Official Club Stuff Wearing our prison bar guernsey for a home final

Remove this Banner Ad

essendon and richmond clash

As someone who's been watching them in rain and mud for years, one is a yellow sash, one is a bright red one - rarely confuse the two (even at Windy Hill in the mud)

As I mentioned earlier, the difference is while some (like me) only want change when its too hard to tell the two apart, some (Mark Evans) want two very different kits for the two teams these days

Surely it would put to bed all this not being the same club shit though

That shit's already been put to bed.

The only people who don't get it will never get it, because they've chosen not to.

Surely it would put to bed all this not being the same club shit though
We got told that the one club would alienate non Port SANFL supporters.
Now the same people, and make no mistake it is the same people and only the same people, are having another go.
They were miles wrong then and are miles wrong again.

**** em.

Yep and we won the fight because we made them reverse the decision on us having to wear our away strip. The AFL are wrong and Evans has admiited that there is a fault in their policy on clash strips. Make no mistake we won the fight. I wonder how you would feel if they did it to your club.
Wouldn't care. We turn up, play, and win. A reasonable strategy which has given us 11 flags since the war, which is more than anyone else with a VFL then AFL background (yes, I'm well aware of Port's 36 SANFL flags, and don't think they should be downgraded in any way - no discrimination here, I'm Tasmanian, I hate all mainlanders equally - but I'd also bet the teams that achieved these were more focussed on the footy and less on the fashion, much like King Carey says your lower eight final bound mob need to be this weekend)...

Wouldn't care. We turn up, play, and win. A reasonable strategy which has given us 11 flags since the war, which is more than anyone else with a VFL then AFL background (yes, I'm well aware of Port's 36 SANFL flags, and don't think they should be downgraded in any way - no discrimination here, I'm Tasmanian, I hate all mainlanders equally - but I'd also bet the teams that achieved these were more focussed on the footy and less on the fashion, much like King Carey says your lower eight final bound mob need to be this weekend)...

You know that's bullshit. A club's home jumper is an icon and as much a part of a home ground as the grass. Tell me how many Victorian 'traditional' clubs would have given in to wearing their clash jumper in their home final? 'King Carey' lost all his honour in a toilet

I'm reading Ross Oakley's book at the moment, and he tells of how the VFL had to acquire ownership of the identities of the clubs in the mid-80's, including names, nicknames and colours of teams. This was the best way to head off breakaway comps and the like, as people such as John Elliott were threatening to do...

So purely a devil's advocay question here, because my first response to the initial news after thinking "so what" was "do they have any grounds to stand on here?". Having read this book, where he essentially says every VFL/AFL club identity is the property of, and under the control of, the AFL Commission, it made me wonder how the Big Four get away with their guernsey stances, never mind this story then appearing...?

If this is true, it doesn't sound like a battle has really been won - it's the AFL being nice...!

I'm reading Ross Oakley's book at the moment, and he tells of how the VFL had to acquire ownership of the identities of the clubs in the mid-80's, including names, nicknames and colours of teams. This was the best way to head off breakaway comps and the like, as people such as John Elliott were threatening to do...

So purely a devil's advocay question here, because my first response to the initial news after thinking "so what" was "do they have any grounds to stand on here?". Having read this book, where he essentially says every VFL/AFL club identity is the property of, and under the control of, the AFL Commission, it made me wonder how the Big Four get away with their guernsey stances, never mind this story then appearing...?

If this is true, it doesn't sound like a battle has really been won - it's the AFL being nice...!

Tell that to Eddie...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After I get up off the floor where I collapsed to after breaking out in uproarious laughter on reading that, no, the AFL are not being nice, they are taking the line of least resistance. I see from the way you have written your post that you ask a reasonable question in a reasonable way but I think we both know that not all footy supporters are like that. The AFL will treat clubs who have smaller followings like doggy-doo and do their best for the ones with the large followings. I'm not talking about memberships where we trail you minimally, I'm talking about the Val Morgan TV polls where the Swans are top with 2 million and we are in the bottom 5.
When you played Adelaide under lights there was a clash(technically), they have a dark strip and you have a dark strip but the AFL did not even insist you wear the clash strip. Adelaide are up towards the top of those ratings I spoke of. They also don't have a light-coloured cash strip.
The AFL policy on clash strips is ridiculous. They make sure yours meets some kind of percentage of light colour but playing against the original or the clash strip makes no difference to the players or to the view on TV.

When you see it...

20j5wmh.jpg

Port are the last team who should be banging on about sacred jumpers, considering the horrific display of Power guernseys that could be created if someone had the wall space and enough picture frames...
At least we don't hold the Comic Book Guy award for "worst jumper ever".

Port are the last team who should be banging on about sacred jumpers, considering the horrific display of Power guernseys that could be created if someone had the wall space and enough picture frames...
You do realise the problem is that we have been forced to do so BECAUSE of the perceived sanctity of OTHER teams guernseys. Or maybe you are a little bit slow and don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you mean these ones?

upload_2014-9-3_18-6-14.jpeg upload_2014-9-3_18-6-28.jpeg

Edit - just found some more :)

upload_2014-9-3_18-24-31.jpeg
images

Last edited:
watched the video re the jumpers being made and saw the number 44 ;)

Well spotted ... guess we'll find out tomorrow night... they still have to have one on hand for the emergencies !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's sorta the point.

We had a sacred guernsey that we were forced to shelve to placate Collingwood (the one we're wearing Sunday, as it happens). Everything since was a compromise, that was until a 9 year old girl designed an excellent guernsey as part of a junior competition and it was so beloved there was a supporter-driven rebrand.

That's why the current home guernsey is so highly regarded. Not only is it a strong, striking strip, it has a real grass roots story behind it - it wasn't presented as a fait accompli because some ponytailed marketing nubrubber said it would test well with children (see Brisbane's bizarre paddlepop lion rebrand).

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Wearing our prison bar guernsey for a home final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back