Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
you were not crying about this in 97 and 98.

I don't know what you expect? a grand final in a 50k seated stadium in a retirement village city.

It is what it is. Kick more goals than the opposition in the best stadium in the country and stop crying.

Our best chance was when the GF was at the Gabba, we blew it. Not good enough bad luck, play on.

Don't act like 60% of the crowd at a grand final are actually football fans. Largely corporates who would spend more time off their heads than watching the game.

The answer is yes, and we’re still five home games short of what Victorian clubs get year in year out.

Victorian clubs don't get 18 home games sorry. The most some clubs get at the same ground is 14-16 (Richmond and Collingwood), and supporters of the other Victoria clubs don't appreciate that they do.

The Crows and Port get 13 games at the same ground now (assuming two showdowns).

Last edited:
Victorian clubs don't get 18 home games sorry. The most some clubs get at the same ground is 14-16 (Richmond and Collingwood), and supporters of the other Victoria clubs don't appreciate that they do.

The Crows and Port get 13 games at the same ground now (assuming two showdowns).
Haha ok, so for all the bleating from the Vic-Centric media about gather round in SA we are still minimum 1-3 games short. Plus however many other with a frankly perilous journey down Flinders Street to Docklands.

Haha ok, so for all the bleating from the Vic-Centric media about gather round in SA we are still minimum 1-3 games short. Plus however many other with a frankly perilous journey down Flinders Street to Docklands.

1-3 games short of Richmond and Collingwood. There are 8 other Victorian teams. I understand it is very hard for those from SA to differentiate Victorians though.

A home ground is a home ground; a different ground is a different ground. Again this new idea may take some time to settle in.

Ummm.
No Victorian clubs get to play all their home games at their home ground. Yet another unsporting advantage your club gets.
For example, Richmond get 13 games at the G, 4 with a home state advantage. Crows get 13 at AO. 11 with a home state advantage.
Despite this massive advantage, you feel so inferior to Melbournians that you demand even more 😂

How pathetic. Don't you feel embarrassed?

Not sure if it is a Vic Bias thing or not but compared to Diacos (and I admit Diacos is a great player) Gulden is criminally under talked about. They are only 6 months apart in age and both have very similar outputs, both of them regularly being the best player in their respective teams and often the best player on the ground but it feels like only one of them is fawned over in the media and it isn't Gulden. I can't help but wonder if Gulden played for Essendon, Richmond or Geelong if he would be talked about a lot more.

Not sure if it is a Vic Bias thing or not but compared to Diacos (and I admit Diacos is a great player) Gulden is criminally under talked about. They are only 6 months apart in age and both have very similar outputs, both of them regularly being the best player in their respective teams and often the best player on the ground but it feels like only one of them is fawned over in the media and it isn't Gulden. I can't help but wonder if Gulden played for Essendon, Richmond or Geelong if he would be talked about a lot more.
Media bias is definitely a thing. Most of the Audience is in Melbourne so you have to lean into that to a certain degree.

But also Gulden doesn't consistently put in match winning performances. If Swans were top of the ladder he'd be talked about way more.

You'd expect Melbourne based media to focus more on Melbourne clubs, just like South Australia media, for example, focuses on Port and Adelaide. It's not a malevolent conspiracy.
I don't think there's evidence that national Media, when it is focusing individual clubs, gives Victorian based clubs any more attention than interstate clubs. Although I do concede that they don't spread their time equally across all states, simply because over 1/2 the clubs are Victorian biassed. If they gave equal time to all states, then individual clubs in each non Vic state would effectively get 450% more coverage than individual clubs in Victoria.

Even if they were getting 450% more coverage, I'd still expect the entitled supporters of interstate clubs to continue their infernal whinging about how unbearably unfair it all is.

The flip side of that is that Sydney attracts players who want to play football but not be recognised everywhere they go. That's a significant selling point of your club that has netted you big trades.

