Review Round 13, 2024 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, and also Morris has been such a surprise up forward. Blown away all expectations and has actually made that 3 tall setup look good again after Gardiner went down. Just seems to have such great game sense.
The one where Clugga come streaming through the centre to then hit Morris with a pass and he then instinctively turned and hit Hipwood out the back with a 55m pass was absolutely beautiful.
If that was Gardiner who got that ball earlier in the year he would have stopped and waited for others to role forward so it’s great that he had the instincts to go.
He has a footy brain that’s for sure.

Last edited:

I think we adjusted really well to the new rules which helped us avoid a lot of HTB calls.

Biggest indication was seeing Harris get the ball and immediately dish it off instead of faking an attempt and getting the ball thrown up.

It really helped us keep the ball alive and we actually have skilful enough players to work the ball out. It’ll force us to play more like a Collingwood where they try and keep the ball alive at all costs.

On top of Logan’s two goal assists, he had potential for four of them with his beautiful centred snap to Joe in the goal square which was handed off and another kick to Lohmann in good position who passed it off to Eric for his sixth.

I can’t believe we’ve picked up such a talent in a year with a poor draft hand.

Just an aside on defence and how to play defence..... How many goals are scored when defensive players seek to keep the ball alive in the goal square but just manage to provide a loose ball for the other teams forwards to prey upon. Every game you see defenders fumble a mark or loose ball that gets snapped for a goal. I can't believe teams aren't instructed to handball the ball through if theres even the hint of pressure being applied. The rules allow for it and there's virtually no downside apart from the other team score a point. The reward is basically a free kick to the defending team and the chance to restart their attack with a clean ball.
Jack Payne had one last night. competing in a one on one 5 meters out he went to defend when the correct play should have been tapping the ball over the crossbar and being rewarded with a free kick usually 25 meters out and executed by your best designated kicker.........It's a no brainer really...just smash it over the goal line and be rewarded with a free kick

I think the biggest difference from Hipwood is that he used his length. His effort has been there for the most part this season but he kept trying to chest mark everything and obviously getting beaten as that’s u12 stuff. I don’t recall him going for the chest mark at all last night in a contest. Arms out stretched and it’s going to be almost impossibly for anyone to defend that.

Enjoyable game to attend. Thought before the game our biggest asset was bulldog inconsistency. That wasn't a factor. Been mentioned a few times but the play by mcclucage to morris to hipwood was different class. Thought we had it in the bag with the goal on half time siren. 8th place still a possibility?

watching morris move last night i wonder if we are pigeon holing him a bit by just thinking of him as a forward.... so agile for a kpp height player. im seeing a hybrid of cripps, bontempelli and curnow here folks.
So, what you're saying, he will be the GOAT. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredibly impressed by Morris, wouldn't surprise me if the club feels we've got something here. 8 goals from 5 games is a great return for a first year. I had a look back to 2022 and there was a period where McStay kicked only 6 goals in 9 games. That's a large chunk of the season.

Lohmann has 15 from 10 as well for a similar return. His biggest strength for mine is how far back he tracks, very often you see him bop up in the backline to affect the game. Our forward line has always been our biggest strength in the Fagan era and it seems it'll continue for a while to come.

The selection headaches in 2025 is going to be the worst headaches the club's had since the golden years, the kids have shone this year but spots are going to be hard to come by. You already have to include Ashcroft x2 & Kiddy immediately. That's 3 spots without including Doedee as a 4th. Good luck match commitee.

What do you get when you mix the marking and ability to read the ball of Bradshaw, the agility of Jeremy cameron and the footy iq of king gunners

1717817627128.jpeg

What do you get when you mix the marking and ability to read the ball of Bradshaw, the agility of Jeremy cameron and the footy iq of king gunners

View attachment 2013706

I feel like Morris wouldn't be having the success he is without the example set by King Gunners last year. Our players would have NO IDEA how to play through such a unique type of player.

King Gunners' legacy unmatched at the Lions.

I feel like Morris wouldn't be having the success he is without the example set by King Gunners last year. Our players would have NO IDEA how to play through such a unique type of player.

King Gunners' legacy unmatched at the Lions.

His legacy will last generations

Yeah poor Charlie ,wasn’t getting near it
Got to break free a bit earlier,not sure
Rayner did pretty good I thought
Nothing out of the ordinary but looked like he was involved and had more than a few moments
That was what should be expected,his baseline, still had a good game.

The biggest surprise was starce
Thought it was one of his best and tbh I had gone off him,another great game.
Hippie, game winning performance along with Locke.
Answerth for McKenna next week.
The only downer for the team was in the game earlier being 💩 inside fifties
Turned that around thankfully.
lohmann had dirty slippery hands but still had a great team game, I think a little underrated
Still think Sharp would have been good for us with bez in midfield
Pissing in the wind there.
I also believe with the new interpretation of the rules we did well with the umpires
That is a lottery so I’ll take it when it’s there.
We were the better side unmistakable for sure
Great win
In his press conference Fagan said he thought McKenna was pretty good. I was with you I thought he was a little below average.

watching morris move last night i wonder if we are pigeon holing him a bit by just thinking of him as a forward.... so agile for a kpp height player. im seeing a hybrid of cripps, bontempelli and curnow here folks.
Nah, Browny I reckon .

That Rugba League training through the week payed off for BRUuuuuuuuuCE!

This literally happened

200.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 13, 2024 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Back