We need to talk about Oscar

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd argue Matthew Clarke was the best ruckman we had at the Brisbane Lions, particularly if you include his mid 90s form at the Bears.

He was also the inaugural Merrett-Murray medal winner in 1997.

Underrating JamieCharman. Premiership ruckman 2003 and IMO rucking better than Keating in 2004 until injured. We really missed him in the grand finally if my aging memory is correct.

Definitely above Leuenberg and Clark

Clark played one AA calibre season.
Leuenberger never reached the heights expected (remember Chris Scott's comments on him?)
Agree on Charman though - swapping him for McLaren cost us big time. Charman too was on track to be well and truly in the AA discussion in 2006 (for the squad, at least), until hurting his shoulder against Essendon in the back half of the year. Unfortunately, only two real seasons beyond that, and he had nothing left thereafter.

Llane Spaanderman has been our best ever ruck

Underrating JamieCharman. Premiership ruckman 2003 and IMO rucking better than Keating in 2004 until injured. We really missed him in the grand finally if my aging memory is correct.

Definitely above Leuenberg and Clark

Charman did not look big, but he was made of concrete. He made oppositions look over their shoulder. The whole Nick Riewoldt thing, it was Jamie Charman that took him out first.

Clark Keating AKA Mr September
Stef Martin
Oscar McInerney
Mitch Clark
Matt Leuenberger
Jamie Charman
Beau McDonald
Dylan McLaren

Llane Spaanderman
Joe Daniher >>>> Mitch Clark.

Clark really should’ve been much better than what he achieved in his career. I guess he really was no better than a Rory Lobb.

Oscar’s definitely been our most durable ruck. Doc Clarke the best palmer. Crackers the most influential. Mitch Clark probably had the best single season in the position. Stef the most consistent.
Stef was so out of the blue as well, I remember him playing forward for minimal impact then being swung into the ruck out of necessity and absolutely killing it

Yep. Him and Mal Michael…shafted
How Mal Michael never won one is a joke.

Matty Clarke was the best pure ruckman I think we’ve had and Stef Martin the best around the ground forward. Mitch Clark was the best resting forward although I think he was more a ruck / forward compared to say Joe who is very much a forward / ruck. In terms of our most impactful, it’s obviously hard to go past Clark Keating. I never rated Leuenberger although he seemed to be cruelled by injury. McLaren was the most undersized ruck you’ll ever see. Rookie Darren Clark was the most unhinged. My favourite ruck was probably Charman although Martin wasn’t far behind but Oscar does hold a special place as he’s had to work so hard and really has been pretty consistent and I do love his back story. Will be very deserving being our first ruck to reach 150 games.

Stef was so out of the blue as well, I remember him playing forward for minimal impact then being swung into the ruck out of necessity and absolutely killing it
The weird thing was that he'd done it at Melbourne too but he was just so penciled in as too small to be more than a third choice ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark Keating AKA Mr September
Stef Martin
Oscar McInerney
Mitch Clark
Matt Leuenberger
Jamie Charman
Beau McDonald
Dylan McLaren

Llane Spaanderman
Would probably be about how I would rate them as well. But can see Oscar climbing one or 2 spots higher as well if he keeps playing like he is. Durability might just get him to the top if nothing else

Really disappointed Darcy Fort hasn’t been considered.

Matt Primus would have been a handy pick up
From memory the AFL introduced a special rule for him to get to Port following the Lions Bears merger
He figured he would be behind Matt Clarke and Beau McDonald if he was one of the selected 8

Broc McCauley stiff not to get a mention

Has everyone forgotten the great father/son combo Damian and Jordon Bourke ?

Fwiiw I think Mark Mickan was the best pure ruckman to play for us and IIRC won an AA when at the Bears which was somewhat of an achievement when you look at the top rucks in the AFL at the time

Broc McCauley stiff not to get a mention
Or his running mate Bart McCullough, who I'm pretty sure comes up in one of Fevola's stories where Fev wanted his player number, was told no by Bart, and Fev replied no worries I'll get it after you get delisted at the end of year. Some great team cohesion there. Both of course gone before the next season started!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back