List Mgmt. We Have A Bright Future

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't understand this negativity around our list at the moment. I agree that the recruitment department has made an oversight in our KPF stocks, but we are just that one player away before we look close to another top 4 side imo.

Balta - Gibus - Broad
Short - Vlastuin - Rioli
Ross - Taranto - Banks
Baker - Bauer - Rioli Jr
Dusty - Lynch - Cumberland

Nank - Bolton - Hopper

Ryan - Sonsie - Clarke - Brown/Pickett/Young/Grimes/HRS

If that's our starting 22 next season, what's not to like about it?
If thats our starting 22 next year im happy. Not contending but that team is much more forward thinking than this years and worse case we net a quality pick. God this year was a waste.

Part potential, part we know what the best of some of these players can do.

Taranto - Hopper - Bolton as our main midfield mix with Sonsie the one to rotate through, alongside Dusty and Rioli Jr. Is there anything from these players that screams at you as being bad or unfit?

By the way, Rioli Jr had a 20 possessions, 13 tackles, 7 clearance game in the VFL. He gets even 1/2 of those numbers, he's clearly AFL level.

In the forward line, we have Lynch, Dusty and Baker, which we all know the abilities of. Bauer has shown some promising glimpses, and Cumberland has the ability (not even talking about his potential, but his ability shown last season) as long as we get his confidence back, we know the player we have with him.

The backline speaks for itself. I don't think saying that we could have a genuinely elite backline is that controversial, as long as we get our midfield mix correct.

Ryan has clearly shown this season he belongs at AFL level, the same with Clarke.

If we're judging players based off of one game, we might as well have folded as a club at the end of 2016 after that Swans game.

How many times has Rioli hit 20 possessions, or even 15?
It's ok to be optimistic, but let's not jump to conclusions on one game.

AFL site reported Troy Chaplin and Jamie Graham have withdrawn also

Field down to Newman, McQualter, Giansiracusa, Skipworth and King.
the matrix dodging GIF

None of our kids scream out star to me, which is highly concerning.
Clarke and Banks will be good players, but I stress good, nothing more. Who knows, they may be better. I like the way both of them go about it.
Brown is untried so we don't know.
Ryan has the tools, but doesn't strike me as a potential star.
Sonsie, by all reports, has attitude problems, which is why he slid to our pick in the first place.
Cumberland reminds of Alex Sexton from the Suns. Can kick goals, but if he doesn't, he may as well not be there. Plus he isn't really a kid anymore.
MRJ doesn't have any tools other than defensive pressure.
Ralphsmith, just no.
Coulthard looks likely, but need to see more of him.
Gibcus looks great, but who knows now? Missed an entire year with a hamstring.
Just an opinion. You don't have to agree.
Hard to disagree really. Sonsie and Gibcus the ones with the potential but far away from being stars.

Ultimately we are going to have a few years down the bottom to get our chances at the next wave of stars. Just have to nail the picks.

Hard to disagree really. Sonsie and Gibcus the ones with the potential but far away from being stars.

Ultimately we are going to have a few years down the bottom to get our chances at the next wave of stars. Just have to nail the picks.
At least if we bottom out next 2 or 3 years we will get some low picks before Tassie team enters the league and gets handed them for a few drafts.

At least if we bottom out next 2 or 3 years we will get some low picks before Tassie team enters the league and gets handed them for a few drafts.
That’s probably what we need to do. Probably only need 2 years of high end picks if you nail them.

I just don't understand this negativity around our list at the moment. I agree that the recruitment department has made an oversight in our KPF stocks, but we are just that one player away before we look close to another top 4 side imo.

Balta - Gibus - Broad
Short - Vlastuin - Rioli
Ross - Taranto - Banks
Baker - Bauer - Rioli Jr

