Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the method in the hitherto much-derided half-back flanker recruitment strategy. For every three HBFs (and of course you take three every year), you develop one into an elite midfielder.
Think About It GIF by Identity

Move to the midfield has been a masterstroke.

That kick to the lead of Treacy was not PG rated.

What is his ceiling? I thought he would be solid in the contest through the midfield, but hitting the scoreboard?

Didn’t think he’d be a forward 50 threat or be a clutch mark ahead of the ball.

Could Hayden Young be our best midfielder?

Is he already our best mid because of his impact in the front half?

Move to the midfield has been a masterstroke.

That kick to the lead of Treacy was not PG rated.

What is his ceiling? I thought he would be solid in the contest through the midfield, but hitting the scoreboard?

Didn’t think he’d be a forward 50 threat or be a clutch mark ahead of the ball.

Could Hayden Young be our best midfielder?

Is he already our best mid because of his impact in the front half?

I think he’s out best all round mid yes.

Clearance work is great, plays both ways and hits the scoreboard.

None of the other guys in that mix can do the full package.

Youngy could play any position on the ground to good effect

His current role gets the most out of him - midfielder for clearances, mid-forward at times to give us that connection piece and hitting the scoreboard.

He could reach an AA level half-back quite easily but between Ryan, Chapman and Clark we can cover that intercepting/rebounding role and the ceiling is higher for both him and the team playing centre/centre-forward.

I think just time and consistency playing like he is at the moment will see him top 10 player in the comp level by next year.

I think he’s out best all round mid yes.

Clearance work is great, plays both ways and hits the scoreboard.

None of the other guys in that mix can do the full package.
The full package is all of them together.
as in...
The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
They are a many headed beast!
And JL is the Beast Whisperer.
Yokai!

Last edited:
What we are seeing here is some early days Bont type stuff, his off season should just be watching Bont tapes on repeat on his stoppage work because every other facet of his game matches what the Bont can do.

Elite inside, elite outside, elite overhead and elite delivery to the forward 50. Him going forward and kicking his 1-3 goals a week has unlocked something I am not sure even the coaching staff knew we had. The only thing that might hold him back is our team orientated role focus. Can't see a world where JL and staff centre the plan on Young going berserk (which I agree with as a team plan unfortunately for Young).

This is his first season playing as a mid, if he just zones in on his connection with Darcy/Jackson and picks up on his stoppage/clearance work to hit at pace and move through the pack he has Brownlow capabilities. Thanks Crom :clapping:

The connection with Treacy is unreal, that pass to him, both knew exactly where it was going 3 seconds before anyone else did. Treacy literally led backwards pointing behind him but Young was already starting to kick into space. Treacy just had to turned around and mark the ball that was already in flight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a position to be in.

If there were to be a draft with just Freo mids involved it would be:
1) Young
2) Serong
3) Brayshaw

4) Johnson

And that top 3 could all go 1 pending a teams needs.

Johnson is coming with a bullet too!

Ouch - Won't even bother trying to defend myself here.

Funny thing is I remember being wrong sometimes - I never remember having a negative opinion on Young. I'd be interested to see if there was a game on right when I made this post. Still not an excuse but if I'd been smart enough to put in the game day thread the post would've been lost forever.

Ouch - Won't even bother trying to defend myself here.

Funny thing is I remember being wrong sometimes - I never remember having a negative opinion on Young. I'd be interested to see if there was a game on right when I made this post. Still not an excuse but if I'd been smart enough to put in the game day thread the post would've been lost forever.
Don't worry theres a post of mine floating around somewhere saying Lobb, Hogan and McCarthy were the future of our fwd line

The connection with Treacy is unreal, that pass to him, both knew exactly where it was going 3 seconds before anyone else did. Treacy literally led backwards pointing behind him but Young was already starting to kick into space. Treacy just had to turned around and mark the ball that was already in flight.
It was very similar to our fourth goal against Sydney.

Unfortunately I can't link a video that shows the behind the goal vision of Treacy's lead, but it is on the replay on the AFL app

One of them gave him a Pendles comparison which is why I got really excited.

I don't think he's Pendles, but he does have a lot of weapons.
I specifically remember someone basically said "it's game over if he gets into the midfield"

Narrator: He got into the midfield...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back