WAFL Performances

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure about that dom. too much talent on offer to slip outside the top ten

i just hope that he is having a lean patch and it isn't a sign of things to come

Isn't overly quick and doesn't win many clearances. Has also peaked physically and recruiters are obsessed with upside and the level of improvement left in a player.

Not saying he's a dud and won't be disappointed if we pick him but Palmer went at 7 last year and his WAFL form was much, much better.

Rich is still doing more in the WAFL then most young players, there are high expectations but he is doing just fine. Be over the moon if he came to Freo.
for sure :thumbsu:

i think it is ok to point out that he isn't perfect though, which is the impression people might get if they read bigfooty

Took a saving mark in defence followed by a match winning goal a minute or two later.

He doesn't cover the ground like a Judd/Palmer type. But his kicking is absolutely elite. Its hard to gauge where he'll end up playing, IN and UNDER and you lose his elite kicking. As an outside player he's not quite athletic enough.

Definately worth a top pick. But he has areas to improve. Perhaps a couple big AFL preseasons will see him become better at linking up and running to more contests.

FREMANTLEHeath Black (South Fremantle)
Despite declaring that he is close to pulling the pin on his 192-game AFL career, Heath Black returned after two weeks out with a shoulder problem to perform well in South Fremantle's 23-point loss to Subiaco at Medibank Stadium on Saturday.

Black picked up 24 possessions in an overall impressive display, with his game only blighted by the three free kicks he gave away and two points he kicked.

Even if Black doesn't play with Fremantle again, he has now played the five games required to qualify for WAFL finals and will most likely take part for South Fremantle and will look to add to his 1997 premiership medallion.

Des Headland (Subiaco)
After not playing AFL football since round four, Des Headland returned through the Subiaco reserves on Saturday and played a half of football.

Looking well short of a gallop, fitness and touch, Headland picked up six possessions in the half at Medibank Stadium and will be looking to graduate to a full game next week with Peel's reserves, due to Subiaco having the bye and then playing league football the following week when Subiaco plays Claremont at Claremont Oval.

Luke Webster (East Perth/Peel reserves)
After missing East Perth's game last week following two games back from revolutionary knee surgery, Luke Webster was supposed to make the trip to Bunbury on Saturday to play in Peel's reserves due to East Perth having the bye. He didn't line up, though, and it will be interesting to see if he plays for the Royals this Saturday against Peel at Medibank Stadium.

POTENTIAL DRAFTEES
Daniel Rich (Subiaco)

WA State 18s captain Daniel Rich returned to his best form for Subiaco on Saturday and lifted with the game on the line in the last quarter to help the Lions beat South Fremantle by 23 points.

Rich finished the game with 14 kicks, seven handballs, six marks and two goals to show the all-round ability he has and why he is still expected to be a top draft pick.

Matt DeBoer (Claremont)
Rich's 18s teammate Matt DeBoer had a solid game for Claremont in Bunbury despite the team going goalless after half time.

DeBoer overcame a nasty head gash to have a brilliant first half with 14 possessions, but with the team falling away after the main break he only had five second half disposals.

Ian Richardson (Claremont)
With Claremont firing in the first half against Peel in Bunbury, Ian Richardson was on song up forward with three goals before half time, but he only had one handball in the second half with the Tigers not managing a single goal.

Still presented well and worked hard, but Peel youngster Brad Triplett did well on him and Claremont simply didn't have enough of the ball with just 115 disposals in the second half.

Hayden Ballantyne (Peel)
Has won several matches single-handedly up forward for Peel this season and did so again in Bunbury on Saturday, but the difference this time was that he did it from the middle of the ground.

The pint-sized forward was well held by Claremont's Clancy Rudeforth in the first half as the Tigers opened up a 48-point advantage over the Thunder, but Ballantyne going onto the ball proved a master stroke.

He benefitted from the ruck work of Zac Beeck and from his blistering pace to break free from the centre to kick the first two goals of the third quarter, added another just before three quarter-time and then the last of the game as Peel managed a 61-point turnaround to win by 13 points.

The 21-year-old has now proven that not only can he be a livewire up forward, but also a damaging midfielder.

Thanks for that Wiz.

It's a shame Dessie won't qualify for the finals, he'll just be hitting full fitness when the regular season finishes.

If Ballantyne can't get a kick one out against Rudeforth who couldn't make it at AFL level how is he going to get a kick if drafted? I really hope we don't draft this guy.

