Review Round 13, 2024 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed. Cam's game was selfless team first effort. This is a new Rayner that may just be the makings of him. We have seen how Berry's midfield game has been elevated by the extra responsibility of tagging the opposition's best midfielder.

Well the Rayner progression to an A grade midfielder may also be a tweak to the mindset and given specific non glamorous team first tasks. The interesting thing, which was pointed out to me, in the first half Rayner had the third best "Supecoach" score yet he only recorded eight disposals. That meant he was doing the extra non glamorous team first grunt. May it continue.
The encouraging thing was that it seemed to motivate him to play with more control instead of trying for a miracle.

So there's hope. Learn to keep doing the humdrum contributing team things and build yourself into a stronger more reliable unit.

The continued worry out of this game is Charlie’s form. I’ve said I personally believe he’s lost some of his top end speed, whether that be due to an injury or age (or both) who knows, but we need to be able to still get him into the game when he’s getting nowhere near it like last night. Put him on ball or for a stint off HB to get a couple of cheaper touches. If he can somehow get back to even 80% on previous form in the back half of the year, then we are a chance of sneaking into the 8.

Our on ball brigade was purring like a Rolls Royce engine. Disrupting that by injecting an out of form, out of sorts Charlie in there is like putting contaminated fuel to run the engine. Even the best engines will not run with sandy petrol.

Charlie just needs to find touch soon in his designated role or make way for someone else who could. We know Fagan is very predictable. He is loyal to his established players. Charlie will be carried until he finds touch. Eric last night. Charlie next week(hoping) In conclusion keep Charlie well away from the engine.

Last edited:

Been mentioned 50 times already but Neale, Hipwood and Berry were outstanding.

I also want to give a shout out to Starcevich who isn’t getting many plaudits but was so solid in his return from injury.

I cannot wait to see Ashcroft return alongside Wilmot, Lohmann and Morris. Our younger brigade are showing fantastic signs for the future. Wilmot has become one of our best and most consistent players.

I also felt like we started to see some signs of a return to form for Clug, Rayner and Bailey. When our midfielders are all getting 20+ disposals and you see Rayner and Bailey among the goal kickers with 15+ possessions we usually win.

Andrews, Lester, Zorko, O and Daniher all did their bit. A great team performance all round!
And fletcher!

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

How i saw the win.
Dogs have been in good form the last month even with their injuries.
Only loss was to ladder leaders the Swans with wins against Tigers, GWS & Pies.
We won away.
Our worse quarters have been the 3rd and 4th.
We lost the 3rd but only by 1 point but won the last by 11. So, a 4-quarter effort needed to win games & make the 8.
In the modern game when you have a good lead like 33 points (half time) you need to continue to tick over the scoreboard.
We did that in the 3rd & 4th which stops any momentum run from the opposition.
The coaches got the matchups right.
We took a huge 21 marks inside 50. Our average was 12.7 now 13.4.
Hippy took 7, Daniher 4 & Morris 3 being our top 3
We are a good clearance team (Aver 40.2) but so are the Dogs (38.8)
Lions smashed them 50 to 32 in that area.

The biggest thing was we looked switched on from the beginning and continued that mindset right to the end.
We need to carry this attitude into our next home game v Saints.

How i saw the win.
Dogs have been in good form the last month even with their injuries.
Only loss was to ladder leaders the Swans with wins against Tigers, GWS & Pies.
We won away.
Our worse quarters have been the 3rd and 4th.
We lost the 3rd but only by 1 point but won the last by 11. So, a 4-quarter effort needed to win games & make the 8.
In the modern game when you have a good lead like 33 points (half time) you need to continue to tick over the scoreboard.
We did that in the 3rd & 4th which stops any momentum run from the opposition.
The coaches got the matchups right.
We took a huge 21 marks inside 50. Our average was 12.7 now 13.4.
Hippy took 7, Daniher 4 & Morris 3 being our top 3
We are a good clearance team (Aver 40.2) but so are the Dogs (38.8)
Lions smashed them 50 to 32 in that area.

The biggest thing was we looked switched on from the beginning and continued that mindset right to the end.
We need to carry this attitude into our next home game v Saints.
Kai Lohmann could have taken another 3-4 marks inside 50 too if he didn’t have concrete hands last night.

Kai Lohmann could have taken another 3-4 marks inside 50 too if he didn’t have concrete hands last night.

Kai's been great this year but this was a performance out of his first two years - seemed a bit rushed/flustered, thinking about what he was going to do next rather than focusing on the moment.

Still offered good pressure and defensive aptitude, but bit of a reminder to him to focus on the basics and the flashy things will come.

Top performance and very satisfying for any Lions supporters who were at the ground and had to deal with the Bulldog supporters. They were insufferable.

Hipwood what a game. 13 marks !! So many strong contested marks as well. To the Bulldog supporter who called him Sh!twood after his first goal and then left after he kicked his 5th - well done Eric :)

Berry has really lifted his game this year. Agree with many others looks so much better on ball and we win so many more centre clearances with him in there. He was brilliant last night.

Neale still proving when he isn't being tagged or isn't banged up that he is still top 5 best players in the comp. Probably best player below his knees.

