windows

All Australian
Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
When #43 was young (read<22) I was continually amazed that he was played forward or on a wing. Two fantastic attributes he had that were obvious from day one were size and hands. His hands have always been wonderful (so has his kicking btw but that is another story). He was also a very poor reader of the play in his early days. Playing flank and wing positions he repeatedly would get caught lost between contests. They would try him on the ball for short bursts, or one or two games, and then lose patience and abandon it for long periods.

Long debates ensued about his rightful position. It really wasn't until he was about 26/27 (after a good year and a half at CHB) that they finally tried him on the ball regularly. There he doesnt need to read the play, he can just rely on his size and his hands, his hands his hands.

Walker is not quite of the same size (although he is larger than the average midfielder), but his hands are almost as good. They really are. And he is probably quicker (off the mark at least) than Kouta was when he was young. And fitter aerobically.

This is deja vu.

I do hope I don't have to wait years and years before they put him in his obviously correct position and leave him there. A "go and get the ball" (not tagger) on baller. Let him play there all year. Just leave him there. He will take a long time to learn, because his is pretty footy dumb, but he will get it. Playing on flanks or tagging in bits and pieces roles is just not going to help him.

windows said:
When #43 was young (read<22) I was continually amazed that he was played forward or on a wing. Two fantastic attributes he had that were obvious from day one were size and hands. His hands have always been wonderful (so has his kicking btw but that is another story). He was also a very poor reader of the play in his early days. Playing flank and wing positions he repeatedly would get caught lost between contests. They would try him on the ball for short bursts, or one or two games, and then lose patience and abandon it for long periods.

Long debates ensued about his rightful position. It really wasn't until he was about 26/27 (after a good year and a half at CHB) that they finally tried him on the ball regularly. There he doesnt need to read the play, he can just rely on his size and his hands, his hands his hands.

Walker is not quite of the same size (although he is larger than the average midfielder), but his hands are almost as good. They really are. And he is probably quicker (off the mark at least) than Kouta was when he was young. And fitter aerobically.

This is deja vu.

I do hope I don't have to wait years and years before they put him in his obviously correct position and leave him there. A "go and get the ball" (not tagger) on baller. Let him play there all year. Just leave him there. He will take a long time to learn, because his is pretty footy dumb, but he will get it. Playing on flanks or tagging in bits and pieces roles is just not going to help him.

At least he isn't English "dumb" ;)

Walker has always been an outside type. He could still play onball in that style but he wont ever have the hardball capabilities of someone like Kouta. Wing is the perfect possie IMO.

I disagree windows. I think tagging roles are an excellent way for him to learn about the game from the best players in the league.

I also think he is quite different from Kouta in that he is a fair bit quicker. I do think he'll end up playing most of his footy in the middle, and he'll use his pace and endurance to be a ball carrier who runs the lines.

theorangeapple said:
Walker has always been an outside type. He could still play onball in that style but he wont ever have the hardball capabilities of someone like Kouta. Wing is the perfect possie IMO.

Agree TOA. I think the wing is where Walker will play his best footy. At the same age, Walker is miles ahead of Kouta in his ability to read the play.

i can understand Windows opinion, i hate when clubs recruit a player who was a CHF, CHB or rover and never play them in that position and wonder why they didnt reach their potential.

Rhys87 said:
i can understand Windows opinion, i hate when clubs recruit a player who was a CHF, CHB or rover and never play them in that position and wonder why they didnt reach their potential.

Walker was most definitely recruited as a midfielder, hence the comparisons to Kouta. A very very exciting prospect who has yet to get anywhere near his potential. Lets hope he is in for a big 2006.

At 19 years of age and the spot light finally off the poor bloody bugger after being the only low pick we have had since when? watch this boy go in 2006.
the resserection has begun

I think the tagging roles are good for him.
If he dosent have the footy brain as you say then the tagging will help him to know where to go to find the ball and he will be learning it from a lot of great players

The worst thing to happen to Walker was playing so well against West Coast in his debut match. Expectations were immediately raised through the roof.

I don't have a problem with him being used in tagging roles last season, however the time has come for him to be unleashed offensively so to speak. I think it will happen, with all the talk that Pagan will change the game plan to a more possession oriented style this season.

I can understand the comparisions to a young Kouta, but I don't entirely agree with them. The major difference was when Kouta was running around in the U19's & Reserves he already had a body that was capable of playing at AFL level, Walker hasn't yet.

The one advantage Walker has over a young Kouta, is natural footy smarts. Kouta took a few seasons to learn to read the play, whereas Walker knows what he should do, his body just hasn't allowed him to do it yet.

Walker = midfielder. Ruck-Rover, Wing doesn't matter as they are all the same in this day and age anyway.

WTTF said:
The worst thing to happen to Walker was playing so well against West Coast in his debut match. Expectations were immediately raised through the roof.

I don't have a problem with him being used in tagging roles last season, however the time has come for him to be unleashed offensively so to speak. I think it will happen, with all the talk that Pagan will change the game plan to a more possession oriented style this season.

I can understand the comparisions to a young Kouta, but I don't entirely agree with them. The major difference was when Kouta was running around in the U19's & Reserves he already had a body that was capable of playing at AFL level, Walker hasn't yet.

The one advantage Walker has over a young Kouta, is natural footy smarts. Kouta took a few seasons to learn to read the play, whereas Walker knows what he should do, his body just hasn't allowed him to do it yet.

