Warren Tredreas Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

They did have better years. This is also reflected in the Brownlow votes and All-Australian side. People put too much emphasis on GF performance - of which Pendlebury was still up there with Bartel and Selwood on the day. Swan also had a blinder in the prelim, and both of them tore us apart in the qualifying final.

I'd say how a player performs on the biggest stage of the year against the best opponent they could possibly face is a good reflection on how good they are.

Seagulling easy possessions against poor sides is easy.

I'd say how a player performs on the biggest stage of the year against the best opponent they could possibly face is a good reflection on how good they are.

Seagulling easy possessions against poor sides is easy.

That is so biased to your narrow minded arguement.

So you say scrap the All Australian, scrap the brownlow, scrap best and fairests. ITS ALL ABOUT GRAND FINAL DAY LOL. We'll see how your tune changes when your team slides.

Nice join date btw.

Pretty sure he supported West Coast as his VFL/AFL team before Ports entry but yes can't think of too many people putting Hurn in there top 50 and Cox slightly too high at 3. Embley in a better position in the 40's than what Roo had him at 17.

Yeh treddas is a mad West Coast fan, i've chatted to him before on a flight from melbourne to adelaide before, when he was still playing. Had my West Coast jacket on and he came up and chatted, top bloke.

It's funny. I always think Richmond people over-compensate for Deledio being underrated by running the whole 'Deledio is elite' campaign. He isn't one of the absolute topliners going around but he is very underrated. Should have been All Australian HBF this year and not having him in the top 50 is ridiculous. He suffers from the fact that people think he could be better than he is, while ignoring the good footy he does play. The same can probably be said for Jack Riewoldt in 2011.

I could be wrong, and I'm sure Richmond people will correct me if they think so, but Deledio just comes across as a nice, neat, inoffensive footballer who plays quite well but really doesn't do anything of any great significance to impact a game.

That's my impression at least. Certainly a good player and would take him at the Hawks in a heart beat, but I still see him as a long, long way off having the impact that the 'cream of the competition' have.

I could be wrong, and I'm sure Richmond people will correct me if they think so, but Deledio just comes across as a nice, neat, inoffensive footballer who plays quite well but really doesn't do anything of any great significance to impact a game.

That's my impression at least. Certainly a good player and would take him at the Hawks in a heart beat, but I still see him as a long, long way off having the impact that the 'cream of the competition' have.

It's a vicious circle. Deledio executed several outstanding individual pieces of play in our last win against Adelaide, yet the commentators didn't see fit to comment on any of them whereas e.g. a Judd would've brought on paroxysms of joy for each. Was instrumental in keeping us in the game when the chips were down but Cotchin, Martin, Vickery received all the kudos.
Q1 - 25m handball into space from stationary position in pack for Nahas to run onto and goal
Q2 - two desperate tackles in succession to dispossess opponents and force the ball out of play when the Crows looked likely to score
Q3 - slides into opponent and bumps him off the ball, takes clean possession in very tight situation and extricates ball to teammate to clear
Q4 - sprints past opponent to gather loose ball at half back and slots perfect 40m left foot pass from tight on the boundary to teammate running with the flight

Embley does not deserve to be there, very inconsistent season, a half dozen really good games against weak sides then went missing in bigger games. LeCras does not deserve to be on that list either based on this year alone, down from anywhere close to his regular standards.

e: How the hell did Andrew Swallow not make it?

What a joke..

1. Gary Ablett (Gold Coast)
2. Lance Franklin (Hawthorn)
3. Dean Cox (West Coast)
4. Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
5. Chris Judd (Carlton)
6. Travis Cloke (Collingwood)
7. Dane Swan (Collingwood)
8. Darren Glass (West Coast)
9. Marc Murphy (Carlton)
10. Adam Goodes (Sydney)
11. Matthew Boyd (W. Bulldogs)
12. Joel Selwood (Geelong)
13. Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
14. Steve Johnson (Geelong)
15. Stephen Milne (St Kilda)
16. Nick Dal Santo (St Kilda)
17. Josh Kennedy (West Coast)
18. Dale Thomas (Collingwood)
19. Jimmy Bartel (Geelong)
20. Todd Goldstein (N. Melbourne)
21. Andrew Walker (Carlton)
22. Eddie Betts (Carlton)
23. Josh Gibson (Hawthorn)
24. Matthew Scarlett (Geelong)
25. James Kelly (Geelong)
26. Leon Davis (Collingwood)
27. Corey Enright (Geelong)
28. Scott Thompson (Adelaide)
29. Matthew Priddis (West Coast)
30. Nathan Fyfe (Fremantle)
31. Brent Moloney (Melbourne)
32. Ben Reid (Collingwood)
33. Shannon Hurn (West Coast)
34. Sam Fisher (St Kilda)
35. Robert Murphy (W. Bulldogs)
36. Mark LeCras (West Coast)
37. Jack Riewoldt (Richmond)
38. Jobe Watson (Essendon)
39. Ryan Griffen (W. Bulldogs)
40. Andrew Embley (West Coast)
41. Bryce Gibbs (Carlton)
42. Grant Birchall (Hawthorn)
43. Tom Rockliff (Brisbane)
44. Heath Scotland (Carlton)
45. Trent Cotchin (Richmond)
46. Drew Petrie (N. Melbourne)
47. Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn)
48. Simon Black (Brisbane)
49. Barry Hall (W. Bulldogs)
50. Nathan Bock (Gold Coast)

