Weight Training: For Beginners - Critique my program/Q & A

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Weight Training Program

i would say the fundamentals do change though...if you're benching properly (elbows in, scapula tucked in etc) then on a smith machine you'd be benching to your rib cage in a straight line, not in a slight curve like you should

- I don't know anyone who benches to their ribs....maybe close-grip but not chest pressing. Personally i bench to the throat,or slightly lower sometimes

- elbows tucked in? why? then it becomes a tricep exercise...? Do you tuck your elbows in when you dumbell press...?!!! I'm thinking no...

- if the rom isn't too large then benching in a smith machine is perfectly natural and targets exactly what it is we are trying to target

I'll be honest with you, i think there are some opinions flying around in here that aren't backed up by heavy lifting experience. Lots of "well a bio-mechanics expert says this" background to some of the posts, and also some "bodybuilding.com/flex magazine" type posts.

I don't know anyone who benches to their ribs....maybe close-grip but not chest pressing. Personally i bench to the throat,or slightly lower sometimes

if you done the correct technique on a smith machine, that's what would happen, i didn't say i did it...you should start above your nose and in a slight curve lower to yoyur nipples and back up and over to the starting position

elbows tucked in? why? then it becomes a tricep exercise...? Do you tuck your elbows in when you dumbell press...?!!! I'm thinking no...

elbows tucked into 45 degrees, not right in

I'll be honest with you, i think there are some opinions flying around in here that aren't backed up by heavy lifting experience. Lots of "well a bio-mechanics expert says this" background to some of the posts, and also some "bodybuilding.com/flex magazine" type posts.

well we don't all need to post our numbers to make us sound good...how do you that any of us don't lift heavy? what's heavy?

if you done the correct technique on a smith machine, that's what would happen, i didn't say i did it...you should start above your nose and in a slight curve lower to yoyur nipples and back up and over to the starting position

elbows tucked into 45 degrees, not right in

well we don't all need to post our numbers to make us sound good...how do you that any of us don't lift heavy? what's heavy?

I guess heavy is when you get to the point where you lift certain weight, trying to do it 'the correct way' and your brain and joints say 'this aint right' and you naturally adjust to whatever is right. None of this matters much at lighter/medium weights

just my 2 cents

btw why should you start above the nose and lower down to the nipple area? How is that defined as 'natural' ?Might be natural for you, but i would struggle with that movement,particularly at heavy weights. Seems to me on the pressing up part of the movement, all that is stopping the bar from tipping over the back of your head or into the rails is a very small part of your shoulders,and maybe your lats...i cringe when i think of benching 160kg with that movement.

if your back is sore from deads then:

a) your lifting with it too much by raising your bum up before anything else then simply finishing by extending the lumbar spine making a "2 part' movement...you need to tense up the entire body and raise your head/torso up and bring your hips foward at the same time

or;

b) not finihsding through the hips where you'll simply lean back through the lumbar spine (hyperextension - a big no, no for lower back health) instead of finishing with the glutes

or;

c) not creating intrabdominal pressure before initiating the lift where you brace your core as hard as you can (think trying to push a shit out - don't though, it's embarrassing) which gives your lower back something to "push against" for a lack of better term

or;

d) all of them

which one do you think it is?

When I say 'sore' I only mean DOMs in the erector, which I believe is always going to happen after first few times deadlifting..as it will be working.
My form is probably not perfect, and it's probably a combination of the mentioned above...apart from the intra-abdominal pressure, as my core would be kicking in automatically i would think.

Personally I bench free weights and squat In the smith and free weights, It depends how I'm feeling but since i workout legs twice a week I normally do one day on the smith and the second free weights, people should do whatever works for them.

Hows this for a program? Advice would be appreciated:

Monday: chest, triceps, shoulders
BB bench
Flys
Cable crossover (cant do dips as there is not dips bars)
Tricep pushdown
One arm tricep extension (DB and in lying)
DB shoudler press
Lateral raises

Tuesday: Back, biceps, legs
Lat pulldown
Db rows
Shoulder shrugs
Deadlifts
Hammer curls
BB curls
Squats
Occasionally calf work, but rarely.

Then cardio/ day off on wednesday, then back repeating the other days. So 2 days on 1 day off.

Do people think calves get a good enough workout during squats? Calves require a lot of volume to build up and i just get frustrated.

To whomb: what are the best gyms in geelong or bellarine area?

