Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Essendon saga, and how it was handled has done immeasurable damage to the image of the AFL and current and potential sponsorship deals. No wonder the other 17 club presidents are fuming. I feel for the Essendon supporters, in some part I feel for the players too due to the group and leadership pressure that they likely endured. I can't imagine the 34 players took the slogan "Do whatever it takes" literally and went and sought out a peptide regime themselves requiring hundreds of injections. They had to be led to do this and surely it wasn't just Dank acting solo. Will we ever get to the truth, not likely. Many of these player's careers are now destroyed when it is not in the same league as what Armstrong did.

There are degrees of doping, yes.

Armstrong is another level to EFC players, yes.

However, there is a black and white line and that has been crossed in this instance (i.e. can't be half pregnant).

The worst part about this is that the cheating didn't even give them a "in the moment" glory. I don't recall where they finished during the scandal but I'm sure it wasn't great.

They cheated and they still couldn't win the premiership, makes the whole thing laughable really.

the FACTS are that you swallowed a line. Sorry
At the time the AFL said that line they were very clear to say it was for governance issues.

Yes we know that it wasn't just for that, but it is very reasonable to now demand the AFL take action on actually being found guilty OR admit publicly they lied about it being governance only AND then all the commission from 2013 stands down.

If clubs are required to keep ASADA constantly informed on player locations (residence, holiday locations,etc), why on earth aren't they required to inform of what supplements/medications the club has administered to the players?

I know there's a requirement on the player but why not have the clubs do it too? (even if just for expediency)

Hird has a calm intelligence and presence that can suck anyone in.
If someone makes a movie about this episode it should be called "Hirdtown".

Couldn't believe the shit Tanner was spinning about him yesterday.

and the truth would be nice to hear, particularly as CAS all but called Jobe a liar
The biggest lie exposed in all of this - the players cooperated fully with the investigation. Every day we were told there would be no games missed because the darling angels cooperated. And this whole time Jab and Co is keeping the secret that players dodged writing thymosin on the doping control forms. What lying sacks of crap.

The biggest lie exposed in all of this - the players cooperated fully with the investigation. Every day we were told there would be no games missed because the darling angels cooperated. And this whole time Jab and Co is keeping the secret that players dodged writing thymosin on the doping control forms. What lying sacks of crap.
It probably goes deeper than that.
Way back at the beginning, they were saying "the players are being fully cooperative" when those saying that knew it was a lie
We were being conditioned way back then, the question is, by whom

It probably goes deeper than that.
Way back at the beginning, they were saying "the players are being fully cooperative" when those saying that knew it was a lie
We were being conditioned way back then, the question is, by whom
One thing is fairly clear now.
The court case to get the evidence quashed, they knew it was damning.
The EFC fans on here got that one wrong big time.

For the sake of this sport, this decision had to inevitably be delivered.

What we saw at Essendon in 2011-2012 can never be repeated and must serve as a warning to other clubs that they risk the consequences if they choose this path. It's a good day for those who care about the integrity and dignity of this sport.

Watching the panel shows last night and reading about the CAS outcome yesterday I had the same feelings. The punishment had to happen for the sake of the sport.

But it got me thinking about which other clubs may have been implicated in different circumstances. I have no doubt that if the same kind of investigation was run over several other clubs they would be in trouble including clubs like Hawthorn, Collingwood, Geelong, West Coast and yes, my own Melbourne (who were implicated in texts between Bates and Dank).

At the 31 minute mark, Gil just stares at Robbo with the "wtf are you on?" face. What a classic.
These days Robbo can't even express a coherent thought. That could've been a really interesting interview, but time and time again Gil was waiting for an actual question and Robbo just spewed jibber.

He's been good to laugh at and all during this saga but it's time they replaced Robbo. He is seriously bloody useless.

do you guys think if wada and Young had run the case at the afl they would have lost?
Yes because they would be dealing with the AFL tribunal and its insistence on the chain of events rather than the "cable" of evidence strand approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Tim Watson was asked directly 'why didn't the players declare the substances on (the control forms) when asked to by ASADA in 2012' (I'm paraphrasing slightly). He totally dodged the question, just said there were 'reasons for that' but didn't elaborate.

For mine it's perhaps the most damning point from the CAS finding and I haven't heard anyone directly employed by EFC, or its associates even try to address this.

Interesting that Tim Watson was asked directly 'why didn't the players declare the substances on (the control forms) when asked to by ASADA in 2012' (I'm paraphrasing slightly). He totally dodged the question, just said there were 'reasons for that' but didn't elaborate.

For mine it's perhaps the most damning point from the CAS finding and I haven't heard anyone directly employed by EFC, or its associates even try to address this.
As CAS said on that point "it was fatal"

There are degrees of doping, yes.

Armstrong is another level to EFC players, yes.

However, there is a black and white line and that has been crossed in this instance (i.e. can't be half pregnant).

I don't understand this notion that Armstrong is a different level to Essendon players.

- there was systematic doping in both cases.
- there were pharmacological experiments in both cases in the apparent endeavor to be "cutting edge".
- in both cases they were gaining an unfair competitive advantage.
- both spent years lying at every turn to cover up what had gone on.
- both have spent years making excuses ("everyone was doing it"/"we don't know what we took but we know it wasn't the banned ones").
- both have apparently bullied others to prevent an unfavorable narrative.

Why is there this determination that it's on different levels to Armstrong? It is absolutely on the same level.

If there are any Essendon supporters reading this ...

If you feel hard done by, just go and read the AFL/WADA code. Not only are the rules clearly laid out, the intention is clearly laid out as well. Basically, if you come within a whiff of any doping product you can be done. If you order a doping product online but don't receive it, you can be done. If you're in the same room as someone who is doping, you can (probably) be done. On the other hand, if you're not in the room you said you'd be and ASADA come knocking for a sample, you can be done. And so it goes.

The rules are in place to avoid any of the kind of "the dog ate my homework" or "honest gov, I didn't know what I was taking" or even "we can't remember what we took" or "they told me it was OK" excuses. If any of those circumstances apply to you and prohibited substances were involved ... you can be done. Probably.

If you've followed any doping cases in the past (e.g. cycling), this case was about as open and shut as it gets. People have had careers ended for less. So, forget about witch hunts and political interference and ASADA incompetence and any other conspiracy theory you might have. The rules are as clear as day, and just as clearly, the players fell foul of them.

Absolutely.

It's about the closest evidence you can get to a sure thing that there was intention to cheat by the players.

These days Robbo can't even express a coherent thought. That could've been a really interesting interview, but time and time again Gil was waiting for an actual question and Robbo just spewed jibber.

He's been good to laugh at and all during this saga but it's time they replaced Robbo. He is seriously bloody useless.
Is it just me or does he always seem to play some sort of game of seeing how close he can get to the guest of the show?

I swear he starts out in the audience and ends up on the guests laps.

Agreed. There is no defence to it. Also the fact that they all had blood tests for no medical reason other than it was related to taking TymosinB4. That's how I read the judgment anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back