I like him :D

they dont praise him cause they know how good he is going to be. if they start praising him now, they wont be able to do it in the future when he is dominating. Most underrated player in the comp. can play anywhere on the ground. i believe he still has some work to do, like to to see more tackling and running through the ground using his pace and skills. our back line was missing last year due to injuries. but this gave others a chance to progress. batch, conca, grimes have all shown something. Dylan "the fist" Grimes is my favorite. he will explode next year and become a major part of richmonds rise. i can see deledio been pushed back into the midfield.

That is so biased to your narrow minded arguement.

So you say scrap the All Australian, scrap the brownlow, scrap best and fairests. ITS ALL ABOUT GRAND FINAL DAY LOL. We'll see how your tune changes when your team slides.

Nice join date btw.

I know lol.

And I'm just waiting for Geelong to slide, so I can jump off the bandwagon, but it's been 5 years and, lol it hasn't happened yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny. I always think Richmond people over-compensate for Deledio being underrated by running the whole 'Deledio is elite' campaign. He isn't one of the absolute topliners going around but he is very underrated. Should have been All Australian HBF this year and not having him in the top 50 is ridiculous. He suffers from the fact that people think he could be better than he is, while ignoring the good footy he does play. The same can probably be said for Jack Riewoldt in 2011.

Great post - the poor bloke is ridiculously harshly marked has had a better season than about 25-30 guys on that list

You are both wrong and correct - he has a reputation for that which was probably correct several years ago, but he now impacts games a lot more than hes given due credit for. Everytime he was thrown into the guts this year it directly resulted in us having a run on yet not once was this ever mentioned by "experts". All the key indicators show he had a very solid year, gains more distance than just about anyone else, doesnt get goals kicked on him, is elite by foot, and gets more inside 50's than a lot of midfielders let alone HB's. Not only did shutdown roles on players like Embley and Goddard keeping them to 14-15 touches but also dominated them with nearly 30 touches him self both times and yet he doesnt do enough?

Call me biased but barring Scotland, he had a better year off HB than everyone else in the comp including Enright, Davis, Birchell, Murphy. Should have been AA, was robbed

I dont think Lecras should be there or atleast not that high up he had a below par season for his standards
Would WC fans agree or disagree
I do no he had injuries but if that were taken into account Jobe Watson would be top 10

The best list I have seen- Mike sheehans are a joke- creep
moloney a surprise. the tank he is...

love the inclusion of goldstien- has been under-rated all year.

walker a little high?

Fyfe- ripper!

I dont think Lecras should be there or atleast not that high up he had a below par season for his standards
Would WC fans agree or disagree
I do no he had injuries but if that were taken into account Jobe Watson would be top 10
Definitely agree that LeCras is too high. He only missed 3 games though whilst Watson missed a few more and also missed large chunks of a couple of games through injury. I think Tredrea's put LeCras that high because of a combination of LeCras' increased recognition after the last couple of years and the fact that he didn't miss many games.

edit: One of those comments on the article is hilarious. They have a dig at Tredrea in regards to his footballing expertise and then go on to say that they have no idea who Shannon Hurn is.

Darren Glass and Cox way too high for mine. Cox is top 20 for sure though. I dont see why Glass and Scarlett continually get so much praise for their years, i feel they get through on reputation. McPharlin and Gibson had clearly better years than both those two.

No Lids is suprising. Betts maybe 15 spots too high, and LeCras too high as well. Other than that, a lot better list than Mike ' I dont know my ass from my elbow' Sheahan:thumbsu:

That is a PISSTAKE right? Hurn in front of Petrie(amongst others) and no A Swallow. Never rated Tredrea anyway....... On or off the field

That is a PISSTAKE right? Hurn in front of Petrie(amongst others) and no A Swallow. Never rated Tredrea anyway....... On or off the field

Tredrea was THE dominant forward in his time and tore numerous defenders new arseholes. You can slight his off field opinions but on field he is arguably the greatest player in Port's AFL history.

Tredrea was THE dominant forward in his time and tore numerous defenders new arseholes. You can slight his off field opinions but on field he is arguably the greatest player in Port's AFL history.

You're forgetting he did the bow against North, they'll never get over it.

Anyway, no way Reid had a better year than McPharlin or Tarrant. Then again, considering it's 5 pages in and no one has touched on Reid vs Tarrant yet, maybe it's just me

Remove this Banner Ad

Warren Tredreas Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back