Review vs Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think many people would agree with me but my favourite passage of play was one not where were were kicking bags or anything.

It was the last 15 minutes of the 1st quarter where our structure and positioning was so brilliant that we just locked the ball inside our forward half pretty much that entire period. If you discount the fact we got a goal right at the end of the quarter, we only got about 1 goal in a 10-15 minute period there, but the whole structure and that was brilliant.

Our forward class and finesse and "finishing" still needs some work but we're already arguably the best team in the the league for, speaking broadly, "defensive" work whilst already inside our attacking half which encompasses all of tackling, pressure, structure and similar things. There were a dozen times in that first quarter where Adelaide simply didn't have any targets to kick to up the field (whilst still in their defensive half, because of a really good press/zone), nor could they use run and carry (we pressured them well so they couldn't get over the top), nor would long sideways switches work (plenty of times when they did switch, it was from 20 metres out from their defensive goal, not 40, and our zone shifted to the fat side really effectively meaning that they didn't have a player open). We either forced turnovers when they tried to hit up a target and we got a spoil in (and as soon as our finesse in front of goal improves, we'll convert those to goals more often), or after really good zone we forced them to kick to a pack. And not to a pack in the middle of the ground, one only 60-70m out. And that kicking to a pack may have come after we shut down an attempted switch across the ground.

And just as a side note, it might not come up on any stats sheets, but this is where players like Crameri and Grant are extremely valuable. Crameri's gut running means that he's really good for helping the zone shift over to the fat side when the other team decides to switch, whilst Grant's fast closing speed means that he eliminates targets.

And all of this you can directly attribute to a coach. Individual brilliance - that's a players skill. Stringer kicking those brilliant goals at the beginning of the 3rd wasn't Bev's doing, that you can attribute to Stringer himself. However structures, zones, pressure, the philosophy of a team, all similar things, that's entirely Bev's work and I salute him for that. What a massive improvement.
What a massive improvement over BM's "manly" contested ball one on one accountability approach.
The other thing is they are playing so much better as a team. You feel now, even if we get some injuries to great players, there is a team method and resilience that's going to go a long way to carry the day.
Long live the Bev and Bob show.

Hi all. Hope you don't mind me popping in. Crows fan but Dogs have always been my second team - only supported Crows when I came to Australia as they were local so never formed a real bond to a club. Really like the Dogs hence why I pop in so much. Great win today, much deserved. Just thought I'd give a little (which is nearly certain to become an essay) writeup on what I've noticed this year.

You guys are GWS's main rival to a dynasty in my eyes. The building blocks are there. The style of game and team based defense is able to cover some defensive short comings. An elite KPD would be a super recruit, as would a rebounding HB and a linebreaking & electric outside mid. Bontempelli is going to be the best player in the league; that's a given. He or Fyfe. His cleanliness and agility at ground level is obscene for a teenager as is his ability to spread and convert disputed ball into consolidated ball. By foot he's better than most inside mids, he reads the play super well and his marking is just elite. And that's for a kid. He's going to carry you to flags. MacRae is still improving but if he's to become the A grade ball user you need him to he needs to stop being so conservative by foot - none of this continual backwards chipping. Way too much elevation on many of his kicks too. Has the body and frame to be excellent inside and if he develops that he'll be unstoppable. Likewise needs some forward presence at his size and with his skill set. He's super important to where the club ends up as the genuine outside midfielder; players like him are the cream on top that turn top 4 sides into flag winners. Inside mids get you to finals. Outside mids give you the edge in them. Stringer too is going to be a superstar. We all knew he would be - but I'm now slowly converting to the belief that he should remain forward - he's the perfect foil to Boyd with his leading and ground level game and if complimented by a 3rd tall high half forward type it'd be a great setup. What Grant should be, but isn't, really. James Stewart of GWS should be lookinf for greater opportunity and would be a great list fit. With Bonts being elite and Libba coming back as well as Jong looking like a great bet and with Smith and Wallis to potentially impact, is there really a need for Stringer to move there? He'd be an explosive big bodied inside mid. But you're already sorted there and he's developing far better than expected forward.

