Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

18 players explicitly lied to ASADA in 2012 30 times.

Following on from this-

"But there are more serious sanctions that can be taken by ASADA, with a year in jail the listed penalty for providing ''false or misleading information or documents'' to a Commonwealth entity or person exercising powers under Commonwealth law."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/players-face-jail-if-they-lie-to-asada-20130420-2i7dp.html#ixzz3x0V3sVMW
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

I think they should consider themselves very lucky. A lie by omission is still a lie.

Just on the Jobe Watson decision, is anyone else surprised the AFL would draw this out for a month?

Surely the AFL have had more than enough time to plan for all potential outcomes?

What are the hoping for? People would forget?

And to be honest, it's pretty unfair on Jobe to have this discussion raging for the next month.
They might be giving him time to resolve the issue without demands: i.e hand it back voluntarily

Caro pondering "The still-unsolved mystery of why no Essendon footballer in 2012 confided to anyone outside the club about the strange experimental treatment they were enduring..."

I can imagine James Hird having a Reverend Jim Jones-like hold over the playing group, with his fanatical hatred of the Hawthorn Football Club inspiring his "whatever it takes" approach, which in the end resulted in what - the ultimate worst outcome for Essendon - a Hawthorn threepeat :p

Nice Neil Young reference at the end of Caro's article too!

Indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea mate its a friggin disgrace.
It's easy most of them rely on afl funding and will do what they are told.

The clubs should be demanding a complete clean out of the commission and all senior positions at the afl but they won't because they are all on the tit.

I think he is a bit strange. I've thought this for a bit now. I used to think he was balanced and a really good footy analyst On The Couch, but his media handling falters substantially once this blew up every time he is questioned / criticised etc. I think he has a bit of a problem with practically congenitally being incapable of really accepting fault full stop. Weird, but not totally unknown - some elements of personality disorder? It's been known.

Cool. I'm an Internet psychiatrist now :drunk:

He does appear to be utterly incapable of accepting blame or admitting fault. Even now - it's not because of anything he did that the players are being banned, it is because of a miscarriage of justice. On the face of it his statement today could be a statement of compassion for the players, but looks a little close and it is also a statement that absolves him personally of any guilt or responsibility for the outcome.

There is a pattern here. He frequently makes these statements that are represented as defences of other people, or statements of support for other people but also just happen to absolve James Hird of guilt or responsibility. So he can present himself as a defender of the little guy, the poor players, the innocent. But really he has consistently acted in his own best interests. Even if you look at something like his 'resignation' presented as magnanimous and for the best interests of the club and players. If those were really his concerns he would have gone much sooner. That he waited until his position was absolutely 100% untenable shows you what his real concern is.

It's easy most of them rely on afl funding and will do what they are told.

The clubs should be demanding a complete clean out of the commission and all senior positions at the afl but they won't because they are all on the tit.

yer just makes a bit of a mockery of the whole suspension really. Get caught doping but still get paid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back