teams on Thursday and Friday nights.

So non-vic teams are ever-so-slightly over represented in marquee timeslots.

Is that bias?

I was talking about public holiday matches in particular which make up about 2% of all matches played.

I just had a look at all the Thursday night and Friday night matches to look at the proportion of vic teams to non-vic teams in the two marquee timeslots.

There were 33 non-vic teams scheduled on Thursday and Friday night and 39 Victorian sides from 36 matches. (72 teams total)

So 39-33 in favour of the Victorian teams.

Vic teams make up 55.55% of teams in the AFL and they make up 54.16% of teams on Thursday and Friday nights.

So non-vic teams are ever-so-slightly over represented in marquee timeslots.

Is that bias?

I was talking about the eve matches.
Kings birthday eve invented this year
And Anzac Day ever invented a few years back. Both straight to Victorian teams.

Yeah the crowd another factor.

If the crowd isn't 90%+ going for one team, the crowd advantage doesnt exist.
I await the day of a Suns vs Magpies elim final at Gold coast. 25,000 people rocking up.

Now.... I still predict the cats or dogs or Carlton or Hawks to win the flag from here....

I was talking about the eve matches.
Kings birthday eve invented this year
And Anzac Day ever invented a few years back. Both straight to Victorian teams.

Of course they go to Victorian teams. They are public holiday matches (playing on the “eve” generates the 25% increase in attendance that you get for a public holiday) and as i said earlier, the only benefit to these matches is when two local teams are playing to make the most of the expected bigger crowd. You don’t get that if a non-Victorian teams plays a Victorian team because you only get the benefit of one supporter base.

I await the day of a Suns vs Magpies elim final at Gold coast. 25,000 people rocking up.
Finals both teams get access, so would get 30-40% Pies fans there.

That is a big factor in Pies great away record, not as daunting when have active support in the ground.
Now.... I still predict the cats or dogs or Carlton or Hawks to win the flag from here....
Port are meh
Lions no hope to win 3 finals away from their home
Fingers crossed the Giants can get it done

Finals both teams get access, so would get 30-40% Pies fans there.

That is a big factor in Pies great away record, not as daunting when have active support in the ground.

Port are meh
Lions no hope to win 3 finals away from their home
Fingers crossed the Giants can get it done
Can you tolerate the swans winning the 2024 flag?

Have to go with the biggest ground.
Cant lock fans out.
Need the gate revenue to help prop up minnows.

All the same excuses for an MCG GF it seems.
Exactly.

It has always been about $$, if it was fairness you just play all teams home and away and the winner is the team who tops the table.

Port get enough advantages in H&A and week1-3 of finals, they can be on the erong side of the ledger for week4 of finals.

I suspect a bit of an exaggeration at play there, similar to the label VicBias itself. The bias is towards the Big Vic clubs like Collingwood. And they and their supporters know it too, hence their determination to dominate the thread to argue there's nothing to see here, move along.
No exaggeration. You go back and check articles from 2005-06. The AFL media ramped up the South Melbourne connection massively during that time.

It was less there in 2012, 2016 and 2022. But they were playing against Victorian teams then. That time we heard about Sydney making the Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect a bit of an exaggeration at play there, similar to the label VicBias itself. The bias is towards the Big Vic clubs like Collingwood. And they and their supporters know it too, hence their determination to dominate the thread to argue there's nothing to see here, move along.
Definitely fixturing biasfor the big Vic clubs. Not sure how it helps you win games. Although it should lead to financial benefit in the long run. WCE and Freo get that same financial advantage in a different way - by there only being 2 licences for such a big footy market - something that those clubs are opposed to changing - even though it's the logical way to get to 20 clubs - a bit of WA bias for the AFL to not just say **** off, we're giving another WA licence.

Agreed, Not all of us
Yep, another Pie who realises that of all Melbourne based clubs it is the Pies who have it the best.

The point being that the lazy VICBias sook is flawed, as it is the small Melbourne / Marvel tenants who have it worse off. Trying to group North, WB, Carl with Collingwood or Geelong is moronic, but that is what the "ViCBias" wowsers do.

The main sooking really is all about poor SA/WA fans who cant just walk to their GF anymore. It is unfair that the biggest game of the year, their GF, aint in their backyard anymore and it still is for VFL fans.

Yep, another Pie who realises that of all Melbourne based clubs it is the Pies who have it the best.

The point being that the lazy VICBias sook is flawed, as it is the small Melbourne / Marvel tenants who have it worse off. Trying to group North, WB, Carl with Collingwood or Geelong is moronic, but that is what the "ViCBias" wowsers do.

The main sooking really is all about poor SA/WA fans who cant just walk to their GF anymore. It is unfair that the biggest game of the year, their GF, aint in their backyard anymore and it still is for VFL fans.
But they can walk to their gf (or don't have to fly), it's the competition they dumped like a toxic ex for the one they incessantly complain about now. And they're still both going now, top tier competitions.

I keep suggesting, if they hate the expanded VFL so much then just vote with their feet and remotes, but they don't, they seem to enjoy the misery and incessantly whine, whine, whine.

Yep you are right . You are always correct lol.

Magpies should have all their home and away games at the MCG. Actually and have one away game at Docklands LoL.

You need a plane or helicopter to fly from the MCG to Docklands lol

The Vic media absolutely try to control the narrative around trade period and try to fleece the 'interstate' clubs. 6 and 20 for Rioli is ludicrous. He will be 28 next season, he's not an elite player and he's a half back. He wants out and his team will be basket case for the foreseeable future.

Honestly if he was a Sun, Giant or Lion with the same circumstances they'd be saying a second round pick would be a fair price.

The Vic media absolutely try to control the narrative around trade period and try to fleece the 'interstate' clubs. 6 and 20 for Rioli is ludicrous. He will be 28 next season, he's not an elite player and he's a half back. He wants out and his team will be basket case for the foreseeable future.

Honestly if he was a Sun, Giant or Lion with the same circumstances they'd be saying a second round pick would be a fair price.
Have a look at the way they report it compared to Dan Houston.

Here its Gold Coast will need to give up two first round picks for Rioli.

But with two time All Australian Dan Houston, its "Port are asking for two first round picks... and Melbourne based club are offering"

Always to put the impression that Port is being overly demanding. And that the lesser offer from the Victorian club should be considered. But with Rioli its straight up "two first rounders is the cost".

According to Ralph (a Richmond stooge, to be fair), the pick the Eagles receive for Barrass should simply be flipped to the Tigers for Baker, as if they are the same value.
Agree.

Baker is 3 years younger, actually gets on the park (didn't miss a game in 2021-23) and was top6 in Richmond BnF for last 4 years in addition to being AFL players most courageous player in 2022 and Richmond's vice-captain.

Barrass will be 29 in off-season, is always injured, he has never managed 20 games in any season.

Pretty clear would expect greater output from Baker going forward, so his value should be higher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back