News Welcome to Carlton - Andrew Collins

Remove this Banner Ad

Has been told his role this year is as a high half forward, kicking the ball inside 50, and to hit the scoreboard. Pretty predictable, but confirmation i spose.

I wonder Collins could be the one to take over from Houlihan in the long term as a defensive half forward. Houla was excellent last year but isn't going to be around for too much longer so I wouldn't mind Andy being groomed for that role.

We saw Walker play the role quite well against Sydney in the elimination final but if he's to play up forward I'd rather it be in an attacking role rather than a defensive one.

Who gets picked first out of Collins and Mitch Robinson?

Who gets picked first out of Collins and Mitch Robinson?

I'd suspect Mitch. .. AC will need to earn his stripes and Mitch's readiness to run through walls for the team has him in high regard atm. ..

OR

Mitch because AC doesn't get picked, he just plays. .. ;)

I'm still struggling to see where Collins can get a game at this stage. With Eddie, Garlett, Yarran, Waite and Hendo, there's really only one spot left up forward, and thats going to be fought over by Walker, Houllihan and maybe even White and Lucas in 2010. He'd need to play some sort of midfield role, and looks to be about 12 months away from recovering physically enough from the negative impact of being at Richmond for several years.

:)

I reckon Mitch might be headed to the midfield with the way he's improved his endurance since last season.

As Robbo's Buddy for the 2011 season, this is the move I see that can take his game to the next level. He has the hardness and the tenacity but does he have the skills and smarts?

In time he will get his endurance up and it may be this year that we see his true value. If he can get his endurance up and can feed the ball to our outside mids as well as providing that tackle pressure we may have a player.

As Robbo's Buddy for the 2011 season, this is the move I see that can take his game to the next level. He has the hardness and the tenacity but does he have the skills and smarts?

In time he will get his endurance up and it may be this year that we see his true value. If he can get his endurance up and can feed the ball to our outside mids as well as providing that tackle pressure we may have a player.

From what I've seen so far of Mitch this preseason, it has been very impressive. He will be in front of Collins who is injured, but it will be great competition when he is fit for Robbo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Blues were split into two groups for a torturous modified beep test that involved speed and endurance at the start of the solid session.

And the recruiters were satisfied when former Tiger Andrew Collins topped his class, while renowned time-trialler Andrew Walker took the honours in the other group

that said AC is a fitness freak like Tex, lets hope he plays a similar game to tex when he runs out in the navy blue his first time

I don't know if it was just a bit of shock from being traded, but Andy sounded and looked almost scared when they first interviewed him following his trade to Carlton. He looked a lot more relaxed and confident in this interview though, which is great to see.

I don't know if it was just a bit of shock from being traded, but Andy sounded and looked almost scared when they first interviewed him following his trade to Carlton. He looked a lot more relaxed and confident in this interview though, which is great to see.

When he was first traded I imagine Andy couldn't believe his luck at landing at such a professional enviroment knowing he will be playing with blokes like Judd, Murphy and Kruezer and co

When he was first traded I imagine Andy couldn't believe his luck at landing at such a professional enviroment knowing he will be playing with blokes like Judd, Murphy and Kruezer and co

I think it was more the shock and stress of trying to find a way into the side after just breaking into the tiger line up...!

The Blues were split into two groups for a torturous modified beep test that involved speed and endurance at the start of the solid session.

And the recruiters were satisfied when former Tiger Andrew Collins topped his class, while renowned time-trialler Andrew Walker took the honours in the other group

that said AC is a fitness freak like Tex, lets hope he plays a similar game to tex when he runs out in the navy blue his first time

Do you know what he "topped his class" in?

You won't die wondering if he gives it all, young Andy. A few other comments relating to previous posters
- I'd agree that Mitch would have Andys spot at the moment.
- Andy is not what i call defensive forward. not that because it wasn't asked of him at the Tiges, but he doesn't have the hip and upper body strength to lay good tackles.
- He was intended to develop a tank and play midfield, but that has yet to come.

You've something to work tho...

Let's hope Collins ISNT like Walker who after 8 seasons or so and 100 games still doesnt have a clear role in the team and whose place in the best 22 isnt confirmed yet.

I get your point, in that Walker hasn't reach his potential (mainly due to injury and lack of development both caused by the dark years) but if AC ends up a 8year 100game player, then I'd be reasonably happy with his contribution. .. He comes in raw and as a token in a one sided trade, if all he is is quality depth, especially midfield depth, then I wont mind too much at all. ..

There was an element of shock and dismay when Walker actually beat Collins in the beep test yesterday.
Whispers of the recording machine being at failure came to naught as the stark reality of the Collins defeat hit home.
Heads were bowed and tears flowed freely as the impossible became possible.

Questions will be asked and copious amounts of time will be used to analyze this anomaly in sport.
Let's just hope that the answer will be found and that we never again see, "The day that Collins was defeated"

hehe. .. all good, news just in: AC wasn't defeated he chose to stop to avoid a catastrophic perpetual motion event from occurring. ..

I get your point, in that Walker hasn't reach his potential (mainly due to injury and lack of development both caused by the dark years) but if AC ends up a 8year 100game player, then I'd be reasonably happy with his contribution. .. He comes in raw and as a token in a one sided trade, if all he is is quality depth, especially midfield depth, then I wont mind too much at all. ..

Fair enough. I guess as a 4-5 year player traded in we'd do well to get that out of him.

Collins looks so skinny out there!

There was an element of shock and dismay when Walker actually beat Collins in the beep test yesterday.
Whispers of the recording machine being at failure came to naught as the stark reality of the Collins defeat hit home.
Heads were bowed and tears flowed freely as the impossible became possible.

Questions will be asked and copious amounts of time will be used to analyze this anomaly in sport.
Let's just hope that the answer will be found and that we never again see, "The day that Collins was defeated"

As is the way up here when the news broke, children were kept inside and all mirrors covered with black cloth. :club:

Wow, if someone with Collin's limited endurance can win his group, there needs to be some hard yards done by all at Carlton before the NAB Cup starts.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Welcome to Carlton - Andrew Collins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back