Roast We need to talk about Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

What gets me is that Williams gets dropped when he plays ok. I was always surprised last year each time he was omitted. Never made sense.
Yep, I just don't get it. Williams has a safe pair of hands, takes a good contested mark and is good defensively. He isn't a quick runner, but he hasn't been caught out yet. He reads the play better than probably 99% of footballers. He makes up for his lack of dash by opening up the play with his vision and exquisite kicking. He's behind more attacking plays than the rest of the defence.

Reckon him over Williams is still the illusion about leg speed and taking a quick small forward. Dont know if Gresham was Lachies direct opponent last night but he kicked 3. He has the potential like we saw against the bombers last year of being the brute Maynard type (minus the sniping). Hard at it good overhead marking and intercept and last night went for a few worm burning passes that sort of came off

As odd as it sounds i want him to play next week against the likes of Walters Switkowski and Frederick. If we have him in the team for leg speed he should keep up with whoever he is responsible for otherwise he will get burnt on the rebound big time. I cant confidently say for an over the back race to goal in a sprint race i would back Williams over Jones or even Burton.

Still a bull in a china shop. Goes at everything at 110%. It worked at junior and SANFL level, he was athletic enough to make it work. It doesn’t at AFL level.

He looks like the back pocket you want. Solid, quick, agile, hard at it.

He showed good form last year and his positioning and willingness to hold shape and maintain his role in defence has been good. He has a solid kick on him. Undoubtedly he has some talent and huge potential. I think his ability to continue to present and maintain his role despite the fumbles and Bronx cheers suggests some mental toughness. It’s hard to keep going for marks when you’re dropping them, confidence must have taken a hit, so that shows some strength there.

Question is - is it just mental application and confidence? Because that can be taught and worked on.

Or is it a lack of coordination and innate game sense that can only be learned and built hours and hours of dedicated work, usually starting at an early age. That’s much harder to fix.

How many games has Lachie played now? I'm prepared to give him a hall pass if it's under 50. His potential upside is huge so it's easy to see why coaches are persisting with him. Was reportedly one of the most improved in preseason, which is yet to translate to AFL level.

Lachie was alright tonight. Understandably tentative early, was interesting to see Goldsack spend a lot of time with in the on-ground warm up. But settled as the game wore on and was clean with the ball.

Laid one huge tackle which unsurprisingly went unrewarded.
Didn’t Essendon get a free kick as well from the same incident?. More baffling decisions from the cheats last night. Particularly the bald headed one. Dixon got shoved out of a marking contest with old baldy side on and 15 metres from the contest. No free.

Didn’t Essendon get a free kick as well from the same incident?. More baffling decisions from the cheats last night. Particularly the bald headed one. Dixon got shoved out of a marking contest with old baldy side on and 15 metres from the contest. No free.

Nosferatu Nicholls genuinely tries to beat us every time.

Dixon get umpired differently to other key forwards.

If a player is stinking things up they need to get dropped and earn their spot back. Otherwise you are ultimately supporting a loser mentality. Make the same decision you would if he was injured. Personally I think Bergman has been ordinary on the wing and should swap.

Nosferatu Nicholls genuinely tries to beat us every time.

Dixon get umpired differently to other key forwards.
Does Dixon get umpired differently because he looks to engage first and consistently. Most other forwards play with some Craft and Nous, get on their bike and work defenders over. It’s like the arm up high tackle draw, umpires will change definition based on the outcome sort by the player playing the ball.

Reckon him over Williams is still the illusion about leg speed and taking a quick small forward. Dont know if Gresham was Lachies direct opponent last night but he kicked 3. He has the potential like we saw against the bombers last year of being the brute Maynard type (minus the sniping). Hard at it good overhead marking and intercept and last night went for a few worm burning passes that sort of came off

As odd as it sounds i want him to play next week against the likes of Walters Switkowski and Frederick. If we have him in the team for leg speed he should keep up with whoever he is responsible for otherwise he will get burnt on the rebound big time. I cant confidently say for an over the back race to goal in a sprint race i would back Williams over Jones or even Burton.
Yeah I reckon speed is the reason why Jones is getting a game instead of Williams.

But give me a clean sure handling player who is a bit slow, over the fastest fumbler in the west.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off topic I know but number 15 - Umpire Matt Nicholls destroyed us again last night. He has a hell of a record of free against us. If you go back over the games he has umpired us, it's pretty disturbing.
Yes. He was getting bagged all night by me and others. Appears to have some real issues with Port for some reason.

Lost to Charlie 2-1 in the drag car racing today. Charlie won the rock-paper-scissors for the faster Mustang in the decider over the quarter mile.

Williams will get his chances as we can't keep giving the sub role to Burgoyne, Jase either needs a full game in the AFL or SANFL next week. And of course injuries will come. But i kind of don't want it to be at the expense of Jones, i think they can both be good players for us in the future. It's like it's clear cut Jones out Williams in for most on here, but i feel they are completely different players. Jones has more pace and plays a bit taller and lockdown than Williams. Williams has the beautiful skills in the Houston and Farrell mould.

Lost to Charlie 2-1 in the drag car racing today. Charlie won the rock-paper-scissors for the faster Mustang in the decider over the quarter mile.
huge if true

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast We need to talk about Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back