Tom Boyd really is a massive gain. Just offers far more than any of the other blokes tried in that role. When not marking he's still having an influence. He's going to be some player. Really like the look of Bailey Dale and think he could add a new dimension to the half forwards and free up Dahl - who just keeps improving, even more. Jarrad Grant is a waste of talent. So much to like about him but just never pulls it together. He's worth persisting with but ideally loses his spot eventually. Structurally he's more important than he looks atm, IMO. JJ as a running back keeps improving too - having him on one flank with his attack is a massive get. Compliment him with an elite kick on the other flank and a lockdown small (Rourke Smith is your guy, here) and that defense looks so good. Could Webb be that kicker? I'm not sure; he's more of a midfielder for mine and while he's a good kick and certainly looks at home I don't think he's the long term answer.

Lin Jong is going to be some player. Started the game late and his year to year growth is incredible. Defensively there are shortcomings but experience fixes that with time. He's got the height and size to bullock his way on the inside and his composure and disposal under pressure is improving so much. Offers a marking threat with his height/leap which should see him hurt oppositions in future when dragging his man forward. Works so hard too. I reckon he's the missing link. I really think he's going to develop into an A grade *inside* midfielder. His size and athelticism/explosiveness is what's been missing from that midfield I reckon. I'm sure you're all seeing it too with him, but he's something special. Noticed him a few years ago and thought there's a little to work with but late last year in the VFL he was just super impressive.

Cordy's worth persisting with. He's never going to be a world beater but there's enough there to like. His previous mediocrity can be explained, IMO. Rucking is a bit of an art form. There's so much feel and touch involved; you've got to work your way in. Playing in a dual ruck setup means regular switches rendering a player unable to really work their way into the role. Cordy's almost always been playing 20-50% of games in the ruck; it's not enough to really get into the game so of course he's gonna look a little rubbish. Blokes like Grundy and Gawn always struggle in dual ruck setups but when left alone all of a sudden they're top notch. I prefer Campbell as a player but Cordy has use - he's got excellent reflexes and is cleaner and more skilled. I wouldn't persist with him long term but he's handy depth. I'd be playing Campbell.

Blokes like Honeychurch, Hrovat and Hunter need to really impose themselves. With the list you're building there's limited space for players of their type and I reckon if they continue to be 15-30 players on the list they'll be replaced. They need to take the next step up within a year or two for mine. I think two of them will, but right now at their size and role there isn't space to carry mediocrity. With the rising inside mids at the club it's important Clay Smith makes a spot his own too or else he'll be overtaken. The key defensive stocks need some work. Jordan Roughead just isn't good enough, sorry lads, and Talia has too many defensive short comings. Ideally you gain a #1 defender and fast. That's the main aim, IMO. Other than that I really rate the footy Bevo has you playing. Covers the flaws in the 22 and improves upon the strengths. Chuck some line breakers in there and it'd run rampant regularly.

Good luck lads, hope you keep this form up. Happy to discuss anything I've said here; I enjoy it - and really like your club.
It's best to support your local team ... being part of that broader community.

We have more half backs available than we have had for a while - we will know more about them by the end of the year, but guys who will get a run through there also include Biggs and Prudden. Whether Webb can continue his form remains to be seen but he is certainly setting the bar.

I think Dogs supporters have a more optimistic view of Roughead than you do. He had a bung shoulder last year. And I reckon zone defence suits him better. Obviously another quality key defender would be fantastic, because Roughy could go forward and/or into the ruck, but we are happy with his progress.
Don't forget Hamling, too. I thought he was pretty impressive and creative in the pre season games. Might make a good forward, too and looked a smooth mover.

