Ward misses out on Rising Star????

Remove this Banner Ad

It just proves that the award is a joke and awarded for consistency and not the best young kid per round.

Yeah maybe, but at the end of the year ther will be 22 kids nominated and all of them will be deserving of being there regardless of which round they were picked. I'm more than confident that Cal will put in another ripping performance or two before season's end and earn his call-up... maybe as soon as next week if he plays well against North. What's wrong with taking a little consistency into account anyway?

It just proves that the award is a joke and awarded for consistency and not the best young kid per round.
isnt that what the award is about? consistency over the season?

FWIW i think the nomination process is a joke. Can someone tell me why we cant have more than one player nominated per week and even some weeks where no one gets nominated? Why should someone get a nomination just because they happened to be the best of a bad bunch in a given round? How is it diminishing from the award if 2, 3 or even 4 players get nominated in a round, that way you can reward any outstanding performances and consistancy. What happens(god forbid) if Ward gets injured in the first 5 mins this week and is out for the year, he misses out on a nomination that he thoroughly deserves because of a ridiculous nomination system.

could see this coming tbh. A lot of people were raving about Joseph's performance in the media and the plaudits were fewer for wardy! Still will continue to vent about the way this award is voted on. Every round should have a 5,4,3,2,1 for anyone who is eligible! This then rewards consistency. does anyone agree?

could see this coming tbh. A lot of people were raving about Joseph's performance in the media and the plaudits were fewer for wardy! Still will continue to vent about the way this award is voted on. Every round should have a 5,4,3,2,1 for anyone who is eligible! This then rewards consistency. does anyone agree?

I agree completely, don't let media hype under or over assess the young players, have them all judged round by round so that no opinions get out of hand, like they did with Cyril Rioli (the most overrated footballer in the league) last year.

Let's not get too obsessed with the Rising Star award. Nice to win one but there's been some pretty handy players who have not won it (eg Judd) or not even got a nomination (eg Aka) - both went on to win Brownlows and premierships. And Shaun Higgins (future Brownlow winner and premiership player) didn't even get a vote despite being nominated in 2007!

The real value is in looking at the nominations over a period of time. They tell you whether you are getting any decent new talent into the club. But it's only a rough guide because it tends to favour midfielders and smaller types who reach their potential earlier.

So I had a look back through the nominations. It's a pretty telling stat that we didn't get a single nomination from Round 3 1996 (Darce) until Round 9 2001 (Luke Penny... hah!). That flat spot - poor recruiting and list management indicated by 5 years or 115 rounds without a RS nominee - pretty much set the scene for the club's 5 year performance trough from 2001-2005.

Since Rd 9 we've had 13 nominations in 8 years which is slightly above par. Ten of them are still with the club and all would still be in our best 22 (that'll start another argument!):
2001 (3, Penny, Gia, Murphy)
2002 (3, Birss, Hargrave, McMahon)
2003 (0)
2004 (2, Cross & Cooney)
2005 (2, Minson, Griffen)
2006 (0)
2007 (2, Higgins, Williams)
2008 (1, Hill)

If you're still panicking about Cal, just consider that Cooney didn't get nominated until R21 and still came equal 4th behind Jared Rivers, Aaron Davey, Richard Hadley and tied with Paul Bevan. I know who I'd take out of those five and I couldn't give a stuff that he wasn't a RS winner.

Let's not get too obsessed with the Rising Star award. Nice to win one but there's been some pretty handy players who have not won it (eg Judd) or not even got a nomination (eg Aka) - both went on to win Brownlows and premierships. And Shaun Higgins (future Brownlow winner and premiership player) didn't even get a vote despite being nominated in 2007!

The real value is in looking at the nominations over a period of time. They tell you whether you are getting any decent new talent into the club. But it's only a rough guide because it tends to favour midfielders and smaller types who reach their potential earlier.

So I had a look back through the nominations. It's a pretty telling stat that we didn't get a single nomination from Round 3 1996 (Darce) until Round 9 2001 (Luke Penny... hah!). That flat spot - poor recruiting and list management indicated by 5 years or 115 rounds without a RS nominee - pretty much set the scene for the club's 5 year performance trough from 2001-2005.

Since Rd 9 we've had 13 nominations in 8 years which is slightly above par. Ten of them are still with the club and all would still be in our best 22 (that'll start another argument!):
2001 (3, Penny, Gia, Murphy)
2002 (3, Birss, Hargrave, McMahon)
2003 (0)
2004 (2, Cross & Cooney)
2005 (2, Minson, Griffen)
2006 (0)
2007 (2, Higgins, Williams)
2008 (1, Hill)

If you're still panicking about Cal, just consider that Cooney didn't get nominated until R21 and still came equal 4th behind Jared Rivers, Aaron Davey, Richard Hadley and tied with Paul Bevan. I know who I'd take out of those five and I couldn't give a stuff that he wasn't a RS winner.

Nice work.

only a matter of time for ward. im not sure but you might have been hurt by the fact that carlton played in the second half of the round.... either way ward will get his nomination and all will be forgiven :thumbsu:

only a matter of time for ward. im not sure but you might have been hurt by the fact that carlton played in the second half of the round.... either way ward will get his nomination and all will be forgiven :thumbsu:

No they didn't.

They played the very first game of the round versus St.Kilda.

Lots of valid points have been made, however nothing will change my opinion that had Ward been playing for one of the bigger teams on a Friday night he would have scooped the award for the week. It's as simple as that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of valid points have been made, however nothing will change my opinion that had Ward been playing for one of the bigger teams on a Friday night he would have scooped the award for the week. It's as simple as that.

That makes it simple.

All he needs to do is play a blinder against Collingwood (round 15)or Essendon (round 16) and he gets his nomination

Tayte Pears' job on Fev on friday night was very good also...you would think though no matter how Cal plays today they will give it to NicNat, all the hype confirmed in 1 match-winning qaurter

I think Callan would have been a little disappointed with his game today, made a couple of mistakes that he has been working on fixing, and didn't run hard enough to get on the end of easy balls in the second half.

Certainly wasn't a poor game but not up to the last few weeks.

Apparently Pears from Essendon got the nomination this week. Pears was great for 4 quarters, but christ if we are basing it on one solid game then surely Cal. Ward was in with a shot last week. Oh well.

He'll get a nomination eventually, a bit frustrating as I think it would be good for him to get one.

Feels a bit like a case of footy club discrimination. He needs to play well in a game that the selection panel actually watches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ward misses out on Rising Star????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back