Nank - Bolton - Hopper

half the teaM CANT KICK TO EACH OTHER

Clarke and Banks will be good players, but I stress good, nothing more. Who knows, they may be better. I like the way both of them go about it.
IMO they don't come across as potential stars because we haven't really seen them being given the opportunity to show their full potential, instead they have been asked to play fringe roles, so we only get glimpses of their talent.
I know some question his recruitment over Van Rooyen but I see Brown being an important player moving forward especially as we transition to a side that looks to use quick accurate ball movement.
Some may not agree but I can see Ryan being a similar player to English at the Dogs but possibly a level or 2 below him.
Sonsie, by all reports, has attitude problems, which is why he slid to our pick in the first place.
While he may have attitude issues, his last month or so at VFL level has been quite sound, which hopefully means he's getting it.
Cumberland reminds of Alex Sexton from the Suns. Can kick goals, but if he doesn't, he may as well not be there. Plus he isn't really a kid anymore.
Probably the one player that has really frustrated me this year, as he had all the potential to be the mid sized goal kicker that were going to be missing once Dusty is gone.
There have been a couple of VFL games that Maurice has played through the midfield that have shown there might be something to work with moving forward.
Ralphsmith, just no.
Disagree with this take, think he can be a handy player on the outside with run and carry.
Agree with this.
I believe we did the right thing by not rushing Josh, kid is still only 20 and allowing him to fully recover was better than rushing him back when the season was effectively shot.

That's my take on the players you mentioned.

I just don't understand this negativity around our list at the moment. I agree that the recruitment department has made an oversight in our KPF stocks,

Balta - Gibus - Broad
Short - Vlastuin - Rioli
Ross - Taranto - Banks
Baker - Bauer - Rioli Jr

Nank - Bolton - Hopper

Most can't kick or do the fundamentals well enough. Many are slow, injury prone? play 2 to 3 ok games per year or at the other end too inexperienced.

Bottom 4 coming up.

How many times has Rioli hit 20 possessions, or even 15?
It's ok to be optimistic, but let's not jump to conclusions on one game.
In 23 VFL games Maurice has had 15+ disposals 9 times, he's also had 5+ tackles 14 times, there is plenty to work with if they're willing to give him a chance move further up the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we trust our recruiting team?

Most can't kick or do the fundamentals well enough. Many are slow, injury prone or at the other end too inexperienced.

Let's go through line by line then.

Balta - Gibcus - Broad
Short- Vlastuin - Rioli
  • Slow? Not particular I would've thought
  • Can't kick? The players we want kicking the ball can kick, and the players we don't expect to by accurate kicks should be told to kick it down the line
  • Too inexperienced/too old? Has a healthy mix of the two
  • Injury prone? Would be a watch on Short, but that's about it
  • Doing the fundamentals? Other than Balta trying to be too cute with his kicks, all our defenders do the fundamentals well

Ross - Taranto - Banks
Nank - Hopper - Bolton
  • Slow? Has a healthy blend of the two. I don't expect Taranto to be receiving a handball and then bursting out of a stoppage with legs, nor do I expect Bolton at the bottom of a stoppage trying to win a contested ball and clearance.
  • Too inexperienced/too old? Banks sure, but the others? Not so much
  • Injury prone? A watch on Hopper, but that's about it
  • Doing the fundamentals? They all do the fundamentals well, I would think

Baker - Bauer - Rioli Jr
  • Slow? lol
  • Too inexperienced/too old? Potentially, yes. But players like Rioli Jr and Cumbo aren't 'inexperienced' per se, just lack confidence at AFL level.
  • Injury prone? Possibly Lynch? But like I flagged in my post, that would be the one area where the recruitment team has overlooked, and should obviously be an area we target in the off season.
  • Doing the fundamentals? Baker yes, Lynch yes, Dusty obviously. Will be a watch on Cumbo and MR Jr.

• This is obviously the part where we look a little thin, and it would be the bench and the next players in. Sonsie is obviously on the too inexperienced part of the pendulum, but with Hopper, Taranto, Dusty, Bolton all supporting through the middle, I feel like Sonsie's inexperience is ok.
  • Same with Clarke and Brown wherever they're picked.

Dont need heaps of top draft picks to be a good side - Hawks arent showing rapid improvement bc of recent super high draft picks and anyway, before the past 3 drafts they pissed away nearly all their top picks. We still have a good list in place, we've just ****ed around by not giving more kids enough games over the past 2 years.

Ralphsmith, just no.
Half the 2026 AA side right there.:thumbsu:

Balta - Gibus - Broad
Short - Vlastuin - Rioli
Ross - Taranto - Banks
Baker - Bauer - Rioli Jr

Nank - Bolton - Hopper

Because 3/4 of that list are the ones spudding things up at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. We Have A Bright Future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back