WAFL Watch 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

^^^sorry, for some reason I briefly thought he played for EP.

Sibosado 13 possessions.
Pitt 19 possessions.
Shephard 3 possessions (either crap or injured)

Chad Sandilands 35 hitouts in the colts!

Pitt was named in the best for Perth as well.

That's not the greatest mention of WAFL quality at the moment, Brades. Perth are hardly the bees knees of WAFL quality just lately... Would be a worry if Pitt wasn't in the best 5 for Perth, frankly...

Nice! The Zacman can't be far off a debut with form like that.

Que :confused:

Clarke has played at least 5 games at senior level already I'm pretty sure.

Hopefully Hinkley can continue improving at Swan Districts and eventually get a senior game or two later in the season, boost his trade value. I'm confident that if we can get a 3rd rounder for Brett Peake then maybe GWS or Port or even the Saints will take him off our hands for somthing similar.

Perhaps a tad disappointing for a former second rounder but you can't win em all.

That's not the greatest mention of WAFL quality at the moment, Brades. Perth are hardly the bees knees of WAFL quality just lately... Would be a worry if Pitt wasn't in the best 5 for Perth, frankly...
That is still a good thing tho ;)

Good to hear re: Clarke & Pitt.

It'd be interesting to see Clarke & Griff share a game with Sandi on the pine at some stage.

I think that's what has to happen. Griffin to do the bulk of the work in the ruck, Clarke to create a bit of mayhem in the forward line..

Que :confused:

Clarke has played at least 5 games at senior level already I'm pretty sure.

Hopefully Hinkley can continue improving at Swan Districts and eventually get a senior game or two later in the season, boost his trade value. I'm confident that if we can get a 3rd rounder for Brett Peake then maybe GWS or Port or even the Saints will take him off our hands for somthing similar.

Perhaps a tad disappointing for a former second rounder but you can't win em all.

A 2011 debut. Hasn't made the seniors this year from memory.

Whats the go wil Faulks (I know he has just returnined from injury)? Do you think we are training the buggery out of him to get his fittness up to AFL standards? It sounds like he is struggling.

Anyone see Casey's efforts on the weekend?

Whats the go wil Faulks (I know he has just returnined from injury)? Do you think we are training the buggery out of him to get his fittness up to AFL standards? It sounds like he is struggling.

Anyone see Casey's efforts on the weekend?

http://www.w*************.au/games/view/8843

4 disposals for the game.

Jack had one :eek:

Faulks' case it a little perplexing to say the least. He was good enough for VFL AA selection but is getting his arse handed to him in most games over here?? Is being AFL listed too much of a mental barrier for him?

Yeah, its a bit concerning. Although Peel games are always very open, free running games and are a world apart from the tough, more congested VFL games he is used to. That said, the state of his fitness when he first arrived was a huge concern also.

Certainly not the plug and play replacement for Taz many thought he would be (probably Brad Lloyd included). Looks a mile off it at the moment.

How tall is that Nathan Blee guy for East Perth? Read a few articles about him taking on and beating a lot of the big forwards in the WAFL. Only 20yo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Faulkes was god awful when I saw him play. Just no composure and terrible disposal. Could have been nervous but the signs haven't been good.

Faulkes injured his calf during the game. Hasn't had a good run at it so far, this was confirmed by Harvey at the end of his interview with 6PR. He has played quite well on smaller types. Played a good game on Richardson when Peel played Claremont earlier in the year. Last week got towelled up by Josh Smith from East Perth but did well against smaller types in te same game. Seems his fitness was a real issue when he arrived - this has improved thank goodness. But his skinny upper body is an issue for the body on body taller KPF types. Playing in WA takes a little getting used to. Hopefully he can yet put some size on him. Taz didn't set the world on fire in first season.

Faulks' case it a little perplexing to say the least. He was good enough for VFL AA selection but is getting his arse handed to him in most games over here?? Is being AFL listed too much of a mental barrier for him?

I'm at a loss too.

Just has not been competitive. Peel really need to find some competiveness over the next season or two - it would be really hard to be a defender with the ball coming at your opponent 20 times a game.

I would persevere, you don't lose the ability to play by flying over the Nullabor.

Never know, there could be a few mental issues (i.e. depression) with Faulksy/Anthony.

Never easy coming to the other side of the country, away from your usual support networks, playing in the WAFL for a side that is rarely competitive (Faulks).

