Toast Warren Tredrea - Elected to the Port Board (Football discussion only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure they're all adults. I'm not into racing whether it's dogs or horses but football players and gambling have been synonomous for years.

A head coach and GM in gambling industry ownership syndicates with current players is one of the more fertile red flag forests a club can plant, I’d have thought.

I'm as big a Tredders fan as you can be, but it's a results business. Needs to get Hinkley sacked

He needs to convince the very football committee who recently recommended extended Hinkley’s contract. He is just one vote.

A head coach and GM in gambling industry ownership syndicates with current players is one of the more fertile red flag forests a club can plant, I’d have thought.

Warning Watch Out GIF

Warning Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

The Deep Amber Alert GIF by The Deep (Series)

Port officials:
bart simpson GIF

If you're president, do you let it occur?
I'm guessing you mean the President of our club which is a part of a national organisation who makes tens of millions of dollars a year directly from gambling sponsorship and product fees. Sportsbet reportedly paid over 8 million to the AFL last year. The previoius CEO now works for Tabcorp. I don't like or participate in dog or horse racing and have had to have a constant conversation with my sons who talk about their multi's during the game but I'm not naive enough to think that Ken's dog sydicate with his players is the hill our President will choose to die on under the circumstances.

I'm guessing you mean the President of our club which is a part of a national organisation who makes tens of millions of dollars a year directly from gambling sponsorship and product fees. Sportsbet reportedly paid over 8 million to the AFL last year. The previoius CEO now works for Tabcorp. I don't like or participate in dog or horse racing and have had to have a constant conversation with my sons who talk about their multi's during the game but I'm not naive enough to think that Ken's dog sydicate with his players is the hill our President will choose to die on under the circumstances.

What would you do if you were president?

It's not illegal, but I would request the coach not to involve any player or coach, with a rationale. I know that it may be futile, but it gives a profile.

Jesus it's an easy answer but he gave you that feels for that one finals win against Hawthorn where we fell over the line but pretend there's no leadership issue with the syndicates.

Here's a hint, it's nothing to do with the gambling industry and everything to do with culture and how to run things the right way.

What would you do if you were president?

It's not illegal, but I would request the coach not to involve any player or coach, with a rationale. I know that it may be futile, but it gives a profile.
Fair call - you're right it would be a great way of making a stand as a club - even if it was a little bit hypercritical. Would you get rid of the pokies or is it just gambling with animals that is the problem?

Fair call - you're right it would be a great way of making a stand as a club - even if it was a little bit hypercritical. Would you get rid of the pokies or is it just gambling with animals that is the problem?
You'd get rid of neither the pokies or worry about anything to do with gambling, it's not the issue. Maybe think about it from a players view and then imagine what sort of a shitshow of leadership even allows this to happen in the first place without blowing a fuse?

You are one of the players on the fringe of the first team and you are not in the special coaches group, next week you are up against one of the players in it for the last spot in the squad for the next game. You get 25 and a goal in the SANFL and they get 11 and kick 2 points. They get selected.

Humans are hypocritical. The entire afl is hypocritical but kind of indirectly but there should be boundaries. The problem for me is that the senior coach, whether he should or shouldn't be, is a role model, and each year young men come under his guidance, obviously some young men still haven't fully developed their ability to rationalise, and they acknowledge that a group of players are involved with the coach in gambling. It could be tempting. I just don't like the direct opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awwwww Kenny the father figure. The wonderful father figure that encourages his kids to join him in a gambling syndicate. You're quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Warren Tredrea - Elected to the Port Board (Football discussion only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back