Just to add to the potential draftee bit John Bennell who some of you might remember from the state game versus NSW/ACT made his league debut kicking a goal, gathering 14 touches and taking 4 marks.

It's a shame Dessie won't qualify for the finals, he'll just be hitting full fitness when the regular season finishes.

That'd be nice for Freo but not for the WAFL. The last thing the rest of the comp needs is the Subi juggernaut having a firing Dessie in September.

Clayton Hinkley playing well for Swans today. His disposal has been very good :thumbsu:

Smith has been quiet so far but did kick a nice goal.

NicNat also very quiet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree, hinkley has been excellent
interesting that one of the commentators said that smith his highly thought of down at the dockers. he is a massive unit

on the draftees, niknait was pretty ordinary. pretty obvious after today that he is not a defender. yarran is pure class, probably not worth a top 5 pick but he should be around the top 10

agree, hinkley has been excellent
interesting that one of the commentators said that smith his highly thought of down at the dockers. he is a massive unit

on the draftees, niknait was pretty ordinary. pretty obvious after today that he is not a defender. yarran is pure class, probably not worth a top 5 pick but he should be around the top 10

Yep not a defender. Will be a great ruckman, but it is hard to see him in any other position.

Agreed with the commentator that it would have been good to see Yarran up the field. He reminds me of Byron Pickett, without the intensity and hardness that Byron could have.

Hinkley was very good! We've got a goodun there.:thumbsu:

Phillips was good again. He'll get drafted for sure.

Hunt also good.

Adams looked impressive. I presume that he's Theo's younger brother?

Adams looked impressive. I presume that he's Theo's younger brother?

Yes he is Scham. John Townsend on WAFL On on Thursday said that Greg Miller had been down at Freo watching Jamie Graham and Ryan Murphy a couple of weeks back (while he was still at Richmond) and was quite impressed with Adams.

I was down at Claremont today. I was interested in having a look at DeBoer and Richardson. DeBoer can play but I was most impressed with Richardson. Very smart footballer this one. Kicked at least 4 goals, some from snaps during play but he kicked a couple of very good 50M sets shots, one of which was from a strong mark on the lead. I know there was a thread about him last week but I think he would be being looked at seriously as an AFL player. Can really play.

Haven't finished watching the game but Hinkley is, at least, having another good game. He at least has potential this kid, has pace and can deliver OK.

Chris Smith always seems to have a quiet game, I think I've seen him play 1 good game for Swans.

Garlett for anyone? or Wolfenden? Both typical style wingmen with loads of pace and put good defensive pressure on. Got to at least be worth rookie listing by a club.

I was down at Claremont today. I was interested in having a look at DeBoer and Richardson. DeBoer can play but I was most impressed with Richardson. Very smart footballer this one. Kicked at least 4 goals, some from snaps during play but he kicked a couple of very good 50M sets shots, one of which was from a strong mark on the lead. I know there was a thread about him last week but I think he would be being looked at seriously as an AFL player. Can really play.

Out of interest E-Shed what was deBoer's disposal like? I watched the U18 game v Vic M during the week and he was the king of flour bag punts, was it any better? Or do you reckon that can be fixed?

Out of interest E-Shed what was deBoer's disposal like? I watched the U18 game v Vic M during the week and he was the king of flour bag punts, was it any better? Or do you reckon that can be fixed?

Mixed. He didn't kick it that much (that I saw, I was with a friend who talked a lot) but when he did it seemed to go where he intended. He handballed a lot and missed a couple targets but also hit a few. Covers the ground well and seems to know where it's going. Would want to watch a few more games (on my own so I can concentrate) before I made any kind of serious assessment.

Haven't finished watching the game but Hinkley is, at least, having another good game. He at least has potential this kid, has pace and can deliver OK.

Chris Smith always seems to have a quiet game, I think I've seen him play 1 good game for Swans.

Garlett for anyone? or Wolfenden? Both typical style wingmen with loads of pace and put good defensive pressure on. Got to at least be worth rookie listing by a club.

Wolfenden maybe Garlett unlickey good player cant really hit up targets and think he wont really make it to afl level.

Update, just checked the stats and Ian Richardson ended up with 7. It would be interesting to see if he can play at the next level. Looks smart & skillful enough for mine.
BTW Andrew Browne had a lazy 33 possies too. Strange he's not playing for us tomorrow as he seems fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back