Walker = midfielder. Ruck-Rover, Wing doesn't matter as they are all the same in this day and age anyway.

WTTF have you been down to training lately? Walker has put on a stack of muscle and looks like a ready made starter I can tell you. His physique is much better than Kouta's when Kouta was 19 (who else recalls a gangly looking Kouta running around)?

I can also tell you that when he is in his mid 20's he is going to be a very powerfully built footballer, it is in his genes (his father mentioned this last year to someone I know), and I think we will all see how his body has changed over the past 2 years.

What we must remember is that this kid is only 19 and doesnt turn 20 until midway through next season. Players like Ratten, Silvagni, Williams, Kouta, Hamill, Brown didnt have an impact at this age either, and remember that Kernahan and Bradley didnt come to the club until they were 22 and physically prepared for AFL.

Walker has already shown in glimpses his talent, and I think there is a heap of it. I think he will become a key player in 2006 and thenn when he is around 22 years of age I think he will become one of the top midfielders in our game.

In the meantime I would play him off Half Back (to educate him and allow him to use his marking ability defensively) rotating through the midfield.

let walker play at HBF for 2006 (and maybe beyond)
he can use his pace to run the lines and carry the ball
makes him accountable for an opponent and most of all allows him much more game time than he has been getting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue70 said:
WTTF have you been down to training lately? Walker has put on a stack of muscle and looks like a ready made starter I can tell you. His physique is much better than Kouta's when Kouta was 19 (who else recalls a gangly looking Kouta running around)?

I was purely comparing Walker to a young Kouta so far........not what Walker will be in the future, as I don't proclaim to be a clairvoyant.

Kouta was never gangly by the way.........his body was ready for the AFL when was 17-18, it was just his lack of footy smarts at the time that held him back a little.

Walker has been the opposite so far.

WTTF said:
I was purely comparing Walker to a young Kouta so far........not what Walker will be in the future, as I don't proclaim to be a clairvoyant.

Kouta was never gangly by the way.........his body was ready for the AFL when was 17-18, it was just his lack of footy smarts at the time that held him back a little.

Walker has been the opposite so far.

I have to disagree with you here, Kouta was quite skinny when he was 19 & 20. Remember he was 22 when he played in the 95 flag and have a look at the tape, he is no where near as bulky and muscular as he is now.

I was at training on Friday and the guy's that have changed in body shape the most are Walker, Russell, Fisher, Bryan (has beefed up significantly), Hartlett and Thornton (continues to add muscle). S.O'Hailpin has also put on more muscle and is now looking like he is ready to play AFL.

Fev also looks massive (bigger than last year) and Saddington has more muscle than I thought. Batson is also alot bigger than last year and looks quite imposing, it would be great if he progressed quickly as he is a big unit.

The young kids of a few years ago are now starting to look like AFL hardened blokes and this is why I think we could be significant improvers next year.

Blue70 said:
I have to disagree with you here, Kouta was quite skinny when he was 19 & 20. Remember he was 22 when he played in the 95 flag and have a look at the tape, he is no where near as bulky and muscular as he is now.

Kouta was skinnier than what he is today, no doubt about that, but that doesn't mean he was skinny. His body was ready to play at that time, that's my point.

WTTF said:
Kouta was skinnier than what he is today, no doubt about that, but that doesn't mean he was skinny. His body was ready to play at that time, that's my point.

OK but go down and see Walker, he is looking like a finely tuned footballer. I think he could be a great player in 06.

Say what you want about Walker, if your talking finely tuned athletes you cant go past Big Lance can you?He looks like he's had a big pre season. He will be hard to stop in 2006 with his extra muscle and enhanced mobility. I heard at time trials he recored his quickest time for the 3km run since joining the blues.

Da Shag On Fire said:
Say what you want about Walker, if your talking finely tuned athletes you cant go past Big Lance can you?He looks like he's had a big pre season. He will be hard to stop in 2006 with his extra muscle and enhanced mobility. I heard at time trials he recored his quickest time for the 3km run since joining the blues.

He is looking quite good although I wouldnt state he is a finely tuned athlete. There was alot of talk about him a few weeks ago but I must say from what I have seen he looks like he is in pretty reasonable shape. I would love him to go to the next level and improve his physique and become stronger but I cant complain about his performances as he always performs quite well.

If you think Lance is a finely tuned muscular athlete i'd love to get your opinion on Kouta?

Walker on the other hand looks fantastic, he really looks like a well developed AFL footballer now and I think will be in for a big 06... Jordan Russell is another one who has suprised me with how his physique has changed - he could be a big bonus for us in 06.

Blue70 said:
He is looking quite good although I wouldnt state he is a finely tuned athlete. There was alot of talk about him a few weeks ago but I must say from what I have seen he looks like he is in pretty reasonable shape. I would love him to go to the next level and improve his physique and become stronger but I cant complain about his performances as he always performs quite well.

If you think Lance is a finely tuned muscular athlete i'd love to get your opinion on Kouta?

Walker on the other hand looks fantastic, he really looks like a well developed AFL footballer now and I think will be in for a big 06... Jordan Russell is another one who has suprised me with how his physique has changed - he could be a big bonus for us in 06.

I think you'll find the Whitnall "fine tuned athlete" comment was sarcasm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker is an on-baller

Remove this Banner Ad

Back