I think this worked well and we will see it more often now. Roughead usually plays on the 2nd tall who, in most teams, is the relief ruck so there is no reason why he can't give a chop out.

I'd give Ayce the job again next week.
Cordy's first goal was a beauty. It had a bit of mongrel determination about it... and Bont's waltz through the Crows defence in the goal square was pretty special too

What an F&$@#!g brilliant game, I found myself awe-struck at times.... I didn't think I yelled as much as I did until I woke up with no voice today. So many positives that have been mentioned already and spoken about on SEN, in the papers and in the office all day long... Man had we kicked straight and taken our half chances and played out the last qtr we would have won by 100 - 120 points....

I must admit I was worried going into the game, I didn't think we had the mid-field grunt to mix it in tight with the Crows, boy how stupid was I?? (please don't answer that)...

I've read so much about most of our players but I'm interested to hear what others thought of Hrovat's game? Was it me or was he slipping over and fumbling more than most?

Does anyone know when and what quarter Koby nailed that awesome tackle on the wing? I've been watching the replay, and i'm up to the last quarter, but could have sworn it was earlier than this :p

Something I noted in the 3rd Qtr (around the 14mins to go mark) was Picken running down the wing. He had a player whose name I can't recall, at 60mtrs but kicked long to the square where Boyd bought it to ground to the Dogs advantage.

I know Toyd's stats dont look great, but I got just as much satisfaction watching a player kick to the top of the square from 60mtrs where we had someone capable of providing a contest and making a backman accountable than a lot of the other flashy stuff that happened.

In years gone by, Picken would have "blazed away" to the top of the square to a backman who would have taken an uncontested mark.

He's close to career best football. He's using the ball better than he has in his career for mine. The leadership and experience from him and Bob just make the younger players down there better players.

Pressure is less in the backline and he will always be looking for an easy option to Murph or some other kicker if it is on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's hope last laugh is on Higgins and Cooney... leaving the Dogs "cuz they wanted to play in finals" and win a flag.

I don't think that was the reason for either... By all accounts Cooney left because we were looking more long term & he didn't fit in the plans, Higgins who knows but really needed a change of scenery. He'll play finals so at least he'll get half the wish

Reckon our basic handballing skills still need some work. Roughie missed Bonti in defence at the start of the 3rd which should have cost us a goal. Dal almost missed the ball completely in the last that should have been a certain goal.

Guys like koby and Jong still need to improve their handballing as well.

What an F&$@#!g brilliant game, I found myself awe-struck at times.... I didn't think I yelled as much as I did until I woke up with no voice today. So many positives that have been mentioned already and spoken about on SEN, in the papers and in the office all day long... Man had we kicked straight and taken our half chances and played out the last qtr we would have won by 100 - 120 points....

I must admit I was worried going into the game, I didn't think we had the mid-field grunt to mix it in tight with the Crows, boy how stupid was I?? (please don't answer that)...

I've read so much about most of our players but I'm interested to hear what others thought of Hrovat's game? Was it me or was he slipping over and fumbling more than most?

Hrovat made a couple of silly errors that made his game look worse than it could have. He was serviceable - just that others were terrific EVERYWHERE. He's been interrupted and will get better with more gametime. So will Smith. Scary for everyone else!

fantastic win..wont re-hash whats been said.

I thought it was MaCrae's best game for the club. He really earnt his possessions and his defensive side of his game was the best its been, 7 tackles. Every side has the link man type of player yet MaCrae showed he can do some hard stuff in close as well.

Every player did there bit.

Watching the replay with commentary, geez its embarrassing listening to Sandy Roberts. You can just hear him fumbling for the names of players and covering bombast and self important proclamations.

Watching the replay with commentary, geez its embarrassing listening to Sandy Roberts. You can just hear him fumbling for the names of players and covering bombast and self important proclamations.

He still better than 80% of AFL TV commentators. Give me him and Huddo over any other combination any day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review vs Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back