Was The AFL Wrong To Get Rid of Fitzroy?

Remove this Banner Ad

dymot

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
They had their chance in 1996 when the Hawthorn Melbourne merger was floated and discussed to get rid of the pea hearted downhill sking squibs known as the shemons then who were already a pathetic and deplorable team on field with little heart and effort then. Not to mention the culture of the club was rooted then with infighting and the need for Diamond Joe to bail them out.

17 years on the Shemons are still a bunch of frontrunning pansy downhill skiiers with no heart and really there is no foreseeable hope for the future. At least the Foldroy Bears played with heart weekly, had supporters who were loyal and keen and did things to ensure the club would stay around in the future (which were canned by the AFL).

So do you think had Fitzroy been allowed to stay afloat and they sent Melbourne to Brisbane we would have a team acting as a complete basketcase like Melbourne in the league still? I bet my right nut that Fitzroy definitely would be more competitive now.

Yes absolutely. Thanks to the draft and salary cap, we would be looking at a ladder with Fitzroy anywhere on it.

No team (with the possible exception of Carlton) should ever be merged or culled, especially not one with 8 premierships and 100 years of history behind them. The AFL's whiteanting of Fitzroy was nothing short of despicable. The competition is poorer for their loss.

Does that mean Fitzroy would have Jack Watts? I'm confused.

Yes, they would have. And he'd have developed into the next Paul Roos, loving the six games a year he plays at Manuka Oval.

The Brisbane Bears would still exist, as would - regrettably - the Melbourne Demons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, probably.

The AFL hurt its image amongst supporters with the way it treated Fitzroy. But it probably enhanced its reputation amongst the board rooms of Australian companies. If the trolls are right, at some point in the future the wheel will turn and the AFL will lose patience with other smaller clubs like my own. I'm not convinced though. Not while media rights money is available... anyone else surprised that Cricket got $600m. That bodes well for AFL next time round.

They had their chance in 1996 when the Hawthorn Melbourne merger was floated and discussed to get rid of the pea hearted downhill sking squibs known as the shemons then who were already a pathetic and deplorable team on field with little heart and effort then. Not to mention the culture of the club was rooted then with infighting and the need for Diamond Joe to bail them out.

17 years on the Shemons are still a bunch of frontrunning pansy downhill skiiers with no heart and really there is no foreseeable hope for the future. At least the Foldroy Bears played with heart weekly, had supporters who were loyal and keen and did things to ensure the club would stay around in the future (which were canned by the AFL).

So do you think had Fitzroy been allowed to stay afloat and they sent Melbourne to Brisbane we would have a team acting as a complete basketcase like Melbourne in the league still? I bet my right nut that Fitzroy definitely would be more competitive now.
The flaw in your little hypothetical is that we were financially sound at the time and the push to "buy out" the Hawks was to nab their best players. It was the Hawks that were floundering and had far more chance replacing Fitzroy as AD's ego experiment at shaping the league and leaving his mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Was The AFL Wrong To Get Rid of Fitzroy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back