You'd expect Melbourne based media to focus more on Melbourne clubs, just like South Australia media, for example, focuses on Port and Adelaide. It's not a malevolent conspiracy.
I don't think there's evidence that national Media, when it is focusing individual clubs, gives Victorian based clubs any more attention than interstate clubs. Although I do concede that they don't spread their time equally across all states, simply because over 1/2 the clubs are Victorian biassed. If they gave equal time to all states, then individual clubs in each non Vic state would effectively get 450% more coverage than individual clubs in Victoria.

Even if they were getting 450% more coverage, I'd still expect the entitled supporters of interstate clubs to continue their infernal whinging about how unbearably unfair it all is.
I'm not sure it's the media bias people are worried about.

It might be that performance yesterday from a few blokes in yellow that might raise a few questions.

Haha! So we play an 13 games in SA for a few seasons and you’re outraged, but Victorian clubs play 18 or so in their home state year in year out and there’s no problems.
So "home state" has become the point of reference now? Not even home city is suddenly considered advantageous?

Imagine the outcry there must be amongst EPL fans of non-London clubs then knowing that 7 of the 20 clubs are London-based and don't have to leave their home city for 25 of their 38 fixtured matches, compared to only 19 or 20 for the non-London clubs.

If you cannot see that there is a greater home ground advantage for the Lions playing the Bulldogs at the Gabba than there is for the Tigers playing the Bulldogs at Marvel then there's not really much point continuing this thread. Not that there's been that much point to the last 150 or so pages.

Not sure it is vicbias thing, I think it is that his surname is not Daicos and he doesn't play for Collingwood. Also Sydney have a number of very promising young players so they do tend to be talked about in a group. Errol does get some attention but as you say perhaps not to the level that his performance warrants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it looks like the noise of affirmation down at Geelong was up there with WA and Optus on the weekend.

One ref alone paid Geelong 15 frees of the 31 frees paid against Port.

Apart from Kane going into bat for his old side it will be interesting how much air time this gets this week. And who laughs it off as nothing to worry about.

So it looks like the noise of affirmation down at Geelong was up there with WA and Optus on the weekend.

Apart from Kane going into bat for his old side it will be interesting how much air time this gets this week. And who laughs it off as nothing to worry about.
Like Troy Pannells 16 V the crows it'll be all clear from East Gambier.

Funny how we never hear of 1 umpire giving those numbers to non Vic clubs

Nah, they're too busy trying to claim WCE tanked vs Essendon, despite coming from 30 points down to snatch the lead, 2 clear frees to Long & Allen going unrewarded at the top of the goal square and an umpire throwing the ball directly to an Essendon player at a stoppage for Langford to kick the winning goal.

But yeah, WCE tanking....

:rolleyes:

Like Troy Pannells 16 V the crows it'll be all clear from East Gambier.

Funny how we never hear of 1 umpire giving those numbers to non Vic clubs

The last umpire who did was run out of town by Eddie and his media mates.

Had to lol at Buckley saying he never called the umpiring department. Why would he Eddie sorted all that all so no need hey Bucks?

Ummm.
No Victorian clubs get to play all their home games at their home ground. Yet another unsporting advantage your club gets.
For example, Richmond get 13 games at the G, 4 with a home state advantage. Crows get 13 at AO. 11 with a home state advantage.
Despite this massive advantage, you feel so inferior to Melbournians that you demand even more 😂

Conveniently ALWAYS LEAVING the games away out of the equation plus flying.

Ummm.

I wonder if people like this are consciously aware of their lack of brain-cells?

Plus the fact that the most important game of the year is always in Victoria. A non-Victorian team could win every home and away game of the season, and then win every finals game, they could do everything right and the Grand Final would still be played in Victoria.

Oh you mean when a Melbourne based club plays a "home" game in a different state and has to fly to get to it...yet still enjoys a home advantage?

The poor WA wowsers inane position is travel and playing in another state doesnt matter if you are the "home" team.

Obvious solution is obvious, just always list the WA teams as the "home" team for the GF...then they get the same "home advantage" Melbourne teams enjoy during H&A when flying and playing in a different state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back