"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Go argue with these types of people then.

You're referring to farming. Culture is different.
The Indigenous culture is over 65,000 years.
Not sure why you keep saying that. Maybe you're trying to say Indigenous people were uncivilised even though they had complex custom and lore and an intimate knowlege and control of their environment and a wide range of medicines .

You're referring to farming. Culture is different.
The Indigenous culture is over 65,000 years.
Not sure why you keep saying that. Maybe you're trying to say Indigenous people were uncivilised even though they had complex custom and lore and an intimate knowlege and control of their environment and a wide range of medicines .

I'm referring to these...

There are components/characteristics required to be considered a civilization.

You can't deny that at least some are getting turned off by things like welcome to country before games and acknowledgement of country before meetings. The question is: are those people all going to die off, or will people still be getting annoyed in fifty years' time?
Or will it still be going in fifty years’ time?

I'm referring to these...

There are components/characteristics required to be considered a civilization.
Ok time to move on, nothing to do with Welcome to Country.

Captain Cook had many agendas in coming to the other side of the world. Scientific, adventure, exploration and keeping the British Empire as the pre eminent place it was. Every nation and people’s on earth from the tribal to the empirical was about this. I don’t see any problem with Cook, he is one of the most important and remarkable men to have ever lived. We wouldn’t have the country we have without him.
I don’t mind acknowledging Aboriginal cultures and histories, but I would be a hypocrite if I weren’t grateful for the fact that me and my ancestors also moved here, like the aboriginal’s did before my ancestors. Progress has always come to all parts of the earth. You progress or you get left behind. We are all very lucky it was the British people who pioneered this land because English Common Law is still the most progressive and most just and merciful of all systems yet devised. We wouldn’t even have football and the best lifestyle in the world without it.
Have to agree with this … maybe we can ask the canary islanders about Spanish colonisation …

oh wait..

The racist posters have arrived.
And the usual suspects flock in to dilute the issue of ‘ WTC ‘ and muddy the waters of commonsense conversation with mindless word drool.

It’s not helpful..no matter how passionate you are about it all.

Why is there even an issue?
Why do you constantly answer questions with a question?

How about you say what you mean ..what you believe on certain “ sensitive subjects”

Even though you run the joint, you’re really just another poster with an opinion that is just as valid as anyone else’s.

I peeves me that you’re always on the fence trying to encourage arguments.

It’s been going on for years mate.

And the usual suspects flock in to dilute the issue of ‘ WTC ‘ and muddy the waters of commonsense conversation with mindless word drool.

It’s not helpful..no matter how passionate you are about it all.
The WTC is not up to the bigfooty posters, it's an Indigenous people thing.
It won't be stopped or altered unless they want it to so get used to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Revisionist history was what I got taught at school, Aboriginal Australians had assimilated with the rest of the population and we lived happily side by side more or less, all to the tune of current hit song Living next Door To Alan by Kevin Wilson.
What school taught that?

I went to school from 80s onwards, and no one ever taught me anything but that we had displaced aborigines.
There was no cover up or truth untold.

In fact I grew up understanding that Victoria had genocided the aborigines, which was why I never saw any, except when we would drive through st Kilda

That was exaggerated I found out much later

What he said counters the biggest criticism "I was born here why do I need to be welcomed to my own country?"

Unfortunately the extremist university educated pro terrorist left wing student press twisted it to "White people suck." Their only goal is to bring about a race war

So let’s get this right, CC had no agenda coming to Australia? And what happened beyond his arrival had nothing to do with him seeing the country as viable for colonisation?
Back then colonisation wasn’t seen as the baaaaaad thing that the “progressives” have now decided it is. 🙄

I'll admit it does get terribly overused, especially when white upper managers do it in every Teams/Zoom meeting but there seems to be an abundance of people who think they're being 'welcomed' to Australia and cry "BuT i WaS BOrN HerE!!!!" without having any understanding of what the actual purpose of it is.

So, Brendan Kerin was entirely correct when he said it "wasn't for white people", because it's been around far longer than that.
Not in the current form though. It’s been turned into a performance for the very people it’s not for! 🤣

Thanks to the OP for making it blatantly obvious where he/she stood and saving me the ordeal of wading through the usual racist bullshit that it was designed to draw out like pus from pimples.

The usual presentism…
We were invaded in 1788 by the British, they came in took over the land, committed genocide against it's people and that was the norm at the time. What is unforgivable nearly two hundred and fifty years on is for sections of the population to still ignore this fact and refuse to believe the inter generational trauma and inequality that's still happening because of this.

Welcome to Country is actually a great idea apart from the fact most of us already live here, would make much more sense to conduct it at airports.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back