Warney is open for Ashes comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know how much talking to a leggie would help Lyon. Completely different styles of bowling.

Ashley Mallett would be much more worthwhile for Gaz to spend more time with.
Warne turns it one way, Lyon turns it the other. Principles are still the same. Give the ball flight, land it where you want it to and give it a rip. Warne beat as many batsmen with his mind as he did with his bowling, so there has to be some insight to be gained, no matter what type of spinner.

By your train of thought, Mark Taylor would not be as good of an influence on David Warner as Chris Gayle, because Taylor's batting style is not similar to Warner's, where Gayle's is. Drawing a long bow, I know, but the point is valid.

Ummm...??? Warne very nearly did bowl out England on his own in 2005, 40 wickets and MOTS.. he was immense. Probably the best I've ever seen him bowl. Just because we didn't win the series doesn't mean Warne was incapable!!

I think a comeback would end badly for him now, he retired too early, but I think the aura and durability would be gone and he'd tarnish his reputation slightly, would still be cool though.

Warne did take 40 wickets in that serious...

Wrong series, South Africa at home that summer. http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/226371.html

Warne has lost the plot. He will be in a mental institution before too long.
I just think 5 or so years in the relative wilderness Warney feels the need to pump his ego and lap up the delusions of those who think he can just rock up match fit and steamroll England. (like he did before the last Ashes and I think before the India series too),

He's utterly delusional.......or......he knows exactly what he's doing which is reminding all and sundry that he's spending a month or two ere in Australia for the Big Bash and wants to remind everyone he's home and is coming to a ground near you!

If he has any genuine interest in making a test return the first thing he'd be advised to do is contact the Victorian selectors and play some first class cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In his "prime" he was smoking durries in the drinks break, and smashing down pies and toasties in his lunch break.

He'd only be better in terms of fitness. But his sort of role in the team doesn't demand optimum physical condition.

Mental side would be fine - he thrives on the fight, and has the ego. What better situation for him, than to be 43 with everyone doubting him, being the hero to come out retirement and save Australian cricket, in an Ashes series no less. For someone who should have been (but never was) captain, this would be the ultimate for him.

The other bowlers might take it as a kick in the guts. Good. Learn to take 20 wickets, and it wouldn't be necessary.

I don't believe in the age thing anyway. One 43 year old might be more durable than the next 32 year old, or whatever. That's before you even consider roles within the team - if he was having to roar in all day and nudge 150km/hr, different story. He's walking in and spinning it. More than doable at his age. Especially for him.

Having said all of this, wont happen. Because interesting things just don't. We'll plod along with the same plodders we have been, and pray for miracles, and wake to nightmares of not being able to defend 400. That's just how it goes.

With the timing, it screams publicity stunt.

If it was actually serious, I wouldn't be disappointed. He would probably be a shadow of his former self having to bowl long spells again, but even that would have the rest of our spin stocks covered.

bit of a coincidence that he comes out and says something like this when the big bash is starting in 2 days

Well said. He's probably been told advance sales for the Big Bash are low and he won't be getting his extra cut of the gate takings. Hence the "sudden" offer to return.

A whore is always on the lookout for the next trick after all.

I agree with almost everything written here, too old, publicity stunt etc... but in the back of my mind I am wondering if hypothetically he could still do it?
That is not to suggest I think that this anything other than a PR stunt, but if anyone could do it, it would be Warne.

I don't reckon anyone doubts he could do it, but he would have to go back and play for St Kilda and then the Vics after the Big Bash is over to get in 4 day nick. What would you do? Travel the world playing poker and ploughing Liz Hurley or play Premier Cricket?

I don't reckon anyone doubts he could do it, but he would have to go back and play for St Kilda and then the Vics after the Big Bash is over to get in 4 day nick. What would you do? Travel the world playing poker and ploughing Liz Hurley or play Premier Cricket?
Disappointingly, I will never have that decision to make.

bit of a coincidence that he comes out and says something like this when the big bash is starting in 2 days

Not coincidental at all. The only reason he was being interviewed in the first place was because of the Big Bash.

Clearly some journo has asked him if he could still play Test cricket (in the context of the Ashes), and Warne doesn't want to suggest he's rubbish as he's still playing T20, so he says yes, hypothetically, he could. One thing needs to another and we've suddenly got him trying to muscle in on Lyon's spot, which clearly wasn't his intention.

I agree with almost everything written here, too old, publicity stunt etc... but in the back of my mind I am wondering if hypothetically he could still do it?
That is not to suggest I think that this anything other than a PR stunt, but if anyone could do it, it would be Warne.

Bert Ironmonger bowled leg spin for Australia at 44.
It's possible that Warne doesn't have any real fitness base from the last 5 years.

The Ashes in England might not be possible but the Ashes next summer might.

He won't be willing to put in the work though. Would need to finish off the shield season with Victoria and then play County Cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Warney is open for Ashes comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

Back