Are you doing much for your wrist? I find that if you are lifting heavy weights regularly it it good to stengthen both the anterior and posterior compartments of the forearm (extensors and flexors) to ensure you have good isometric strength to keep your wrist locked.

Are you doing much for your wrist? I find that if you are lifting heavy weights regularly it it good to stengthen both the anterior and posterior compartments of the forearm (extensors and flexors) to ensure you have good isometric strength to keep your wrist locked.

what exercises will help strengthen the flexors and extensors?

i'm positive all the exercises he's already doing will do that

oh and 70% of your muscle mass is on your lower body but you do 2 exercise for that and 12 for the other 30%????

i'm positive all the exercises he's already doing will do that

oh and 70% of your muscle mass is on your lower body but you do 2 exercise for that and 12 for the other 30%????

What do you suggest?

I'm not gonna waste time with leg extensions or hamstring curls. I could add in lunges/leg press, but my quads, hammys and glutes are already fatigued from the deadlifts and squats. I know it is only 2 exercises, but they are 2 very good exercises for the lower body.

Anyone get forearm pain when bicep curling with a supinated forearm (wrist up)?

Because it doesn't feel like a stiff facet joint. It feels muscular and when I palpate or stretch my erector spinnae it is sore. And it isn't the deep muscles like multifidus or iliocostalis.
Plus erector is going to be the primary muscle worked in the lower back during a deadlift.

Could be QL.

What do you suggest?

I'm not gonna waste time with leg extensions or hamstring curls. I could add in lunges/leg press, but my quads, hammys and glutes are already fatigued from the deadlifts and squats. I know it is only 2 exercises, but they are 2 very good exercises for the lower body.

Anyone get forearm pain when bicep curling with a supinated forearm (wrist up)?
yes i get forearm pain when using a flat bar.
try using an Ezi-bar instead it changes the position of the grip and for me is a more natural movement. i also get pains when doing chins on a flat bar but luckily my jump has a curved place to do them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

try using an Ezi-bar instead it changes the position of the grip and for me is a more natural movement. i also get pains when doing chins on a flat bar but luckily my jump has a curved place to do them

Yeah good thinking. I'm pretty sure it's called ulnar stress syndrome. If you are a right hander, i'm guessing you get it worse on the left forearm? I do.

wat are the best splits to do?
by this i mean which muscles to work together ont he same days?
e.g back and shoulders on a monday
chest and arms on tuesday
etc.
thanks in advance :thumbsu:

here's my top 3 options:

option 1

mon - full body
tue - off
wed - upper
thu - lower
fri - off
sat - full body
sun - off

option 2

mon - lower
wed - upper
fri - lower
sat - upper

option 3

full body every 2nd day

not into bodypart splits, they don't make sense to me

here's my top 3 options:

option 1

mon - full body
tue - off
wed - upper
thu - lower
fri - off
sat - full body
sun - off

option 2

mon - lower
wed - upper
fri - lower
sat - upper

option 3

full body every 2nd day

not into bodypart splits, they don't make sense to me

That really depends on your goals and what you do weights for etc.

What's a good split for my mate who has come back to gym after a 5 month break, he wants to go around 4 or 5 times a week and he wont do any starting strength workouts

Dumbbells are even better for a more natural range of motion. Straight bars are evil.

That really depends on your goals and what you do weights for etc.

not really...if i wanted to get big, lose fat or gain strength i'd do the same split i reckon except:

get big - eat more food and increase the work volume
lose fat - do more conditioning work and eat slightly less food
get stronger - lift in lower rep ranges (i do all the time anyway)

i don't need no bodybuilding/muscle splitting program to do that

Hey everyone,

I go gym Mon/Wed/Fri. This is my rountine:

Session 1 - Squats,Benchpress,Deadlifts
Session 2 - Squats,Shoulder Press, Lat Pulls

I do it like this: On monday i will do session 1 and on wednesday do session 2. So one week I would be doing session 1 twice and session 2 once then the next week i would be doing session 2 twice and session 1 once, alternating like that. If that makes sense.

Been going to gym for almost 2 months now.

About halfway through i added dumbells( exercise like benchpress but using two dumbells... unsure of the name for that) to the session 2. So it would be squats, dumbells, shoulder presses and lat pulls.

I was 79Kg and now i way 83kg. So im pretty happy with the progress.

My main focus is my core strength. Im no expert by far but if anyone has any more advice i could use for the routine I do I would be all ears.

Remove this Banner Ad

Weight Training: For Beginners - Critique my program/Q & A

Remove this Banner Ad

Back