WAFL Watch 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo/WC reserve teams in the WAFL will never happen, the only way it would happen would be if there was a national reserves comp they could join. Or even a regional one with the two SA teams plus maybe a Darwin team in there.

Would love it if that eventuated. You could get the reserves team to play out of Freo oval.

With a $1b + TV deal signed, maybe there's the money for it now.

Its just ridiculous that two professional clubs have to send their kids into hellholes like Peel, under coaches that often have little idea or their own ideas, with teammates that probably resent them or at least don't really know them and under game plans that may give them bad habits or confuse the hell out of them (because they are taught a different game plan at Freo training).

I understand the arguments against having WC/Freo field teams in the WAFL, there's nothing stopping them fielding reserve teams in a national or regional reserves comp (actually except maybe WAFL ownership of WC/Freo??).

Its just ridiculous that two professional clubs have to send their kids into hellholes like Peel, under coaches that often have little idea or their own ideas, with teammates that probably resent them or at least don't really know them and under game plans that may give them bad habits or confuse the hell out of them (because they are taught a different game plan at Freo training).

Wow. What a complete load of absolute garbage.

Wow. What a complete load of absolute garbage.

It wasnt quiet that bad. It would be nice to have the reserves using the same tactics as fremante e.g. forward press. (All 5 players we have left).

I think as a player you would enjoy playing with people you train with, but the big question how would you find the 10-20 players to fill in the rest of the team??

Would we have a WAFL reserves team?

It wasnt quiet that bad.

No, it was that bad and it was completely uninformed rubbish.

A reserves side for Fremantle/WC is a great idea, but placing it into an existing competition, weakening the existing teams in that competition, operating with a different salary cap and filling out the remainder of the lists would be a nightmare.

No, it was that bad and it was completely uninformed rubbish.

A reserves side for Fremantle/WC is a great idea, but placing it into an existing competition, weakening the existing teams in that competition, operating with a different salary cap and filling out the remainder of the lists would be a nightmare.

Maybe you should read the entirety of what I said.

I acknowledged in my post that it is impossible to allow WC/Freo to set up a team in the WAFL, the alternative is a national reserves comp or regional comp with Port/Adel much in the same vein as the Eastern Australian comp set up recently for Brisbane/Sydney/Gold Coast/GWS.

Putting kids into the WAFL teams is far from ideal and in some ways is detrimental to their development. West Coast and Freo have been complaining for years and will continue to be pissed off by it until they get a reserves team. Port/Adelaide are in the same boat and have been complaining just as much.

Maybe you should read the entirety of what I said.

I did read the entirety of what you said, this paragraph was complete rubbish.

I am all for the AFL clubs having their own teams. The stubbornness shown by the AFL clubs - sadly more Fremantle by than WC - has the WAFL clubs hating the current arrangement as much as the AFL clubs. It will be difficult, but eventually they will need to figure something out. However, that wasn't the part of your post I took issue with, which is why I didn't include it in your quote.

Curly one for the Westar Rules watchers:

Kristin Thornton.

was with Sydney Swans for 4 or 5 seasons and had a rotten run with injuries. They persevered with him because they thought he had talent but it never came together at the right time and he had a knee redone.

This year he has come back to the West and it seems he is playing well. Has played a lot of time in the middle, getting named in the best players most weeks.

Given that the draft next year will be taken up mostly by GWS, would he be worth a go?

Curly one for the Westar Rules watchers:

Kristin Thornton.

was with Sydney Swans for 4 or 5 seasons and had a rotten run with injuries. They persevered with him because they thought he had talent but it never came together at the right time and he had a knee redone.

This year he has come back to the West and it seems he is playing well. Has played a lot of time in the middle, getting named in the best players most weeks.

Given that the draft next year will be taken up mostly by GWS, would he be worth a go?

Based purely on the name I have the scarring mental image of a female Scotty Too Hotty...so no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not surprised one bit by that regarding Anthony. Whether it is really inside information, or just made up using common sense. I never quite understood why the club (and so many on here) thought he would slot right into our forward line and kick 40-50 goals.

I feel like we wasted that PSD pick. There weren't really many options to pick from, but we should have gone for another mature running type who dominated the VFL, like Curnow or Hibberd.

Not surprised one bit by that regarding Anthony. Whether it is really inside information, or just made up using common sense. I never quite understood why the club (and so many on here) thought he would slot right into our forward line and kick 40-50 goals.

I feel like we wasted that PSD pick. There weren't really many options to pick from, but we should have gone for another mature running type who dominated the VFL, like Curnow or Hibberd.

Bit of "captain hindsight" here, but we should have went for Darling - key forward (although looks like he can play much more up the ground) who has shown potential and is from WA. Then with the PSD pick as you said, mature age recruit who has shown a bit in the VFL.

Nothing more we can do now I guess. Harvey seemed to go against the lazy players but we picked up Anthony who seems lazy/poor attitude. Lets wait till the season is over until we assess where he is at though but it doesnt look good.

According to that article Mitchie was complaining for several weeks to Peel/Freo staff about his sore foot and kept getting cleared to play.

If so, thats pretty disappointing, that the club chose to roll the dice with an area of the body that is known to be the source of some serious/difficult injuries. Particularly with a young kid.

On the upside, it sounds like Mitchie couldn't run out games with his injury, yet still got a stack of the ball in the first half when he could run. Could be a very good midfielder when fit.

IIRC Collingwood offered him another contract so he can't be that bad. I hope it's just a fitness issue.

Kepler was a fringe player going into the season, if he had struggled or got injured and with Johnson in career worst form, Pav in the middle and McPhee injured who would you have played at CHF/FF ?

Hopefully it's form and just taking extra time settling in WA for Anthony and it's not full on home sickness. It's a big move east to west and some people are great at starting fresh and making the most of it, others can struggle a lot. Plenty of time yet and at least he's got an easy target for the next game of 2 possesions+. Still hoping he might find some form and at least run out the year strong in the wafl.

I get the distinct impression that he feels he'd wholeheartedly deserved his Freo debut last week and that he was under the impression that he's in now and that's that - going by his brief presser the other week. I wouldn't be suprised if he's either secretly or not secretly spewing he got dropped back to subi after only 1 week, and no doubt feels his career is at the crossroads. It maybe melodramatic for him to think that but if he thinks it, well it may just be the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

WAFL Watch 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back