Depending on the type of guy Faulks is, it may be hard fitting into the country lad culture at Peel also. Performing well in a team can also depend on how well you click with your teammates.

Anthony is reportedly a bit of a square peg. Who knows how he is faring over here trying to fit in. As with Faulks, his performance as a forward may depend on how well he clicks with his Subi teammates. I imagine it can be hard coming in to the team to play on weekends (rarely training with them during weekdays). You may feel like you're "in the way" all the time and so let other guys like Broadhurst make the leads.

All the more reason why Freo needs its own reserves team.

Just has not been competitive. Peel really need to find some competiveness over the next season or two - it would be really hard to be a defender with the ball coming at your opponent 20 times a game.

Can I make a joke here about now that Peel won't be forced to play Michie on-ball they should be a lot more competitive?

I would persevere, you don't lose the ability to play by flying over the Nullabor.

Yeah, I think he'll be fine, as I've said before he actually can play.

Never know, there could be a few mental issues (i.e. depression) with Faulksy/Anthony.

Never easy coming to the other side of the country, away from your usual support networks, playing in the WAFL for a side that is rarely competitive (Faulks).

Depending on the type of guy Faulks is, it may be hard fitting into the country lad culture at Peel also. Performing well in a team can also depend on how well you click with your teammates.

A lot of the players that get drafted into the AFL, move interstate and start out playing in the WAFL never quite grasp the 'If I want to play AFL footy, I better have a go' concept. It's one of the big reasons, they never make it; particularly the later draft picks. Faulks, is not one of those guys. He has a crack when he does get to play (hasn't been often) and has made an effort to fit in with the Peel guys.

The poor fitness base would've made the pre-season a struggle for him, and the injuries (reinjured again this weekend) wouldn't be helping with his form when he does get to play. It's not a one step forward, two steps back situation, but it's the next best thing.

A lot of the players that get drafted into the AFL, move interstate and start out playing in the WAFL never quite grasp the 'If I want to play AFL footy, I better have a go' concept. It's one of the big reasons, they never make it; particularly the later draft picks. Faulks, is not one of those guys. He has a crack when he does get to play (hasn't been often) and has made an effort to fit in with the Peel guys.

The poor fitness base would've made the pre-season a struggle for him, and the injuries (reinjured again this weekend) wouldn't be helping with his form when he does get to play. It's not a one step forward, two steps back situation, but it's the next best thing.

I would have thought if you get drafted, de-listed and then offered one more lifeline you would want to make every post a winner, I think Faulkes said as much when he came over.
The fact that Sydney & Paul Roos particularly couldn't get him up to the level they required says a lot.
Having said that it would be very handy if he can crack it. I've only actually seen him in the pre-season scratch match at Freo Oval and he did nothing to inspire, looked out of his depth (mind you a lot of players had iffy disposal around that time of year).

I would have thought if you get drafted, de-listed and then offered one more lifeline you would want to make every post a winner, I think Faulkes said as much when he came over.
The fact that Sydney & Paul Roos particularly couldn't get him up to the level they required says a lot.

Meh, what an 18 year kid does in Sydney when he's used to making the 'first' team for his entire junior footy career, is very different to what a 22/23 year old does with his second chance. Personally I wouldn't read anything into what happened at Sydney.

I know we like to think every single kid that gets drafted will just take the opportunity by the scruff of the neck but it isn't always the case. A lot of them are immature, have a false sense of entitlement and have no real idea about what it actually takes to play a single game of AFL footy, let alone what it takes to become a regular.

Sometimes - as I hope will be the case with Faulks - it takes having your dream taken away from you, before you actually start putting in the hard work to make it a reality again.

Having said that it would be very handy if he can crack it. I've only actually seen him in the pre-season scratch match at Freo Oval and he did nothing to inspire, looked out of his depth (mind you a lot of players had iffy disposal around that time of year).

Until he starts getting regular games under his belt I think it's impossible to judge. He was supposedly a great shut-down defender at VFL level, there is no reason that shouldn't at least translate to the WAFL and from there who knows?

Yeah I know, I was one of them. at the end of the day I rate his midfield capabilities based on what he provided in the offseason in addition to lloydy's write ups.

He'll be fine as an outside midfielder.

FWIW despite the presentation being a million times better, Lloyds WAFL write ups aren't worth much more than the 'very good effort' reports we used to get from Malaxos. They are typically very 'glass half full' with a fair bit of gloss added to the poor stuff, if it's mentioned at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

WAFL Watch 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back