Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

True, there is a silver lining but it will amount to nothing if the club doesn't take out the trash. If I was an Essendon supporter I'd want anyone even remotely connected to the scandal kicked out of the club including the 12 players. The fundamentals of the club are still strong with great facilities and a large, loyal supporter base. It's not too late to accept responsibility and take a completely different direction. Carlton have had 15 years to get over their scandal but have squandered the opportunities with one terrible decision after another, hiring has-been coaches and trading away high-quality forwards. Can the Bombers learn from Carlton's experience? Not many signs yesterday that they had. There's a bit of Abbott/Credlin about Essendon.

Essendon's problems have been there just as long as Carlton's. Sheedy playing politics and the money men behind the club stuffed it up well before they stuffed it up again by employing Hird.

Opposition supporters should boycott Essendon games, especially Essendon home games.

Nah let's not get into that. The 22 players running around out there will not be drug cheats. You'll have a bunch of young blokes from the local comps who have been given the shot of a lifetime. It sucks for them if no-one is at the game and they're copping abuse.

I don't dispute the ability / right for people to disparage EFC as an entity, but my own view is that twitter, the pub etc are the best forums to do that.

I know that I'm tilting at windmills with the whole 'don't boo EFC players at the game' btw.

The business world will form a queue a mile long to employ Hird for the mere fact that they would want to learn how he got away with it for so long and more importantly how someone else has taken the fall for something he should be held responsible for.
You're joking right?

Nah let's not get into that. The 22 players running around out there will not be drug cheats. You'll have a bunch of young blokes from the local comps who have been given the shot of a lifetime. It sucks for them if no-one is at the game and they're copping abuse.

To me that might end up being the story of the year, a "Replacements" style team being fielded.

I think the assumptions of the Bombers getting wooden spoons are being very generous to other teams, especially my Blues.

Essendon won't want to win. They'll play a development squad and they'll top up with players other clubs would have been watching anyway. If those players are ultimately good enough they'll get their chance.

Since day 1 the AFL have adopted the view that Essendon are victims in all of this (and I'm not just talking players).

It's farcical that opposition supporters would support the concessions Essendon are about to get from the AFL.

Cheating should have consequences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oh **** off Watson

Tim Watson: CAS hearing gave players bad vibes

Following their WADA appeal hearing, the Essendon players had serious concerns as to their fate, but were surprised by the penalty handed down by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), says Tim Watson.

Watson said his son, Bombers captain Jobe’, had to a degree prepared for the worst case scenario.

“I think some like Jobe who went to the hearing and gave evidence at the hearing and had the feel of what was going on probably had a more acute understanding of where this might head yesterday,” said Watson on SEN radio.

"I think he had partially prepared himself for what may occur, but I think the severity of the penalty probably caught them by surprise and they were in shock after that.”

Watson says the lawyers gave an indication following the hearing there may have been some sort of agenda at play.

“They found themselves I think quickly on the back foot in terms of the hearing itself, I think it didn’t necessarily play out the way they thought it would,” he said.

They thought that they would have a fairer hearing than that, but I think there’s now an understanding that if you go before CAS then probably the job has already been done.

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/01-16/tim-watson-cas-hearing-gave-players-bad-vibes#SujXheM6ZeyMLclz.99

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back