McCluggage destroyed them in first half. Thank god he is with us for another 7 years.

Wilmot again did so well off half back with his run.McKenna was also very good.

Morris keeps impressing and really backs himself to win the ball or take the mark.

Also credit to Big O who had a cracking game. English is soft as butter.

Only negative for me was Charlie who looks like he has checked out. I hope it's not the case. I actually had to check if he wasn't a late out after first qtr as he wasn't sighted.

Onwards and upwards Lions.

Watching the Kayo mini back, Morris had two direct goal assists and just missed out on two others because Joe handballed to lohmann in the square and kai kicked inboard to hippy (not a guarantee, would have been a 50-50 shot for Kai).

If a few things had happened differently Morris could easily have a 12 disposal, 3 goal and 4 goal assist game which is frankly quite absurd.

I also believe with the new interpretation of the rules we did well with the umpires
That is a lottery so I’ll take it when it’s there.
I think it was noticeable that our boys were handballing to space pretty regularly when they got tackled. It didn’t make us better or worse, but it did keep the game moving which is the intent. Much better than taking the ball to ground for a stoppage, or risking htb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the Kayo mini back, Morris had two direct goal assists and just missed out on two others because Joe handballed to lohmann in the square and kai kicked inboard to hippy (not a guarantee, would have been a 50-50 shot for Kai).

If a few things had happened differently Morris could easily have a 12 disposal, 3 goal and 4 goal assist game which is frankly quite absurd.

AFL player ratings for the game - Morris 5th:

1717808647495.png

Check out how many times he just trails in behind the opposition ball carrier running at 8/10 speed. He needs to understand that his roll is pressure. He goes at 10/10 speed when it looks like he can get it but he trots along passively when he doesn't.....too much time playing with joe will do that.
That’s not what I have seen
He’s been doing pretty good at getting back in defence and pressure acts.
Plenty before him that are not as good at this .

Outstanding how Berry in the middle has changed our dynamic. Him, Dunks & Lachie gives us the size to not get brushed aside. His defensive game frees Dunks up to play footy to his ability. Gives Hugh a more outside role, which is his strength.

Also gives Cam the role - fill in mid/high half forward - that he needs.

Logan Morris does things that take your breath away. Young Stevie J.

Hippy cops so much undeserved crap around here. Can never be accused of less than total effort. It all came together last night. Essential player.

Motty got my last vote. Becoming a star.

Charlie not in the goals but the effort and pressure was there.

Great team effort - not a passenger.

Been mentioned 50 times already but Neale, Hipwood and Berry were outstanding.

I also want to give a shout out to Starcevich who isn’t getting many plaudits but was so solid in his return from injury.

I cannot wait to see Ashcroft return alongside Wilmot, Lohmann and Morris. Our younger brigade are showing fantastic signs for the future. Wilmot has become one of our best and most consistent players.

I also felt like we started to see some signs of a return to form for Clug, Rayner and Bailey. When our midfielders are all getting 20+ disposals and you see Rayner and Bailey among the goal kickers with 15+ possessions we usually win.

Andrews, Lester, Zorko, O and Daniher all did their bit. A great team performance all round!
Agree

Most of what is to say has been said, but a few extra thoughts.

That Rayner handball where he just delayed the release and managed to nail Wilmot at full speed to release him is the absolute class he has and why so many on here want him in the midfield. He is surprisingly good at bailing a perfect handball out of congestion, I have seem him do it a few times in the forward line over the journey. He does tend to need more of a 2v2 style situation for that, rather then a 5v5 midfield style congestion. Hopefully he learns how to transition it at some stage.

All our half / small forwards provided good pressure last night I thought. Probably went Rayner > Lohmann > Bails > Cameron in terms of impact, but the latter 3 still had 4 tackles each which shows they are getting involved even having quietish games. We still have moments where after bad turnovers our half forwards give up on the play, but we seem to be doing well to orchestrate Andrews as a spare sweeper which was mentioned on the commentary last night. Even when McKenna had a few howlers, Andrews was still back for cover.

The other player I'll give a shout out to was the Big O. Not sure what has changed in his mind but there has been a noticable improvement in his tap work. Plus instead of just blindly trying to clear congestion with big 20m handballs, he's been bringing it down and trying to give the little ones to someone closer in. His next improvement will be to try to give off the little handball and put blocks on so the better users can get the ball inside 50 when he takes marks / wins free kicks 70m+ from goals.

Last thing was how great is Revilles spear tackles? Absolutely shit mixed West and saw him go for a few others around the ground too. Even inspired Rayner to go for one late game too!

Check out how many times he just trails in behind the opposition ball carrier running at 8/10 speed. He needs to understand that his roll is pressure. He goes at 10/10 speed when it looks like he can get it but he trots along passively when he doesn't.....too much time playing with joe will do that.
Incredible how you managed to turn this into yet another sledge against Joe.

Kai's been great this year but this was a performance out of his first two years - seemed a bit rushed/flustered, thinking about what he was going to do next rather than focusing on the moment.

Still offered good pressure and defensive aptitude, but bit of a reminder to him to focus on the basics and the flashy things will come.

He did have three goal assists though so I don’t think he was actually that poor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 13, 2024 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Back